Looking for a rental in Sydney

I know this is generally about managing tenants but I found my first place in Sydney via this forum 12 years ago so I figure it's worth trying again. :)

The lovely unit I've lived in since arriving in Sydney has been sold and sadly I have to leave.

So I am seeking a 2br unit/townhouse (house if I'm dreaming) in good condition, preferably in a quiet area. My preferred locations are on the North Shore, Northern Beaches, Gordon/Pymble or Lane Cove. I believe I am an excellent tenant and even my last Property Manager stopped doing inspections because I try to look after a place well.

I do have a cat but I try to be a responsible owner, keeping things clean and aired and ensuring there's no damage.

My budget is in the $500-550 range but might consider more for something really special. (Who needs to go out if you have a great place to stay in ;)

If you know of anyone looking for a good tenant, please message me.

Thanks

You have great taste, I'm in Roseville but my strata is anti pets even though I have 2 cats and they keep threatening to take me to tribunal. Thats what happens when you vote old farts onto the committee with nothing better to do but make up silly rules.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks everyone. It's hard with a pet. I'd prefer to be upfront but it puts you at such a disadvantage and diminishes your choices to so few.

A friend of mine has just gone back to the US and there pets are accepted as long as they are small (under a certain weight) - she even has her cat staying with her in her hotel at the moment. We really are behind the times here.

Great news is that the law has changed in favour of pets living in stratas. This applies to all new stratas, but unfortunately existing stratas that are not currently pet friendly will still need a by-law voted in.
https://www.facebook.com/rentwithpetsaustralia/posts/468419143250451

I can understand your difficulty with finding pet friendly accommodation in Australia. One of the reasons for lack of pet friendly accommodation in Sydney is that many properties cost a bit more wear and tear eg changing carpets, flea treatment. Many landlords love pets and have pets themselves, yet will pick applications with fewer tenants (pets are like extra tenants with different maintenance needs). However, if you can offer a higher rent to take into the account wear and tear (a healthy cat doesn't cause very much wear and tear) that could increase your chances over other tenants.

I am currently working on a website that will give property owners more choice with property advertising. Mainly an option for advertising price differentials to put pet owners at a more level playing field when searching for properties, exposing a vacant property to a larger pool of potential tenants (that would otherwise not be interested in non-pet friendly), and landlords can post guidelines on what types of pets would be suitable for a property.

Wish you best of luck for you and your cat looking for a new home. I live with two cats myself and they are my best friends :)

Great news is that the law has changed in favour of pets living in stratas. This applies to all new stratas, but unfortunately existing stratas that are not currently pet friendly will still need a by-law voted in.
https://www.facebook.com/rentwithpetsaustralia/posts/468419143250451

Hi, I wanted to reply to your FB page but I dont have an account. I'm really sorry for going off topic but I am genuinely confused.

I don't see what the great news is.

Current by law: You must obtain the written approval of the
Owners Corporation. The approval of the Owners Corporation cannot be
unreasonably withheld.

Proposed change: Pets are allowed subject to approval, which must not be unreasonably withheld.

It is the same law just the words have changed. The OC can still block approval and force you to pay for mediation and then go to tribunal for them to decide if approval was unreasonably withheld.

What you should be fighting for is removing the option for stratas to enforce the "no pets" rule because with only needing 75% vote its a pretty easy way out if an owner starts going down the mediation/tribunal path and the OC can't be bothered dealing with it so they enforce no pets.

That's a very good question, Robbie! You're right that with the new by-laws pets in the strata still need to be approved. By default pets are allowed unless there is good reason to reject a particular animal. This encourages people in stratas to come up with some guidelines on suitable pets, and suitable pet behaviour for their strata. This also encourages responsible pet ownership, people to take responsiblilty for their pets behaviour, and pets to become good neighbours (like mine):)

Due to the high density living conditions of stratas and close proximity to neighbours, it is important for stratas to reserve the right to reject or evict pets that are a nuisance to the neighbours (excessive barking or mating calls at night, aggressive to children, damaging common property, etc).

From what myself and my solicitor understand, the main difference between this new by-law and the old "no pets by default", is that it encourages owners corporations to approve all suitable pets, and the onus is on the OC to prove that a particular pet will be unsuitable if they want to reject. Under the old rules, the OC can reject all pet applications without giving a reason.
I see this as good news for pets living in stratas. Hope this helps clarify.

Thanks for your prompt reply much appreciated.

I suppose it's the kind of stuff that lawyers love because it means billable hours arguing over semantics especially when we consider "unreasonably withheld" is very subjective.

But the "no pet" by law has to go especially in this day and age with many more people living by themselves.

You're very welcome! It is a good time for Australia to catch up with other countries like Europe and Canada where pets are generally accepted in high density living (with a few guidelines). For me, "family" includes 4 legged children and I make a lot of effort to help the 4 legged children be good neighbours.
Older stratas will still need to vote in the new "pet-friendly" by-laws if they were previously "no-pets" by default. I can imagine it will be easier to vote once more stratas are pet friendly.

I can see where interpreting the new by-law can help a few lawyers make money.

Back