Loosing vs. Losing

I always write Mum and Dad.

I also know that 'and' and 'but' are gramatically correct to use at the start of a sentence, in fact i remember in year four quite clearly getting marked down because i used a comma instead of a full stop.

I've also never heard the term 'aks', how do people manage to have such a poor understanding of the English language, especially in spoken terms!

I have a pet hate for 'yous', you guys damnit!! So lazy! Or 'eshyays' no idea how many of you have seen the trashy little kids walking around in Canterbury pants or 'CCC' pants, saying 'eshyays bro' it sends me up the wall!!!!!!!!! It stands for yes for the record.

Also my friends do this to me quite regularly, send me a text message full of words that have been cut down to the point they have no vowels left!
Eg.
hey sam wt u dng tnght wna hng out?
Sometime's i don't even get that much! Or they type it wrong so i get random letters in there as well!!

Has anyone else noticed that in the media now, when they are reading out from a paper, if it says "i.e.' they actually say "i" "e" instead of "that is"? The same applies with "e.g." they never seem to say "for example". I always go beserk and start screaming at the tv. My kids think I have lost it!

I often wonder if whoever wrote their text used the abbreviation for "therefore" would the reader say "dot dot dot" or maybe "group of dots" or even "dot triangle".:eek:

What about AM, PM, AD, CV, QED, RIP, and SOS? They're also common Latin abbreviations (acronyms) that are typically spoken as letters rather than either the full Latin expression or the English translation (except perhaps RIP, where most assume it's from the English "Rest In Peace" when in fact it's from the Latin "Requiescat In Pace").

As for "therefore", that's a mathematical symbol, not a Latin abbreviation. It's like asking, if you were reading out "a = b", would you say "a equals b" or would you say "a two horizontal dashes one on top of the other b"?

GP

Last edited:
I'm officially confused!

But yes AM and PM, fair enough, but who would say Ante Meridien and Post
Meridien..?

Something just popped up from one of my friends on facebook.

"waiting to go to Alex place" Alex's place damnit!! Problem is he speaks like that too!

Could of, should of, would of............ Grr!
Once again it comes down to writing it how we speak it which is why it's important to correct pronunciation in kids as they grow up and are learning spelling/grammar. They can talk how they want to when they're older but get the basics down first. It's could have, would have, should have.......

Alright, here's another one.

"for free" - I hate it! "Buy one, get one for free" scream the banners. No, I buy one and I get one for nothing, or I get one free. Not "for free."

Slightly off topic, but free should mean receiving something without having to do anything in return for it - a gift in other words.

It's not free if you have to buy 1 first. Maybe they should say, "Buy one and get the second at no cost or charge to you"

Or "you can use this free application if you allow us access to your profile" (Facebook). It's not free if you have to do something first to receive it.

Another one - sign up to receive our newsletter and receive a free gift. A gift is already free!! And it's not free if I have to agree to receive a newsletter first! Double whammy!

And so on..........

But yes AM and PM, fair enough, but who would say Ante Meridien and Post Meridien..?
Well the English equivalent is "in the morning" and "in the afternoon", which of course people do say, but simply saying AM and PM (spelling out the letters) is very common as well.

The suggestion wasn't that people should say "id est" or "exempli gratia", but rather their English equivalents.

GP

Ah okay, yep.

My theory is there are certain abbreviations that are fine, AM and PM included, but EG and IE shouldn't be spoken in my opinion.

It's not free if you have to buy 1 first.
The thing I hate now, which is not a language issue but a sneaky marketing ploy, is the way people selling their software online will have it advertised as:

FREE download

meaning it's free to download a trial version which you have to pay for if you want to either keep using it or have it work properly.

What that means is when you Google for free applications, everything comes up in the search, 99% of which is not free software at all.

A similar thing happened years ago when I bought some computer-type thing and it came with a disc containing over 100 "free" software applications. On closer inspection, the disc just contained trial versions of a pile of stuff downloaded from the Internet, practically all of which were shareware apps requiring payment to use the software fully.

Such a loose term, free.

GP

Not yet, but, it's certainly starting to annoy me how a few teenagers actually say 'lol' in response to something mildly amusing.

Haha, i have a tendancy to do this at times..But i find it's only around certain people.

Actually something that annoys me about my own text messages, after every line, religiously i will type what ever i'm saying and then follow it with '..' and leave a new line for everything.

Back