Line of credit vs Top up split with offset

Generally I recommend the standard term loan due to the fact that LOCs are a bit more expensive and have that repayment clause in there. As long as the funds are directed properly it's no different to a LOC.

Yes, the main danger is mixing borrowed and non-borrowed funds.

Oh OK I would do whatever it takes to avoid this situation. That's why I want separate loans with separate offsets.

Having said that LOC looks tempting becuase it just looks so flexible to use. But I am put off by the repayment on demand clause. I had a look at the Portfolio Loan T&C from St George and it said:

Variable rate sub-accounts
We may demand that you repay the whole or
part of the sub-account total amount owing at
any time unless the interest rate under the subaccount
is a fixed rate. You must repay in full the
amount we demand at the time we specify in the
demand.
You acknowledge that there is no agreement,
arrangement or understanding between you and
us that we may demand repayment only when
a particular event occurs or does not occur.

How often do banks ask investors to repay LOCs?

I have asked several bank BDMs if they know of this clause ever being imposed?

Some don't even realise it is there or even heard of it and all have said they have never heard of the "repayable on demand" clause being imposed.

A "perfect storm" of financial pressures would be the likely testing ground for the "repayable on demand" clause kicking into gear.

I have asked several bank BDMs if they know of this clause ever being imposed?

Some don't even realise it is there or even heard of it and all have said they have never heard of the "repayable on demand" clause being imposed.

A "perfect storm" of financial pressures would be the likely testing ground for the "repayable on demand" clause kicking into gear.

I've never seen or heard of a loan being demanded to be repaid, but it could happen if the person was slowly going down the gurgler. Probably harder under NCCP covered loans though.

Repayment clauses are usually enforced in commercial transactions rather than residential. The more common thing is for them to close your unused LOC.

Repayment clauses are usually enforced in commercial transactions rather than residential. The more common thing is for them to close your unused LOC.

Yes, and there was a thread on here a few months back where a bank closed down someone's unused LOC.

the prime difference between offset and LOC/redraw is this

In offset, your money stays your money

If you place your money into an LOC or a redraw it becomes the banks money, and the T&Cs of that loan contract apply.

Its that simple

ta
rolf

Hi All,

I have been advised by most brokers either way LOC/Offset

We currently own our PPOR (430K)
1 BROKER SUGGESTS TO USE THE FULL EQUITY 344k and use part as the deposit for investment loan and the other in an offset account

2nd Broker suggests to do the same but using LOC with rates .4% more and $395 annual fee compared to no fees and only $9 a month for the offset....

Will the offset be split or linked between ppor and ip and is this easy to work out when rent goes to offset and ezpenses go out for tax purposes?

Thanks

Hi All,

1 BROKER SUGGESTS TO USE THE FULL EQUITY 344k and use part as the deposit for investment loan and the other in an offset account

2nd Broker suggests to do the same but using LOC with rates .4% more and $395 annual fee compared to no fees and only $9 a month for the offset....

Will the offset be split or linked between ppor and ip and is this easy to work out when rent goes to offset and ezpenses go out for tax purposes?

Thanks

So your PPOR is unencumbered?

'using the equity' is a vague concept - sounds like he might be suggesting cross collateralising the loan by borrowing 103% of the purchase price of the investment and using both properties as security. Not a good idea.

Using a LOC on the PPOR and then borrowing the 20% deposit from this loan with the remaining 80% secured on the IP is the way to go.

One offset on the IP loan is all that is needed. No need to put wages and rents into different accounts as this will have no effect.

the prime difference between offset and LOC/redraw is this

In offset, your money stays your money

If you place your money into an LOC or a redraw it becomes the banks money, and the T&Cs of that loan contract apply.

Its that simple

ta
rolf

Isnt money in an offset account derived from borrowed funds now considered as savings not borrowed funds therefore technically not tax deductable if used for investment purposes from ATOs perspective?

Also been lead to believe the bank can still access your offset account if they chiose to because you have violated the loan t&c?

Money in a LOC or redraw is still considered borrowed funds so from an unexpected ATO audit you would be better off?

Hi All,

Thanks

Go to 80% on your PPOR and use a portion for deposit + costs for an IP and borrow the remainder secured against the IP. The reamining funds can be used for future IP purchases serviceability permitting. Make sure you set up a seperate loan split if you intend to use some of these funds for personal use to avoid contamination.

$9/month for an offset account. Sounds like Bankwest?

Have just done this myself but is it necessary if offset is now considered savings?

I still would keep it seperate incase you get audited as this will definitley contaminate the borrowings. Mixing investment and personal funds even if in an offset will only make it messier.

Yes it is

Is it best to start with an 80% LVR or 90% for your first IP?

I can do 90% and still get under 4.4% obviously with LMI attached

Otherwise 80%LVR will be around 4.34%

Depends on your risk profile and funds available for either a buffer or your next purchase so really needs to be answered in line with your short, medium and longer term goals?

I aim to set clients up on an 88% + lmi so the deal stays under 90% and the lmi premium is exponentially lower in comparison to a 90% + lmi deal.

So in short, yes it can be a good strategy.

Got it!

OK, Think i have the structure set now...

AMP LOAN
Using 80%/90%? equity from PPOR
(H) PPOR - refinance
(SPLIT LOANS)
(L1) Deposit from PPOR using equity for IP1
(L2) Loan for IP1
(L3) Deposit from PPOR equity for IP2
(L4) Loan for IP2

etc etc

This will keep the deposit loan and IP as one so to speak to know how each IP is performing and not be linked with PPOR. Rent will go back onto IP loan and will be having the loans set up as P&I to gain equity back within the IP.

Can also setup savings for each IP Loan for expenses and possible rent to go into but this could be too many accounts covering each IP

Thoughts?

Thanks

OK, Think i have the structure set now...

AMP LOAN
Using 80%/90%? equity from PPOR
(H) PPOR - refinance
(SPLIT LOANS)
(L1) Deposit from PPOR using equity for IP1
(L2) Loan for IP1
(L3) Deposit from PPOR equity for IP2
(L4) Loan for IP2

etc etc

This will keep the deposit loan and IP as one so to speak to know how each IP is performing and not be linked with PPOR. Rent will go back onto IP loan and will be having the loans set up as P&I to gain equity back within the IP.

Can also setup savings for each IP Loan for expenses and possible rent to go into but this could be too many accounts covering each IP

Thoughts?

Thanks

Not sure I understand what you are doing, but it doesn't sound good.

Is all your non deductible debt paid off?

I don't understand why do we need offset here.

What I am doing is split equity to new loan with all money in loan account. Basically balance 0. Only redraw on investment demand. Every penny is deductible. According to my accountant.

I don't understand why do we need offset here.

What I am doing is split equity to new loan with all money in loan account. Basically balance 0. Only redraw on investment demand. Every penny is deductible. According to my accountant.

I am still not sure what you are doing.

Sounds like you may be just splitting the loan. In that case as long as you use the redraw money properly - ie paying straight to the expense with no detours - then you will probably be ok. No need for an offset here, but you would want to have one on your non deductible debt.

Back