List of Quality Service People with (Mates Rates)

i use the following formula ,if you are my kids you pay for the materials and i will make it for you ,if you are friends of my kids you will get 15 percent off the price ,if neither myself or my kids know you ,why should i give you a discount :eek:

That sounds good in theory but I was also wondering how many readers Somersoft has.

Also wouldn't these readers be your target demographic? Seems a strange business logic to say "rack off" to potential clients on your doorstep.

Lots of businesses would scramble for this type of free advertising. We are not talking one stranger asking for a discount here.

so you get the business instead of it goes to your competitors !

Perhaps Tom places a high enough value on his work that he is not prepared to compromise on that? And, that his business is going well enough that he does not have to undercut the competition in order to get new clients?

Yes, happy to refer contacts that have taken me years of hit and miss to find so that by using my name without me knowing you , my suppliers may feel obliged to offer mates rates making them less profitable (they are good and cheap already). Then when I need something done I can take a number after they are swamped with high volume low(er) return work.

Sure...let me find my little black book with all the numbers and names in it.............:cool:

Perhaps Tom places a high enough value on his work that he is not prepared to compromise on that? And, that his business is going well enough that he does not have to undercut the competition in order to get new clients?

bingo !!!!!!!!!!! someone who understands ,business is tough enough without devalueing your own product ,would you get an employee to cut their own wages because their employer was having a tough time making ends meek ,NO ,what you would have is the employee looking for another job and jumping ship on the employer ,you may think that your own work is worth nothing but in and on any renos i look to undertake i factor in my time to see if it stacks up ,some do most dont ,my time is worth something to me as it should be to you ,and giving a discounted price to all and sundry is a sure fire way to go broke ,mainly because i may get a job on a discounted price ,so that means that the other 2 or so businesses miss out on the job ,they then have a work shortfall so they discount on their next few quotes ,which you now have 2 or more other businesses discounting their product and so on and so on ,in the end everyone is running close to a break or broke line so the enevitable way to raise profits is to suppliment your product with cheaper products and materials ,soon everyone is doing that ,so who really looses out in all this .YOU .because you asked for a cheaper price you end up with a cheap product .
I have a saying that goes "if i am going to go broke ,i will do it by lounging around the pool playing with my grandkids ,and drinking beer when i choose ,not working for nothing to end up with the same result":)

Also wouldn't these readers be your target demographic? Seems a strange business logic to say "rack off" to potential clients on your doorstep. Lots of businesses would scramble for this type of free advertising. We are not talking one stranger asking for a discount here.[/QUOTE said:
this is the common thought ,but as i troll through postings in this forum ,you are continually buying ikea or bunnings kitchens for your projects ,so asking me for a discount is really a moot point because you will still buy the other products only use my discounted price as a yardstick or argueing point to try to get a further discount ,

and the second point is about me not talking about one stranger asking for a discount ,what your are asking for is maybe lots of people asking for a discount ,so my first comment stands :D

Well put. Exactly the same reason I don't plug my legal practice on this forum. In fact I'm referral only for the most part. When clients come in and starton about price I happily refer them to competition- I've got enough work on and the time spent haggling on price can be used better on other tasks.

Wonder what will happen when sub contractors' start arguing using OFT Info figures

Hubby went to a Office of Fair Trading Information Expo on Wednesday night at Tweed Heads.

Aim of Info session
  • To provide local tradespeople with an opportunity to obtain advice on business management; insolvency issues; dispute resolution; compliance; home building licensing; home warranty insurance; and other related government services.

One thing that stuck in hubby's mind was one speaker said that contractors should be charging $65.00 per hour.

Now I know on our last project the painter charged his employees out at $45.00 per hour (and told me there was no profit in what he was doing) and the subcontract carpenter who had 2 apprentices charged less.

Local Builder - mates rates is 15% on top of invoiced cost of sub contractors.

Sheryn

Great idea this thread was, just unfortunate there is zero interest...............

i dont know about zero interest ,i for one am always interested as to how people try to explain away their actions in trying to get something cheaper ,they want someone else to discount but would not think of discounting their own efforts.
Heres an idea why dont i offer a discount of 10 percent on my product and the renovaror agrees to give me 10 percent of the profit on their project ,
seems fair to me ,but then again thats where it falls down to :eek:

I don't agree that there is no interest in this thread. It is just that, for me, I would like lists of local plumbers, electricians, painters, pest men etc, but I don't want "mates rates". I want good tradesmen at fair prices, who come with recommendations from previous users.

I think I will start another thread along this vein.

i dont know about zero interest ,i for one am always interested as to how people try to explain away their actions in trying to get something cheaper ,they want someone else to discount but would not think of discounting their own efforts.
Never a truer word said!!!

As has already been mentioned I don't think it should be as much about gettting a discount but rather reliable tradesman that can be trusted to give value for service. But then again maybe that still is giving a discount as it may be that a tradesman maximises his earning capacity by cutting corners and charging the full rate.

Cheers

Well whatever the reason, we called upon someone who had offered their services & it was good to know we were being helped us by getting a job done and helping someone earn some extra income.

We got a job done & they got some extra $ - I think this was maybe meant to be the purpose of this thread - not just getting a discounted rate?

Thanks again (you know who you are) & we will certainly keep you in mind for other jobs & friends needs too.

Cheers
Stella

Heres an idea why dont i offer a discount of 10 percent on my product and the renovaror agrees to give me 10 percent of the profit on their project ,
seems fair to me ,but then again thats where it falls down to :eek:

Because if people gave everyone a cut of their project there would be no project, and YOU'D have less business (and yes I realise this was your exaxt point earlier about there being no viable business if everyone cuts their prices, just saying it goes both ways).

There's nothing wrong with asking for a discount, just as there is nothing wrong with denying one. Why should a stranger assume that you've given them your best price? If like cu@thetop said you have enough work and don't need to discount then fantastic, but if you're not working at full capacity and flat out refuse to give even small discounts to get more business then you're throwing money down the drain.

I don't agree that there is no interest in this thread. It is just that, for me, I would like lists of local plumbers, electricians, painters, pest men etc, but I don't want "mates rates". I want good tradesmen at fair prices, who come with recommendations from previous users.

I think I will start another thread along this vein.

Interest here....will keep a look out for the new thread!

Personally I'm not after something for nothing...happy to pay a fair (good) price for a good job. Sourcing recommendations from friends and family can be a bit limiting, leaving you with a bit of a hit and miss scenario.
Hiring a known quantity can give peace of mind in terms of the likely quality of the job to be done.

Cheers
Leonie

A few years ago I had a few "tame" subbies who did a good job and were reliable. They weren't cheap and I wouldn't expect "mates rates" just an efficient job done.Not having a major reno underway for a while the contacts have all moved on or retired. My darling husband had always been "the man'' to call in to do all the small to medium jobs which owning a few investment properties entails. After a four year illness when he was unable to do anything and I was fully occupied nursing him until his recent death( A privilege- but that is a story of a journey for another time) I am project managing the reno of an apartment for my son-- Have just done weeks of tiling,restoring walls ,timber etc in readiness for finishing ,etc But oh how I miss the care & attention he gave to all the jobs I can't handle. I would so appreciate a reliable handyman/carpenter. I need people on Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs and City, Sydney. I will be posting recommendations on this Site should I find someone who is competent for all the general work needed in maintaining resi props should I find someone.-- The "handyman" types seem to be the blokes who are inept at everything so now try their hand at a bit of anything-- Do something that might just hold together till they grab cash and get out the door- Not to mention they all think they can exploit a 67 year old dressed in filthy work clothes- I 'd left me pearls & diamond at home that week LOL- Trust others will share and promote the reasonably competent tradesmen on this thread Thanks-

I am so sad to read your story just now and want to pass on my condolences. I cannot imagine not having my hubby around. He is the other half of me and we are like peas in a pod, best mates, lovers, friends and we still muck around and giggle together like a pair of teenagers. I really feel for you.

He also is the one who fixes anything for our own houses and my mum's houses (now that my dad has alzheimers and cannot do anything at all to maintain them). We would all be lost without him.

Good luck finding a handyman to help you.

Oh Wylie you are v thoughtful and kind to post that-- Yes we had the same sort of relationship-- Part of the privilege was that I kept him at home and he died with me attending him till the end- and our children by his side- Best not high jack this thread-- I am working hard trying to anaethesise the pain-Thank you

bingo !!!!!!!!!!! someone who understands ,business is tough enough without devalueing your own product ,would you get an employee to cut their own wages because their employer was having a tough time making ends meek ,NO ,what you would have is the employee looking for another job and jumping ship on the employer ,you may think that your own work is worth nothing but in and on any renos i look to undertake i factor in my time to see if it stacks up ,some do most dont ,my time is worth something to me as it should be to you ,and giving a discounted price to all and sundry is a sure fire way to go broke ,mainly because i may get a job on a discounted price ,so that means that the other 2 or so businesses miss out on the job ,they then have a work shortfall so they discount on their next few quotes ,which you now have 2 or more other businesses discounting their product and so on and so on ,in the end everyone is running close to a break or broke line so the enevitable way to raise profits is to suppliment your product with cheaper products and materials ,soon everyone is doing that ,so who really looses out in all this .YOU .because you asked for a cheaper price you end up with a cheap product .
I have a saying that goes "if i am going to go broke ,i will do it by lounging around the pool playing with my grandkids ,and drinking beer when i choose ,not working for nothing to end up with the same result":)

We don't give discounts either.... Our motto is....

We don't discount our quality--why should we discount our price?"

Often hubby gets asked "What discount can you give me? he usually answers with (pen poised over the quote) What would you like to me to leave out to bring it down to that price?"

Anyway back to topic. I think a "recommended tradie list" would be great.

Back