Liverpool/Wattle Grove -> Upcoming Freight Terminals Impact!!

Hello All,

I've been hunting for a PPOR in Sydney's South-West for quite some time now in the suburbs of Holsworthy and Glenfield.

Yesterday I came across a wonderful property in Wattle Grove which I thought was priced right. However I soon stumbled on the news about the upcoming Freight Terminals in the neighborhood.

I'd like the opinion of the forum members who know the area about the possible impact this would have in terms of noise/traffic/capital gains etc when these freight terminals start operations. Is this in anyway related to the flurry of sales happening to unsuspecting buyers in these suburbs?

Of course there is also this school of thought that this would in fact make these suburbs more popular due to increased demand for housing/markets etc.

Really confused now as I was so looking to proceed with this property but do not want to be in a situation where value of houses crash down after I buy.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
SK

Last edited:
I'm also considering Liverpool as well for an investment property. However, its so far away from the CBD that I'm not sure whether it will attract tennants. If it does, the rent isn't much better than $300/wk.

I've read articles that stipulate the potential in Liverpool but I'm not sure I can see that happening.

i can give example what we have here on melbourne, on footscray suburb, there is a pocket where all the trucks (with container) driving past every day and night, and recently, all the residents just objecting the goverment dreging of bay ? by protesting on the street

i got a friend who rent up there, and i can feel the vibration when one of these monster drive past (his place is just next to the main road).

so i am not sure the street that you will be buying will be prone to that.

just my 2C

Thanks all for your replies. Yes not to mention, M5 motorway clogged with trucks when operations begin. Anyway I have decided not to go through with this purchase and decided not to buy in the suburb at all. I hope first home buyers considering the suburb to live in realise the possible impact before proceeding.

I'm also considering Liverpool as well for an investment property. However, its so far away from the CBD that I'm not sure whether it will attract tennants.

Why wouldn't it? rental vacancies on the city's outskirts are something like 1% and rents in wattle grove have traditionaly been higher than surrounding suburbs due to competition with defence housing.

Traveling to the city is no problem.
Express trains from Holsworthy can get you there in approx 40minutes.

the rent isn't much better than $300/wk.
For the rent to be $300/wk it would have to be a rundown fibro house.
I don't know what your property looks like but I doubt that it will be as above

I'm also considering Liverpool as well for an investment property. However, its so far away from the CBD that I'm not sure whether it will attract tennants. If it does, the rent isn't much better than $300/wk.

I've read articles that stipulate the potential in Liverpool but I'm not sure I can see that happening.

Not everyone in Sydney has to live 5 minutes away from the city. Not everyone can afford this or even WANT this. People may like the space and the land that the area offers. Because I am young i want to live in the city because i want to be close to work and i want to go out a fair bit and live the inner city lifestyle. In saying that when im 35 I doubt I will want to live in an inner city pad, i would want a nice house with a garden near the water and a big back yard for my kids to play in. I wont focus as much on partying and going to bars because im sure i will have other priorities at that age

Not everyone in Sydney has to live 5 minutes away from the city. Not everyone can afford this or even WANT this. People may like the space and the land that the area offers. Because I am young i want to live in the city because i want to be close to work and i want to go out a fair bit and live the inner city lifestyle. In saying that when im 35 I doubt I will want to live in an inner city pad, i would want a nice house with a garden near the water and a big back yard for my kids to play in. I wont focus as much on partying and going to bars because im sure i will have other priorities at that age

Yep, your correct there Tash. I’ve done that and been there, lived close to CBD got married, then kids came along & moved 34km away from CBD. Now happily living in a house with average size yard + pool. We all enjoy the life style out here, it’s a family orientated suburb, lots of friends & Christmas party’s with neighbourhood.

I understand that allot of young people like being close to CBD with night life style & work, but like you said that they will in need for a family home some time in their life.

Cheers
George

Back