Leaking shower ...

hi robboat,

i spoke to a few tilers and a builder today explaining the issue. both suggested that i rip the whole bathroom up, redo membrane, replace shower screen, fittings & and re-tile. cost is going to be between 7k-9k :eek:

as you suggested, i asked about putting in a waterproof membrane over the existing shower area and laying tiles directly over the existing tiles with a hob. They say that won't help fix the issue permanently. :rolleyes:

the inspected plumber says its got quite a very bad membrane failure and so does the builder after looking at the pics.

the previous owner did this themselves. what i don't get is they had been living there for 6 years, surely the leakage would have existed for a while ? building inspection with thermo check didn't pick up any odd moisture in the bathroom 8 months ago when i bought the place so it must have been quite recent ? in that case can i make any claims from the prev owner ?

The shower screen alone will not fix any leaks through the floor.

Putting a waterproof membrane over the existing shower area and laying tiles directly over the existing tiles with a hob will fix the leaks.

Properly fitting a shower base, screen and walls will fix the leaks.....

Reasonable costs involved with any of these options.....and I hope you have some recourse with the renovator to get compensation.

Still doesn't fix your problems.....

Can't recommend a local tiler yet....they have all been below expectations....my own work is just as good, just a lot slower.

Good luck

Back