Lining paper to cover chips and cracks

We've just removed some horrible old wallpaper only to discover the wall is just covered in chips and cracks. Too many to try and use spack filler on really.

My sister mentioned that you can get lining paper that you can apply and then paint over.
Has any body heard of it or ever tried using lining paper ? I don't really know anything about it.

Thanks

Use a multi purpose basecoat from the plaster shop,you can buy 15 litres for around $30,enough to plaster up two houses,use a broad trowel and apply a thin layer on the whole wall.

It sands off so easy with a sanding pad,no effort at all.

Will you be painting or re wallpapering? Haven't heard of lining paper to fill cracks before but have used multi purpose basecoat and it works a treat ( and yes concur with Pa1nter- it can do 2 houses!)

Holly

I'd have thought that skim coating a whole wall would be a job for either a plasterer or other professional (painter/decorator) to get a first class finish. Is this something that your average DIYer can pull off successfully?
(Asked by someone who is very anal about wall surfaces)

Last edited:
^^ is an average Joe,
first try ok, functional
second try better
read the instructions
third job, this is easy
Amateur ::proffessional
how much paint do I need for this job::how much job can I do with this paint
noahs ark ::RMS Titanic
gossamer albatross: across the world::shuttle challenger: across the world​

We used lining paper to go over a wall where we'd removed the existing wallpaper and the paint came off with it in the pattern of the wallpaper. I'd never put wallpaper up before, so it wasn't a perfect job! :p

However, we then painted over with a textured paint and it came up really well. I suggest that unless a textured paint was used, at least 2 undercoats and 2 to 3 topcoats would be required.

while we are on the subject of cracks i had an extension done to PPOP 3 yrs ago and not there are cracks appearing at the joining point of the old house and new part in the ceiling. Have tried filling but they keep reappearing.Any ideas on how to get rid off.

Also had the outside brick plastered and it seems to have a lot of cracking now. it wasnt sealed at the time is this the reason for the cracking and can it be sealed now to prevent further damage.

My Nana lived in a old house, I recall her telling me as a child that they filled cracks with a mixture of newspaper, and ?what I am not sure then they painted over it. Her hundred year old house is still standing

Do you need to do a coat of "top coat" on top of the basecoat? Or is it fine to paint over the basecoat once it's set and sanded?

Hi reno

You should be able to get lining paper from a wallpaper store

It is quite common to use a lining paper under wallpaper if the wall is irregular

The lining paper is applied horizontally ie across the wall, and the wallpaper is hung down the wall

If the wall has previously had wallpaper, why not paper the wall again, but in a plain embossed ie textured or patterned paper, rather than a printed paper? You can then paint over the top of the paper and have a wall like Nina's (Offspring) - major dramatic presence!

We have been doing the rounds of the display homes, and believe me, textured wall papers are the next big thing in interior decorating!

For large rooms, high ceilings, hard floor areas, a textured wall paper takes the 'edge' off the echo in the room, reflects light in interesting ways and add the extra dimension of texture - some of the textures were quite rugged!

So if you already have a rugged wall, why not add to it - save yourself a heap of work and be at the cutting edge of fashion at the same time!

Cheers
Kristine

Back