Loan for 2nd IP

Hi all,

My 6 months is up today and looking for IP #2. I need your help on financing tips.

Basically, I purchased a property 6 months ago and have since lived in the property to qualify for FHOG.

Since my 6 months is up today, I have been able to get a private tenant with rent being $230 per week.

Furthermore I have a bit of equity built up in this property as the loan balance is $119,000 whereas the valuation should be circa $150,000 (based on price of units that have sold in same block- not formal valuation).

My loan is currently with CBA, on the 3 year special economizer and I plan to either top-up (no fees charged other than extra LMI) or get a Line of Credit ($600 fees). If the valuation comes in at $150,000, I should be able to extract $23,500 of equity built up ($150,000*0.95 - $119,000) to use for Stamp Duty, deposit and solicitors costs for my future IP.

My current income is $30,000 annually and I have had some success in the sharemarket this year, so far having capital gains of $8,000 (I assume I cannot use this as income) and Dividend income of $2,000 (From CFD's)

Other Assets that I have is $6,000 in shares and another $11,500 in my CFD (shares on drugs) account.

I have just browsed at a few properties online and basically have two options. Buying houses in areas such as Frankston North for around $250,000 with subdivision potential and rent being around $250 pw or purchasing units in high yield suburbs like Auburn where a $250,000 2 bed unit can rent around $350 pw.

Another property I was looking at was a block with 4 finger lot titles, in which 4 duplexes could be built. Since I do not have a high income, I cannot go at this alone, and I have had a look at this with three friends (who are First Home buyers and earn twice as much as I do).
Would there be anyway to purchase this property so that each of their names including mine are on each title instead of the whole block itself, so that they are all eligible for FHOG when the duplexes are built. What would be the best financing option to do this?

Anyway, from the above, what are my best options and since I do not have a large amount of equity was looking at a 95% LVR loan. Furthermore, I also hope to fix sometime in the near future, so anything with minimal switching fees would be great.

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its not actually a block. Theres a 3 bed fibro house on it which is built on four titles. The house is also currently rented out.

My question was can four friends buy it together (3 of them are FHB's) and since we plan to demolish the fibro house and build four torrens title duplexes, will my other 3 friends still each be eligible for FHOG and how would we arrange the loan.

Hiya

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe. Id be asking that question directly to the OSR in ur state.

Issues that come to mind from a lending point of view are , 95 % , purchase is currently in ONE line, FHOG not available until build contract signed. Some lenders will advance the FHOG on land settlement. OSR wont pay the FHOG until foundations laid.

ta
rolf

Just buy another property at or around the same value as your current property. Do it with CBA, under mav. Get a LOC for the 5% and costs, and another ratesaver interest only for the purchase. Get them to change the PPOR to interest only while your there to increase free cashflow. In another 6 months purchase again and re assess options with diferent lenders.

I cant see the subdivision working, without a 20% deposit to start with, as you would need them as servicing guarantors to get the loan initially. You could then get plans and specs drawn up and subdivision registered and an as complete valuation for their FHOG purchase, but this would also require a fair bit of cash upfront, and then stamp duty would be payable again on the transfer of the individual blocks. To make a profit for yourself might not actually be helping your FHOG friends any, especially as the timeframes might push out to beyond the increased FHOG payments....

one point
with the 3 year dealo - you cant top it up - well, you can but then you lose the honeymoon timeframe. May be better to do a seperate loan as another 3 year economiser for as much as you can get.

going in partnership also has a few variables as tobe's mentioned.

Other side issue is if rates go up, or if they dont, can you handle this if your mates decide to go walkabouts - contingency plans?

Thanks Rolf, tobe and Spectre.

I guess your right about the subdivision deal as it would be too complicated to finance and manage.

The problem is there arent any more units anywhere near the price range i bought at ($132,000 in Minto).

I was more interested in Cash flow and thus was looking at suburbs like Auburn where units going for $260,000 rent rent around the $390 mark.

I think its possible to top up with the 3 year special economiser as stated in the link below.

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/home-loans/economiser/features/

I wasnt that keen on getting a loan with CBA because I plan keep my current mortgage variable but sometime in the future want my next property to have a fixed loan.

you can top it up but you cant reset the 3 year honeymoon period. So if you go to top it up and keep it as one loan you'll be going to the base economiser.

top it up and you lose the intro rate. you dont get another 3 years. why is why you do another loan.

where we've had these with clients we just end up switching them to a variable rate with CBA's propack as their holdings then make them more valuable.

Really, rate saver can be ok but its a pain with the honeymoon - its a cheap option but only for 3 years then its a question of what to do. As a comparision, INGs simplifier is cheaper to run with the redraws etc and doesnt have the honeymoon issues or the annual fee.

Can three first home buyers and one investor buy this property and demolish the house and build four duplexes.

Will the three first home buyers be eligible for the FHOG?

Will the purchase of this property incur any stamp duty?

one investor could buy the property, subdivide, and then sell to 3 first home buyers.
They will be eligible for whatever FHOG is applicable at that time, ie after subdivisiona and contracts signed.
Yes, once for the investor, and then for each of the 3 FHB's later.

NB The ratesaver/economiser doesnt have any ongoing fees, if you top up a loan for less that 50% of the orginal amount the whole loan reverts to the base variable rate.
If you take a new economiser secured against either the existing property or the new one, there is another application fee invoved, unless you sign up for the proffessional package of $395 pa.
You dont need to stay with CBA for the new purchase, but most likely you will not be able to leverage as far with another lender. You can do 95% refi on the existing, and 95% on the purchase with CBA, compared to 95% refi with CBA on the existing and most likely only 90% on the purchase of the next one.
Im not in the CBA fan club, its just the realities on the ground at the moment.

Tobe, I have sort of given up on the plan of subdividing to build four duplexes as it would be too complex and financially painful.

I was thinking of buying a 2 bedroom unit in the Auburn to Homebush area.

I had a look at some units in Auburn that go for around the mid 260 to 270K mark and rent for 380-410.

Getting one of those would help me out with cash flow, which for me is quite important.

Any recommendation of lenders who have 95% lends, low initial costs and in the future low switch fees if i fix (probably too late now). At the moment an offset account is not essential, but down the track it would probably be useful.

I dont want to contradict Richard, but you will need to speak with a broker or lender and give them your exact details.

For instance, if you live with mum and dad, and were getting $30ky and rental of$230pw and the likely rental on the new purchase is $400pw, you could lend 95% of the new purchase price of $270k and the valuation of your existing unit with CBA.
If you plan to continue living in the unit, your borrowing capacity is reduced.

Good luck!

As of last week, I am living with my parents again, which frees up the rental income and the current investment property is positively geared.

One main thing that could affect my servicability is a personal loan to which I pay $504 a month and took out to help parents fund their business.

indeed.

You will have to do something with that before building the empire further.

If you roll it into your existing homeloan, it eats into the equity you would like to use for the new purchase, but if you dont it acts to reduce your borrowing capacity dramatically, by about $100,000 in this case.....

Looks like I dont have much of an option then.

Just hoping one of my spec stocks becomes a 10 bagger and I would have more than enough to pay off the loan and a sizeable deposit.

By the way, how long do pre-approvals from St George last.

I have a pre-approval from 22 April 09 from St George at the 5 year fixed rate which was then 5.79%. Sadly I did not

This was for a X-collateralized loan with my current apartment and the future IP.

However since I have joined somersoft, apparently X-coll is not the way to go and I want to keep my current IP loan at CBA with the new one being somewhere else.

I had a pre-approval for $470,000 with the rental income from my curent income estimated at $180 (it is currently $230) and it was for a Display Home with rent being 8% being $28,000 (st george dont provide high LVR loans for display homes).

Do you guys think I will be able to use this pre-approval?

I would be interested to see what the forumites think of X collaterisation as well. I am in many ways in the same boat as you kaiseriqbal.

I currently own a property which I have approx 100,000 AUD as equity. I am looking to invest in an IP. However, I am not entirely sure which structure to use to finance the IP. Should I X collaterise ? Are there other options? What have some of the more experiences investors here done in a similiar sort of situation.

Thanks

Back