Looking for a reccomended quantity surveyor...

Hi everyone, could a few of you please point me in the direction of a few good but reasonably priced quantity surveyors? I've previously used the same one a few times but found them to be quite expensive ($600 a pop) and am hoping to find a similar service at a lower price.

Thanks in advance for any help rendered !

Thanks for the feedback, one of the ones listed is indeed the one that I have already used a few times.
I asked the Question after googling QS's and found reports for as little as $250ea and wondered if they lacked in any way as compared to the $600 one I have previously purchased.
Anyone with further feedback, please give us your experience/pricing as I'm keen to learn if indeed the lower priced service is on a par with the more expensive service.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks all.

We're never going to be an option for people looking for the cheapest price possible, but we do the job properly - that's why so many accountants send their clients to us. I know the shortcuts some providers take, and some accountants do, too.

We have a few price points depending on the age of the property and the amount of information people have. Somersoft people get a discount, too.

Scott

hi scott,

i see you say australia wide, how do you organise perth depreciation schedules? do you farm them out or use in house staff? i need a couple done, including one that is potentially a little more complicated than usual

We have a couple of in-house QSs, and a network of contract QSs. The guys in the field do the inspections and submit their cost estimates. An in-house QS signs off on the job.

If it's a complicated enquiry, you'll end being put through to me so I can work out how best to tackle it.

Having a fairly new unit (built in 2009) of reasonable size and construction I knew i could get some $$$ back on deprecitiable items.

I organised Depreciator to come out (who did give a discount for mentioning somersoft) and survey the place.

From the first phone call to the report that came though, the whole process was fantastic. They were not only professional but quick as well. Very highly recommended. You will not be dissapointed!

Im not in any was affiliated with any QS, just a happy customer who will use them again in the future.

In my case i got just under $7000 to claim in the first few years, which will mean some $$$ back at tax time.

We have a couple of in-house QSs, and a network of contract QSs. The guys in the field do the inspections and submit their cost estimates. An in-house QS signs off on the job.

If it's a complicated enquiry, you'll end being put through to me so I can work out how best to tackle it.

thanks for this, will call you to discuss.

Just adding to what everyone else has said. I had real trouble getting anyone to even call me back in Darwin and the ones that did told me a renovation could not be Depreciated!

Talking to the guys at Depreciator was like a breath of fresh air. I have sent my family and friends there and recommend them to my clients.

Kind regards,
Jody

Another happy customer of Depreciator.

One of our older 60s unit had a cosmetic reno. Depreciator offers a service for older units without having to send a QS out. We sent them a detailed asset report and photos, which was enough for a full depreciation schedule. This service was extremely well priced ($220) and has already paid itself back in the 1st year's deductions :)

Recommend Depreciator

We paid $220 (incl gst), Self assist and got a detailed report. Our house was built in 1960 and we bought it in 2008. Total depreciation over $11,000 for 5 yrs. Highly recommended. Thanks Scott.

I'd used another depreciation company in the past, but changed to Scott and the team at Depreciator based on word of mouth (the best form of advertisement) and feedback on the forums and we haven't looked back since.

Scott's continual and ongoing responses and assistance to myself and others on the forum has kept me loyal to the group and I'm happy to recommend them to workmates (and have just done so recently) looking for a Quantity Surveyor or Depreciation Schedule.

Thanks all.

Just a word on the service we offer for older properties in case people think we're heading into the dodgy territory some of our competitors inhabit.

With pre 85 built properties, you would know that the building itself can't be depreciated, just the Assets (fixtures and fittings). There will usually be between $1,000 and $2,000 of depreciation in the first full year for the Assets.

The ATO are happy with tax payers putting their own values on carpet, stove, hot water unit etc. They believe, quite rightly, that it takes no particular expertise to estimate the written-down value of a stove.

Understandably, some people aren't keen on doing this themselves. So they (or their PM) get us the information - photos and measurements - we need. A QS still costs everything up. The fee is low because the QS is not having to visit the property.

Question guys...

I'm about to lease out my PPOR, it's about 1 year old.

Do I need quantity surveyor just before the lease start?

What do they do actually? Is it true that with their report we can maximise our tax return?

Do I need them to survey my IP every year?

Thanks

I got mine done just on transfer of a new tenant. Made it easier there was no tenants when they came out and had a look. In fact I met them out at the property and followed them around while they did it. Interesting to see how much detail they go through and items they pick up on. The final report I got gives me totals for like 40 years or something. I was told I only need to get it updated if I change anything or do a renovation. Which makes sense. I'm not sure if they all do that but that was my experience.

Back