Light bulbs blowing??

Heres a question for the forum electricians.

My tenants have been in our Ip for 8 weeks now and mentioned the have gone thru a qty of 4 light bulbs in the hall way so far.

there is 2 batten holder lights in the hall using standard bulbs which both operate when turned on by either of the two way switchs . They have replaced 3 in one of them and the other one once.

Is there any reason which may cause these to occur? i agree that 4 lamps in 8 weeks seems quite alot. any hints on preventing this?

Hi whit

That’s sure is excessive. A few things to consider

The heat developed by the globe is not escaping (concealed light fitting)

A resistive joint has developed in the light fitting that, over time, goes open circuit giving the impression that the globe has failed. You will wiggle the fitting when you put a new globe in and it will appear fixed….for a little while.

Cheapy globes (Although unlikely. Even the cheapies do better than this.)

Agree with Cosmo,
If you do go and buy light bulbs, try and buy good quality.
When you buy a standard incandescent BC light bulb, (Bayonet Cap), try to find one with RC on it. The RC stands for reinforced construction & has a heavier duty filament in it.
JIM

ok i will check out the batten holder next time i am up there. they just have standard PDL chinaman hat shades on them so heat build up should not matter.

I had the same problem with my own house and eventualy put in thoose small fluro ones (the expensive type) and 6 years later i haven't needed to replace one yet.

Chris

Anything else on the same circuit causing power spikes?

Sometimes you get funny things wired onto light circuits....

Examples - Fans, Heat Lamps etc.

Does it coincide with turning something else on / off? Fridge cycling on / off.

Turn off the circuit and find out what doesn't work anymore.

May help..... may not.....

Good luck.

Your house voltage is rarely at a level 240v. Ive seen it vary from about 220v to 260v depending on load (in your house and in the area) and sometimes cheap globes dont like the surges. Usually higher voltage cause a build up of heat that the lamp cant dissipate quickly enough and POP!

Do what JJJ suggested and buy your tenants the highest quality globes you can find with RC on them and if that dont work, go the BC fluoro enegy saver ones.

Whitt,

How old is the IP?
Older properties tend to use rubber insulated cable, not only does the rubber deteriorate but the copper does too, I have known the copper to snap off causing a hot joint at the terminaton.
Newer houses tend to experience more voltage fluctuations at the mains, another problem for the incandescent globe.

Another thing you mentioned was the PDL brand, made in NZ, so probably very common over there. I have had all sorts of problems with the PDL brand in the past but mainly with the GPO's (power points) and light switches. They dont seem to be anywhere near the quality of HPM or Clipsal. Maynot be related but its possible.

Suggestion

1. Try the flourescent globe trick as previously suggested, they are a lot more resilient to voltage fluctuations and spikes than standard incandescent globes

2. If that doesn't work you may need to get an electrician to check the terminations in the lights, check the wires are tightly twisted together, the grub screw is tight.
Obviously this is the more expensive option.

Only basic but hope it helps.
Mark

the house is 40 years old.
Spoke to tenants and they said the bulb has not blown for a couple of weeks.
i will get them to tell me if it does, then i will try:

1-inspect lamp holder and fit RC type bulb.
2- If problem persists install a couple of those fluro energy saving bulbs.

I will see how we go.

Back