Live in granny flat and rent main house out

Hi all,

I have just brought a property which is 890 sqm. Most of the current house, shed, pool etc is towards the front of the house. House has driveways both sides of the house.

I have been thinking about dividing the block a little and putting in a transportable. I would then live in the transportable. Renting the house out.

What are peoples thoughts?? Could I still claim it as a investment property??

Cheers?

Each to their own!

You certainly would be living for delayed gratification.

If your goal is to create X income/net worth/etc asap then living as frugally as possible and diverting the max $$$ towards your investments is the best strategy.

This would need to be approved by the local council.

Make an anonymous phone call and ask them what the rules are.

Why not have a nice 2 bed relocatable air cond home for yourself and have someone else pay the bills :D

And offer to look after the pool if the tenant lets you use it. Otherwise you'd go mad in Brisbane living within spitting distance of a pool you own but can't use.
Scott

If you did this, wouldnt you lose the CGT relief for selling your home, if you later sold it, as it was a combined investment and PPR. That could cost you lots of money!

I am not sure of all the ins and outs. This why I was putting the idea out there.

I would just just put a transportable, again not sure of the legalitys and also if it would cost me

Yard has enough space for transportable, I would fence second driveway and close of the yard.

I live in a 1 bedroom flat now, so 2 bedroom transportable would be a step up in some ways.

Also I could rent out flat and rent house, then I have two incomes, just not sure of legalities

Back