Losing 10% deposit

Have to agree with Tim. Someone losing 80k because finance fell through is a bit harsh of a penalty. That could easily be someones 5 years saving and people would take it because they lost time with the sale. Do you think 80k penalty is a fair amount to take off someones hand.

Contracts are a piece of paper that can be thrown out and terms discussed about with some common sense.

As Tim mentioned this could potentionally destroy someone financialy and emotionally.

I certainly would feel like an absolute tool taking someones money like this especially 80k.

Are you people serious?????

You sound like our tenants, who really do think contracts are "Contracts are a piece of paper that can be thrown out "

OMG

And the other end

25 customers are defaulting on the contracts for $80k each
$2 million
the constructor is still obligated to the contractors suppliers employees

You can tell those who are only debtors, not creditors

Are you people serious?????

You sound like our tenants, who really do think contracts are "Contracts are a piece of paper that can be thrown out "

OMG

No you are right perfectly acceptable to keep 100k because someone else possibly had bad luck.

I wish drink drivers would lose their house if caught driving while over. I also think if you are caught speeding it should be at least a 100k fine. Because here you are putting someone else's life at risk which is much more serious than a property sale falling through nobodys life in danger there. I hope they make it the rules and print it in black and white.

I am currently renting and have had a couple issues not fixed after various complaints a good 4-5 months now . Pretty sure in the contract it states repairs will be carried out within a certain time frame. Landlord not caring, am I entitled to free rent now till my contract finishes?

Just a piece of paper with no emotion or compassion in it.

Family of 4, husband gets killed, wife a kids left behind. Sole income is lost, can't continue with house purchae. Vendor gets to keep 100k and devistated family lose a loved one and a 100k along with it.

I can certainly see people keeping the money in this thread without a blink of an eye. It is in the contract.

Truly incredible how money has ruined people.

I am currently renting and have had a couple issues not fixed after various complaints a good 4-5 months now . Pretty sure in the contract it states repairs will be carried out within a certain time frame. Landlord not caring, am I entitled to free rent now till my contract finishes?

If you followed the rules in reporting issues to your landlord, and still haven't received a satisfactory outcome, you do have options.

You make a hearing and request the landlord fix your issues.
Simple...except tenants don't want to follow the rules...just complain.

Just a piece of paper with no emotion or compassion in it.

Family of 4, husband gets killed, wife a kids left behind. Sole income is lost, can't continue with house purchase. Vendor gets to keep 100k and devestated family lose a loved one and a 100k along with it.

I can certainly see people keeping the money in this thread without a blink of an eye. It is in the contract.

Obviously in this case the vendor killed the purchaser, its his fault . ...
or is it expected the vendor provide life insurance for the purchaser?
sole breadwinner: get life insurance.
can't afford life insurance: can't afford a house

No you are right perfectly acceptable to keep 100k because someone else possibly had bad luck.
and possibly, DIDN'T.
very poor judgement we all know nothing about the circumstance of the real, or any hypothetical defaulter.

was going to write about ignorance: bliss: and how happy some people must be: but I won't

Out of interest lets flip the coin. It has been said if a buyer defaults there could be a clause for the vendor to sue if the property sells for less to recover the difference.

What if the property sells for more the 2nd time around can the previous buyer claim a percentage of the extra sale price over the previous sale? Say it sells for 200k more can the previous buyer claim say 100k because after all it is only due to him the sellers are getting extra money?

So not only did he lose his deposit he also made the vendors an extra couple 100k.

Obviously in this case the vendor killed the purchaser, its his fault . ...
or is it expected the vendor provide life insurance for the purchaser?
sole breadwinner: get life insurance.
can't afford life insurance: can't afford a house

and possibly, DIDN'T.
very poor judgement we all know nothing about the circumstance of the real, or any hypothetical defaulter.

was going to write about ignorance: bliss: and how happy some people must be: but I won't

Things happen and why I believe you need to look at the situation. Not just waive your contract and cheer with delight.

If you followed the rules in reporting issues to your landlord, and still haven't received a satisfactory outcome, you do have options.

You make a hearing and request the landlord fix your issues.
Simple...except tenants don't want to follow the rules...just complain.

All my reports have been written and even acknowledged that it will be fixed.

Not all tenants are complainers. I think they have had plenty of time to fix issue.

And the other end

25 customers are defaulting on the contracts for $80k each
$2 million
the constructor is still obligated to the contractors suppliers employees

In OTP residential contracts, the deposit is held in trust and cannot be used to pay creditors until settlement. It is the developer's issue to work out project finance.

What if the property sells for more the 2nd time around can the previous buyer claim a percentage of the extra sale price over the previous sale? Say it sells for 200k more can the previous buyer claim say .........

If the contract says so then yes

Ta
Rolf

Family of 4, husband gets killed, wife a kids left behind. Sole income is lost, can't continue with house purchae. Vendor gets to keep 100k and devistated family lose a loved one and a 100k along with it.

Maybe contracts should be changed to allow vendors to only keep enough to cover expenses and not profit from a failed sale.

Contracts could also be adjusted to take into account accidents, death, loss of incomes, etc situations like the above to allow buyers to recover the deposit or part of it.

I guess this might keep both the contract fanatics and reasonable people happy.

Laws/Contracts can always be improved.

Cheers

Andrew

Why hold a deposit? Investment is INVESTMENT kids not a dang charity.

You will need to question your motives if you are prepared to waive your rights to enforcement of the agreement.

Each party enters into the contract as an informed adult. Where necessary they should seek legal and financial advice.

Having a buyer pull out of the deal in a tight or falling market or when government has a restrictive monetary policy is not fun. Live a few cycles and you might change your mind about your right to retain the deposit.

What I'm feeling here is the difference between commercial and corporate reality vs personal moral or ethical conflict.

It's unreasonable to expect a corporate entity to navigate moral hazards in the same way as a single human or a small group of aligned humans would, there are way to many competing commitments for a largish commercial organisation

Contracts are constructed and all parties usually have a say says to whether to accept same or not.

I have had circumstances where ....

the sellers have resold and pocketed the deposit and an increased sale price during a hot market where the buyer could not complete a TIOTE contract

On an otp the vendors strung out the start way behind the sunset clause, the market ran away and the vendor exercised the sunset clause

Equally I have had many private sellers and the occasional corporate waive significant costs fees charges and opportunities to grab largish deposits and run

Ta
Rolf

There are cooling off periods in property sale not sure if it applies in this case but they are there for a reason.

Maybe contracts should be changed to allow vendors to only keep enough to cover expenses and not profit from a failed sale.

Contracts could also be adjusted to take into account accidents, death, loss of incomes, etc situations like the above to allow buyers to recover the deposit or part of it.

I guess this might keep both the contract fanatics and reasonable people happy.

Laws/Contracts can always be improved.

Cheers

Andrew

Absolutely!

Though i agree it's morally wrong i don't agree with this
I wish drink drivers would lose their house if caught driving while over. I also think if you are caught speeding it should be at least a 100k fine.
Appropriate penalties are in place and awesome revenue raising.

Kind regards Shovelhead.

Though i agree it's morally wrong i don't agree with this

Appropriate penalties are in place and awesome revenue raising.

Kind regards Shovelhead.

I think you can read between the lines.

80K windfall at the expense of someone else, money for nothing really. A purchase falling through compared to working 10hr shifts for 5 years and saving up the deposit as an example.

Back