Listed through agent, found my own tenant, what is the right thing to do?

Hiya, First of all I want to do the right thing by the agent although I feel they are trying to get maximum cash out of me..

I rang an agent who I used a few years ago and asked them to reactivate my realestate.com.au listing. The plan was to use them to rent out the property and I would self manage. As I understand they receive the first weeks rent for doing this, in this case it is $700.

They received no leads in this time and I was able to secure my own tenants show the place, do the agreement, everything. The agent only relisted an old ad, nothing else.

I rang and asked them to take it off and how much they would like, they said $500.

I want to be fair and pay, however I feel this is way too much for the work. I didn't sign anything, it was just a phonecall. Does anyone have an opinion on my situation? I feel ok with paying for there service but I feel $500 is just too much. I'm considering transferring $200 and telling them that this is a fair price for the work.. Can they legally do anything to me?

1. are you saying the agent advertised your property without an agreement in place?

2. do you want to burn this relationship with the agent?

3. nah, that's all I've got.

Legally, if you did not sign anything then there is probably little they can do if you refuse to pay.

However, you will be burning your boats and won't be able to use them again, and also morally unfair as they will have been charged something for the listing on the internet.

Why not offer to go halves?
Marg

Technically they aren't entitled to zip as there's no agency agreement. RE.com subscription is much less than $1000/mth. Talk to the pm and pay them for their trouble ie $100 max.

However, you will be burning your boats and won't be able to use them again, and also morally unfair as they will have been charged something for the listing on the internet.
Marg

Actually, I think the Agency is burning their boats (or bridges) by trying to take advantage and charge you $500.

Cost for multiple site advertising is no more than $200 thru a third party supplier such as Landlords Choice. Suggest you offer to pay them $200 as a sign of good faith if they provide invoice for that amount, otherwise forget it.

Ask them to send you an itemised invoice to justify the $500 work?

They are taking the p*#s by the sounds of it.

Ps. I have heard of bridges being burnt, but boats :)

$500?! :O

If they didn't show anyone through, take applications etc. I'd say $100 is plenty reasonable.

Technically if there was no agreement they are not entitled to a cent.

Legally, you owe them nothing.

Morally, I guess that's up to you. However, $500 would not be considered fair value for the work that they have done.

Back