Looking for a mentor

Hey guys - me again! :D

As the title states, Im looking to meet with someone to discuss investing in depth. I guess Im looking for someone who would be willing to meet with myself and my friend Lyn in an informal gathering to simply answer stupid questions, talk in lamens terms and be pampered with a free lunch! Hows that offer sound! - Too good to be true!

No seriously, Im really wanting to speak to anyone, anywhere in Australia. I would be willing to travel to meet with this person and discuss everything from..

1. Investing in property
2. Tax considerations
3. Long term planning and investing (this is the big one)
4. Diversifying my investments, in particular investing in cashbonds, CPT's and shares to assist in terms of loan serviceability
5. General information and well, a bit of a giggle and perhaps even a beer.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak with anyone who does this in for a living - someone who is not working, just invests and lives off passive income.

I know this may be a long shot, but hey, Im not too proud to admit that I would like help. If theres someone willing to offer - then Im all for it.

Thanks guys,

RJ

Just wanted to thank those of you who replied to this message via PM.

You know who you are - thank you! :D

RJ

I asked Peter Spann but he declined for personal reasons which is fair enough :(

Does this mean I now have to change my signature?

Peter Peter, hes our man, if he can't do it - No one Spann! :D

RJ

ramone_johnny said:
I asked Peter Spann but he declined for personal reasons which is fair enough :(
There are people who do get mentored by Peter personally. But that requires a fair investment, and a fair net worth. (He was talking of closing the books on those clients anyway). I'd be suggesting that you're probably not up to that stage yet ;)

redwing said:
money begets money type of thing ?

Redwing
Barracuda,

Nah, I reckon its closer to:

"When the student is ready the master will appear".

Once you've proven yourself by mastering the basics made available to everybody en masse via forums like this and Peter's own books, then he'll help take you to the next level. He won't waste his time re-iterating what's in his books and on half a dozen different internet boards. Steve Navra does much the same thing.

RJ, good initiative nonetheless. I hope some of those PMs you got will serve you well when you take them up on their offers. I'd offer to help out but am still a novice myself and still work full time in salaried employment so miss out on that criteria. Give me a couple of years and I might be able to graduate to the next level though...

Cheers,
Michael.

MichaelWhyte said:
"When the student is ready the master will appear".

Gday Mike,
Thats an awesome quote! Because its so true!

Perhaps we could still get together for a workout and protein shake :D

Cheers buddy.

RJ

ah grasshopper were are you.
the student must be more then ready.
they must also want to follow the persons directions and to do that the directions must be in the direction that that person wants to go,
and that may well be in a direction that is not the same as the master,

hi ramone_johnny
just a short note I will be putting up a post very shortly on what I call a soup and the way that you solve a problem site this is very interesting reading and gives you an insight into how deals are done this is for reference but you may learn something from it.

Hey, why not approach geoffk to be your mentor. I hear he owns a few investment properties and now works full time for a certain "investment" company with interests in QLD. :p

mdk92 said:
Hey, why not approach geoffk to be your mentor. I hear he owns a few investment properties and now works full time for a certain "investment" company with interests in QLD. :p

I did think about Geoff to be honest - not sure why I didnt ask. Perhaps I could ask him a few questions and shout him a subway for lunch :D

RJ

ramone_johnny said:
I did think about Geoff to be honest - not sure why I didnt ask. Perhaps I could ask him a few questions and shout him a subway for lunch :D

RJ
I think you have the two Geoff's confused. You are talking about Geoffw who owns a Subway & mdk92 is talking about Geoffk who has been asking about a certain (by the looks of it) two-tier marketing company in QLD.

ramone_johnny said:
I did think about Geoff to be honest - not sure why I didnt ask. Perhaps I could ask him a few questions and shout him a subway for lunch
As long as you come to Canberra to shout me the sub.

"K" and "W" are quite different. I don't know why you got me confused with GeoffK :)

And I'm not sure why you would want any advice from somebody who hasn't even bought a property for over 3 years :(

geoffw said:
As long as you come to Canberra to shout me the sub.

"K" and "W" are quite different. I don't know why you got me confused with GeoffK :)

And I'm not sure why you would want any advice from somebody who hasn't even bought a property for over 3 years :(

No I was just after a free lunch :D

Again thanks for all the replies to those who PM'd me, Im overwhelmed and very thankful.

Looks like ive got some plane trips coming up! :D

RJ

RJ..
The interesting part about investing for me in my life is the people
that i have learnt from have always found me.
Some of the most intellectual conversation i have with other
investors have only lasted less than 5 minutes, and i always
let them do the talking, you will know the minute she or he
opens their mouth that this person in front you knows the
game backwards, they just play by a different set of rules.
And that was the reason i came to this Forum to listen
to the way the very smart operate and what areas they
invest in and sometimes give my opinions.......
good luck
willair.....

Last edited:
willair said:
And that was the reason i came to this Forum to listen
to the way the very smart operate and what areas they
invest in and somtimes give my opinions.......
Ditto.

Well said willair

I would learn, read and educate yourself on any information you can find about your mentors and mimic their strategies. Whilst the personal touch would be nice, you can certainly learn the core strategies of mentors from information written in books, forums, etc. Unfortunately if people like Peter Spann were to offer their services to everyone, he'd have no time to enjoy his lifestyle.

Warren Buffett is my share value investing mentor, who whilst I have not personally met I feel like I know a lot about his core principles and strategies given I have read about 20 books on him, all his annual shareholder reports, meetings, misc info around discussion forums and web sites, met some of his close colleagues from the US, spoken with people who adopt his principles very successfully etc.

Whether it is positive gearing, negative gearing, land banking, taxation, cash bonds, etc find a top expert in every single field and mimic their strategies by either learning and developing yourself, discussing the techniques with others who follow similar strategies and/or hiring professionals to provide advice and assistance where required. ie. If your strength is share investing but you are useless at taxation, hire an expert to take care of this part of your investing framework.

Life is too short to reinvent the wheel or learn from your own mistakes. Learn from others who have already made the mistakes you would make without following their proven methods.

Back