Leaking shower ...

Hi All,

I bought a property 8months ago with a newly renovated bathroom. Building & pest inspection was all good, even did a thermo check and no odd moisture was detected in the bathroom. However just this week my PM found a leak in one of the bedrooms. A plumber inspected and discovered that the leak was from the shower wall not having waterproofing membrane installed behind the tiles :eek: and now water has now gone into the timber flooring, ruining carpet and the timbers.

I have to get this fixed asap so as to prevent termites & further damages.

The plumber suggests the most permanent fix is to have the tiles ripped out and put in the membrane properly as sealing fixes are only temporary.

Alternatively he says there are plastic shower walls from bunnings. Is this reliable ?

What is the most reliable, cost effective long term solution to this issue ?

I have to hire a good trades person to do the job as the property is located interstate and I can't do it myself.

Please let me know.

Many thanks.

after doing a search on this topic on the forum, think i might skip the megaseal option and do the re-tile or fibreglass shower stalls but not sure how much they would cost.

Anyone who's had experience with this, could you please share some pointers on the pros and cons of either options and how much they could cost in Sydney ?

Also any reccomendations on a good tradies contacts would be much appreciated.

To do the remove tile, waterproof and retile you are looking at between 1200 and 1500 depending on the amount of work and grade of tile used.

I can refer a few tilers depending on where in sydney it is, I am sure others here also have good referrals.

Many thanks DaveM, would be much appreciated if you could give me some tiler contacts.

I've attached a photo of the bathroom. The property is in Ambarvale, Sydney.
Have also uploaded some images of the leaking and tiles close up that the plumber has taken. Looks like whoever that did the reno job last year didn't do it properly. Do you think these tiles would be able to be removed and reused again ?

Also how long does a 're-tile' job last before leaking could recur due to aging or earth movement etc(property is on a flat block & concreate slab)

Would retile last longer than enclosed shower cubicles ? which would have a greater prevention of leakage ?

Attachments

• Bath.jpg
    Bath.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 159
  • leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 143
  • leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 141
  • seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 133
  • drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 127
Found this shower screen on Bunnings website. Would having this installed on top of the existing shower tiles stop the leakage from the shower ?

Attachments

• Rick McClean Shower Screen.jpg
    Rick McClean Shower Screen.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Found this shower screen on Bunnings website. Would having this installed stop the leakage from the shower ?

The leak is through the shower floor area....that is why the water leak is happening.
There is no water barrier (aluminium angle) at the door transition so I would suggest that there is little or no waterproof membrane or it has been done very poorly.

The only way that I can think of to fix it without a complete tear up and retile is to install a shower wall AND base combination....it will not look as good as your existing bathroom.
Another way is to just waterproof the shower area, build a hob and lay tiles directly over the existing tiles using a shower screen.
This could work OK.

Sad as it looks good in the picture.......

Good luck

Last edited:
hi robboat,

With installing a new shower wall & base combination to stop the leakage, would the bunnings shower screen in the image attached above do ? can it just be installed on top of the existing tiles to permanently stop the leakage ?

At this stage, i'm just trying to permanently stop the leakage asap and worry about the appearance later. The bathroom looks nice but the possibility of getting termites\building structural damage is terrifying ~.~

your other suggestion of building a hob and lay tiles directly over the existing tiles using a shower screen.... does this mean putting the waterproof membrane on top of the existing tiles, then place another layer of tiles over it ....? Is this a more reliable fix than installing a shower wall & base on top ? How long will it take to do and how much will it cost ?

Thanks

The leak is through the shower floor area....that is why the water leak is happening.
There is no water barrier (aluminium angle) at the door transition so I would suggest that there is little or no waterproof membrane or it has been done very poorly.

The only way that I can think of to fix it without a complete tear up and retile is to install a shower wall AND base combination....it will not look as good as your existing bathroom.
Another way is to just waterproof the shower area, build a hob and lay tiles directly over the existing tiles using a shower screen.
This could work OK.

Sad as it looks good in the picture.......

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi Scott No Mates,

are you referring to the renovators who did the shower ? i'm not sure if the previous owner did this themselves or through a licensed builder. I'm currently waiting for the re agent to locate the previous owner's contacts to find out who actually did the bathroom.

If they did this themselves or hired a unlicensed handyman, is there any claim i make on this ?

Why is this not a claim on the bathroom renovtors insurance? The warranty for the membrane should cover this.

Why is this not a claim on the bathroom renovtors insurance? The warranty for the membrane should cover this.

If the tiling job was less than $3,300 the BSA will not come to your aid. Our son found this out recently when their tiler didn't install the L shaped barrier correctly. His price... guess what... $3,300. BSA will only step in for cases OVER $3,300 (Queensland - unsure if this is different in each state).

Original tiler has tried to remedy but it is a botch job. They thought they needed to at least allow him to remedy. Now they will have it redone and take him to small claims court (whatever it is called now) and try to force him to pay for the botch he made of it.

They have water leaking through to the brand new ceilings under the bathroom and the freshly polished timber boards outside the bathroom are cupped. I wonder why the tiler's account came in at $3,300? :rolleyes:

Hi wylie,

gosh your son's incident sounds quite stressful. hope everything is ok now.
what's BSA ?

If the tiling job was less than $3,300 the BSA will not come to your aid. Our son found this out recently when their tiler didn't install the L shaped barrier correctly. His price... guess what... $3,300. BSA will only step in for cases OVER $3,300 (Queensland - unsure if this is different in each state).

Original tiler has tried to remedy but it is a botch job. They thought they needed to at least allow him to remedy. Now they will have it redone and take him to small claims court (whatever it is called now) and try to force him to pay for the botch he made of it.

They have water leaking through to the brand new ceilings under the bathroom and the freshly polished timber boards outside the bathroom are cupped. I wonder why the tiler's account came in at $3,300? :rolleyes:

DaveM, could you please let me know the good tilers' names and contacts that you would reccommend in sydney ?

many thanks

To do the remove tile, waterproof and retile you are looking at between 1200 and 1500 depending on the amount of work and grade of tile used.

I can refer a few tilers depending on where in sydney it is, I am sure others here also have good referrals.

I have used the shower walls from bunnings for the same situation. They have been fantastic. Fixed all the leaks and has been installed for over 3 years now.It also looks great and no chasing tenants to clean the mouldy grout.

I am very pleased with the result.

hi jenni_nextplace, that's awesome news!!

do you remember the shower wall product you purchased from bunnings, did you get the cubicle unit or 4 separate walls then assembled them together ?

did you install the shower walls yourself or hire a trades person to install them ?

Just called bunnings and they say only delivery service is available but not installation :(

jenni_nextplace, was your bathroom issue also due to warerproof membrane not installed as well ?

Just called another bunnings store and a staff told me that having these shower walls alone won't cure the leaks permanently, the best way is to rip the tiles up and redo the shower with new tiles :(

does anyone have contacts of good and reliable tilers they would reccommend in sydney ?

Last edited:
Surely there would have to be some sort of insurance claim against the builder you can make? Have you spoken to your solicitor about this?

hi robboat,

With installing a new shower wall & base combination to stop the leakage, would the bunnings shower screen in the image attached above do ? can it just be installed on top of the existing tiles to permanently stop the leakage ?

At this stage, i'm just trying to permanently stop the leakage asap and worry about the appearance later. The bathroom looks nice but the possibility of getting termites\building structural damage is terrifying ~.~

your other suggestion of building a hob and lay tiles directly over the existing tiles using a shower screen.... does this mean putting the waterproof membrane on top of the existing tiles, then place another layer of tiles over it ....? Is this a more reliable fix than installing a shower wall & base on top ? How long will it take to do and how much will it cost ?

Thanks

The shower screen alone will not fix any leaks through the floor.

Putting a waterproof membrane over the existing shower area and laying tiles directly over the existing tiles with a hob will fix the leaks.

Properly fitting a shower base, screen and walls will fix the leaks.....

Reasonable costs involved with any of these options.....and I hope you have some recourse with the renovator to get compensation.

Still doesn't fix your problems.....

Can't recommend a local tiler yet....they have all been below expectations....my own work is just as good, just a lot slower.

Good luck

hi bcole2012,

the sales agent told me today that the previous owner did this themselves and since its already sold they don't want to have anything to do with it anymore. :mad: the reno looks quite recent.

Surely there would have to be some sort of insurance claim against the builder you can make? Have you spoken to your solicitor about this?

Back