Logan: Getting a bit too hot?

A lot of positives

However people on here talk of spending 350k in Logan ?
I would spend low 2s in Logan's - probably not possible?

Logan region has many suburbs, amongst them -
Woodridge, Logan Central, Kingston, Slacks Creek
being lower priced from 220 - 300k plus (Houses).
Townhouses, cheaper, 2-3 bedroom from 150-230k

A nicely renovated solidly-built HOUSE for 220-230k in the cheaper parts of Logan getting harder to find in the Brisbane rising market. My advice is 'act quickly' if you can find them :) (do yr due diligence, of course)

Rochedale South, Springwood, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park, Cornubia are also suburbs in the Logan region, higher priced from late 300s to 400-500k plus. Sometimes you can get a nice cheapie 3/1/2 for 350-360k

I'll just give sample reviews of a cheaper suburb, Woodridge, from community members who are regarded as 'local experts'

The Editors Choice award is given to an outstanding review written by a member of the StreetAdvisor community. It represents the very highest award that can be given by the StreetAdvisor team.

selector1
5/5 rating details
Nov 04, 2012
Editors Choice
"A down to Earth, realistic and honest review of a suburb with a very good and strong reputation !"

Woodridge is one of the better suburbs you'll find in the South Brisbane area. I have purchased a house there 5 years ago at a very affordable price and to be honest i brought more for my dollar.
When i was first looking through Woodridge inspecting different homes to purchase i was amazed how well maintained and renovated the houses are in woodridge. Majority of the houses had new kitchens, bathrooms, large rooms timber or tiled floors.
Some of the older homes in woodridge are homes with character and solid built and you can easily find homes with verandas and patios, big garages and fully fenced.

The house i purchased for under $300 000 had a carport, lock up garage, fully fenced and private, in-ground s/water pool,spa, patio, very well maintained house inside, freshly painted, new bathroom, new hot plates and oven, three air-conditioners, nice hedging and gardens, large rooms all been re-wired through out.

My first night living in my house at woodridge i was thinking about some old tales about the suburb and while sitting outside i noticed it was more peaceful and quiet then in other suburbs i had lived in during my childhood. I often ride my bike through woodridge day or night for fitness and i haven't had a problem with any residence living there in fact they are more willing to say g'day and smile.
I have walked to the 24 hour shops in woodridge a few times and its always quiet and peaceful and while walking i have noticed the homes and majority are well maintained.

I have on many occasions used the very convenient public transport available as i am walking distance from not 1 but 2 railway stations with trains taking you to the Brisbane CBD or to the Gold Coast and many buses that can take you absolutely anywhere and bus-stops are everywhere in woodridge and there is now a new large bus bay just been built.

Woodridge has many convenient shops and every kind of shops and businesses you could think of and Hyperdome shopping mall is 15 min drive away.

There is a highly regarded school in Woodridge with a reputation of being one of the best in the state and a large library and art center, and a rego department just in the next street.
There is alot of new developments happening in and around woodridge the suburb has been very much cleaned up by council.

If you are looking to purchase a nice big home to raise a family in with a large yard, many mod-cons and very little work needed to the house at a very affordable price then woodridge is the place to live.

If you are an investor and you purchase homes to renovate and sell to make a good profit then woodridge is the place to invest. Homes at $250 000 in woodridge that get tidying up even more sell for $370 000.

take a look in real estate sites for homes in woodridge you will see for yourself they are large good homes, clean and tidy, and affordable and once done up they can sell for a lot more.

Woodridge is a safe and better suburb and tales of the past about woodridge being a bit rough is HISTORY ALREADY! :)

Pros

very clean and tidy
Great big homes with big yards at affordable prices
low crime
Close to the M1
Services & Shopping
Close to everything
Parks and nature walks

Recommended for

Professionals
Singles
Families with kids
Retirees
Students
Country Lovers
Trendy & Stylish
Beach Lovers

ShaunMartin
5/5 rating details
Oct 28, 2013
"Maybe a little biased due to nostalgia...."
Spent a lot of time in Woodridge growing up as my grandparents owned a town house there. Beautiful area, like most of Queensland. Very nice community, a lot of older people. Everyone seemed very friendly. Plenty of stuff to do as it is close to everything. House prices are very modest considering the area and what it offers. Some people complain of crime, or dodgy people. I have never experienced this, however I do not visit very often anymore as my grandparents have passed. I would definitely recommend Woodridge as a lovely place to retire, or for young families to live.

Pros

Traffic congestion isn't bad considering population
Good fresh food market
Very nice community
Close to the M1
Services & Shopping
Close to everything

Recommended for

Professionals
Singles
Families with kids
Retirees
Students

SparkySpark
5/5 rating details
Mar 16, 2012
"Vastly underrated"
We are a young family and love living in Woodridge, when we were looking to buy a house here some of our friends were telling us all sorts of stories about it. Well, a few of them have moved here too lol!!
We are close to work, transport, shops and everything else. There are some pretty nice parks nearby and kids are going to a private school down the road. We are happy.

Pros

Close to ikea cheap hotdogs!
Close to the M1
Services & Shopping
Close to everything
Parks and nature walks

Cons

Unjustified reputation

underated
couldnt agree more with the above , why people want to pay huge house prices for houses in other suburbs is beyond me, buy in logan, save a hundred grand, get a house that is built out of old australian, quality hardwoods, most of these homes were made to last, old style craftsmanship and solid, they just don't build like this anymore.
fantastic location central to everything , good roads , great people who work in all the stores , i have never had a bad service experience here and the store prices are cheaper than anywhere else in brisbane , one suburb across and you will pay vastly more for your groceries and for the most the service will not be a patch on what we get here.
genuine value and some of the best and nicest tradesman ,shop staff and service personnel i have encountered .
this is without doubt the best value suburb for young family's , dont throw your money away or make the banks richer , buy in logan and save bucketful's of your hard earned bucks
Apr 21, 2012

Flora
5/5 rating details
Mar 16, 2012
"Awesome suburb!"
Lived here for about 10 years. We have wonderful neighbours, lovely, quiet and tidy street. Very close to a number of large shopping centers, medical facilities, variety of private and public schools. Convenient and fast access to both M1 and Gateway Motorway - Brisbane CBD in 20-25mins (except during peak hours). A great choice of services you could possibly ever want/need - high speed cable broadband (18Mbps usually), gas, foxtel/optus cable tv and well organised public transport.
Brilliant place for young families, professionals and retirees alike. Also worth mentioning - this isn't a flood affected suburb, we sleep peacefully at night when is raining, unlike in some "posh" places.
We never had any of the issues a couple of other reviewers mentioned - we feel safe and comfortable living in Woodridge and as I've mentioned we have great neighbours. On the other hand when we lived in Rochedale and Sunnybank we did have break ins. So may be just those individual's experiences and I strongly believe they don't reflect the true image of Woodridge.

Pros

Close to ikea cheap hotdogs!
Close to the M1
Services & Shopping
Close to everything
Parks and nature walks

HarryJ
4/5 rating details
Apr 17, 2011
"Woodridge is changing for the better"
I can see where peope are coming from when they put Woodridge down because you do hear the odd news about an act of violence. But you can't put a label on the suburb as every suburb has its bad streets and bad people!!.

What I can say is I see alot of changes in the area, and the location is very convenient for a lot of different types of people. The catholic school in the area is awsome, its full of the nicest people and the church is also brilliant.

The suburb has had a bad label on it for a while but I can see changes happening and as Logan City starts to boom in the future it will only become better and a great place for investors is soon coming so keep your eyes peeled.

Harry Jones

Pros

Services & Shopping

Recommended for

Professionals
Singles
Retirees
Tourists
Gay & Lesbian
Students

bengun31
I moved here from the gold coast almost 8 years ago and have never had a problem or incident. The majority of people are down to earth battlers and it is very central. 20 minutes to the city, Gold Coast, or Ipswich. Everything you need is only five minutes drive away. If it wasn't safe at night you wouldn't see girls walking home on there own late.I like it here and the markets on Sunday morning are the best
Jan 28, 2012

Did you see the article in The Australian newspaper yesterday? See below .....

The article also showed a chart as to predictions for the Top Performers and the Worst Performers for 2014, but I couldn't cut and paste it, so here it is typed ........

Best in 2014
Dutton Park, Brisbane up10%
Redbank Plains, Ipswich up 10%
Inner West, Sydney up to 10%
Toowoomba, Qld up 8%
Penrith, Sydney up 8%
Cairns, Qld up 7%

Worst in 2014
Kilburn, Adelaide down 5%
Tuggeranong, ACT down 5%
Melb CBD and Docklands down 5%
Gladstone, Qld down 3%
New Farm (apartments Qld) down 3%
Pilbara, WA neutral at 0%

Make of it what you will .....

Mystery ... :D

Thanks for sharing Mystery

They certainly got Pilbara wrong by at least 12-18 months, its been a declining market with rents off by 25% and values similar.

Melb CBD Docklands, that's been a declining market for some time too.

Seems like perhaps this information is really out of date???

Thanks for sharing Mystery

They certainly got Pilbara wrong by at least 12-18 months, its been a declining market with rents off by 25% and values similar.

Melb CBD Docklands, that's been a declining market for some time too.

Seems like perhaps this information is really out of date???

Did you see the article in The Australian newspaper yesterday? See below .....

The article also showed a chart as to predictions for the Top Performers and the Worst Performers for 2014, but I couldn't cut and paste it, so here it is typed ........

Best in 2014
Dutton Park, Brisbane up10%
Redbank Plains, Ipswich up 10%
Inner West, Sydney up to 10%
Toowoomba, Qld up 8%
Penrith, Sydney up 8%
Cairns, Qld up 7%

Worst in 2014
Kilburn, Adelaide down 5%
Tuggeranong, ACT down 5%
Melb CBD and Docklands down 5%
Gladstone, Qld down 3%
New Farm (apartments Qld) down 3%
Pilbara, WA neutral at 0%

Make of it what you will .....

Mystery ... :D

While this is my first post, I have been a member since mid last year. This will be my first venture into investment property and I am looking at purchasing 2 investment properties within the first half of this year. One is to be purchased out of a self managed super I have set up and so is limited to $350. I looked into Logan but decided against it as I will be sitting on this first property for a while. Based on further research and as I have extended family living there I have decided on Toowoomba. I refer to the article that is referenced above and would appreciate your expert opinions on the potential ongoing growth in Toowoomba and where would be the best area in Toowoomba to purchase? After finding a number of threads within SS that point towards the south-east my budget is a little short for the prices. I would prefer a house and land and would prefer, if not positive geared, at least neutral (I will be borrowing 80%). I am also watching with great interest this thread for where the SS members that head up to Brisbane purchase as I have been looking at the second property being in Brisbane (probably Redlands or Redbank Plains) and have up to $400 for that one. Warm thanks in advance

While this is my first post, I have been a member since mid last year. This will be my first venture into investment property and I am looking at purchasing 2 investment properties within the first half of this year. One is to be purchased out of a self managed super I have set up and so is limited to $350. I looked into Logan but decided against it as I will be sitting on this first property for a while. Based on further research and as I have extended family living there I have decided on Toowoomba. I refer to the article that is referenced above and would appreciate your expert opinions on the potential ongoing growth in Toowoomba and where would be the best area in Toowoomba to purchase? After finding a number of threads within SS that point towards the south-east my budget is a little short for the prices. I would prefer a house and land and would prefer, if not positive geared, at least neutral (I will be borrowing 80%). I am also watching with great interest this thread for where the SS members that head up to Brisbane purchase as I have been looking at the second property being in Brisbane (probably Redlands or Redbank Plains) and have up to $400 for that one. Warm thanks in advance

I have one in toowomba and over the last 6 months it has shot up in price and the listings are getting thiner, I think this is just the start

I personally would be choosing toowomba (inner city and etablished) over Logan at this time, i reckon the market is hotter there by a long shot, i also live in Logan and everyone on here is saying how hot it is but I'm not seeing it, but that could just be me

Just wondering what everyones thoughts on this one? a bit too ambituous for me

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-marsden-116026327?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

17000sqm for $720k

Could you not divide it up into 16 x 1000sqm blocks with 1000m2 for a drive away?

subdiv costs might be $50k per lot including all extras,

so $720k +16x$50+$100k drive way=1620

sell each block for $150k conservative=2400

$780k profit, 48% return, excluding holding costs

what am I missing here?

I haven't researched myself but my Waterford PM told me a lot of farming land around that area was being rezoned from Rural to Residential so rates would increase heaps with the land values increasing forcing them to sell.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts on this one? a bit too ambituous for me

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-marsden-116026327?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

17000sqm for $720k

Could you not divide it up into 16 x 1000sqm blocks with 1000m2 for a drive away?

subdiv costs might be $50k per lot including all extras,

so $720k +16x$50+$100k drive way=1620

sell each block for $150k conservative=2400

$780k profit, 48% return, excluding holding costs

what am I missing here?

That would be a nice block to hold onto TMNT.

Rezoning imo would only be a matter of time.

Cheers Spades.

Hi TMNT, did some quick research on property in the link.
Under the draft Logan planning scheme, that block is supposed to be re-zoned from Non-Urban to Rural Residential
Zone Precinct: CR - Cottage Rural

This lot is 1.72 hectare, I think
My question to the planner would be, if the land is indeed re-zoned as above, must the minimum lot size still be 20 hectares?
After all, the Cottage Rural Precinct is also defined as
* primarily consists of dwelling houses and dual occupancies (dual key)
besides
* minimum lot sizes of 20 hectares in the urban footprint, or 100 hectares in the Regional Landscape and Rural Production area*

The overlays that pertain to this property are flood hazard, bushfire hazard
acid sulfate soils, biodiversity area and transport noise corridor.
An old overlay is also OL9 - Powerline Infrastructure Area

Logan Planning Hotline (07) 3412 4247

Rural residential zone
The Rural residential zone is intended for very low density residential uses on large lots and for rural activities in some locations. The zone occupies large areas of Logan City and is generally located outside of existing urban areas in a semi-rural, landscaped, or bushland settings.

The zone has provisions about building heights,distances between buildings, and noise, air and light emissions. These provisions help to reduce possible impacts on neighbouring properties

Cottage rural precinct
* primarily consists of dwelling houses and dual occupancies (dual key), but may also allow rural activities such as cropping, horticulture, and plantations
* minimum lot sizes of 20 hectares in the urban footprint, or 100 hectares in the Regional Landscape and Rural Production area*

thanks beaniegirl

where do you find all that info from?

just spoke to council, land is completely flooded! :( so a no goer

oh well, next

thanks beaniegirl
where do you find all that info from?
oh well, next

This might be the gateway to undiscovered opportunities ;)

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/planning-and-building/planning/draft-planning-scheme

Above is the Logan draft Planning Scheme a-la INTERACTIVE Mapping - Whoo-hoo!
It allows you to search any property via interactive mapping.
It will tell you the old zone and draft new zone and what is allowed to be built in the new zone, e.g. dwellings, townhouses, dual occupancies and how many
Townhouse zone is 40 dwellings per hectare in Low Medium Density Residential
Suburban precinct zone is 20 dwellings per hectare in Low Density Residential. Minimum lot size 350 sqm

With the Map above, you can look at properties new proposed zoning and what it allows you to build.

ahh yes, thansk beanie

great link

so for that example above it says rural residential as the the area as proposed

so its safe to assume that if 1000sqm blocks was not part of rural resi which its not, then obviously development is a definite no go

and it would be wise to simply stop at this point?

ahh yes, thansk beanie

great link

so for that example above it says rural residential as the the area as proposed

so its safe to assume that if 1000sqm blocks was not part of rural resi which its not, then obviously development is a definite no go

and it would be wise to simply stop at this point?

Well. In my opinion, the way Logan defines 'Cottage rural' Under 'Rural Residential' leaves it vague and open to interpretation. Must the property satisfy both criteria or only one criteria?

Example: If a land of 1.7 ha does not meet the minimum lot size of 20 hectares in the urban footprint, then can it be built to primarily consist of dwelling houses and dual occupanies (dual key)?

Cottage rural precinct
* primarily consists of dwelling houses and dual occupancies (dual key), but may also allow rural activities such as cropping, horticulture, and plantations

all under offer if its on for $230K or even $240K Brick house around Logan Kingston or Woodridge

From the agent, people offering on or above asking

Back