Lost Council Records - Logan & Albert Shire

I'm looking at buying a house in Logan City (suburb: Rochedale South) that has old and dodgey extensions to the front and rear (they might be old enclosed veranda's). The rear one in particular has low roof height and has some rot etc in it. They could simply remain as enclosed veranda's, except some of the walls have been knocked out to open it up etc.

Now apparently when Logan and Albert Shires were merged into one council they lost a heap of housing approval records, including for this place. I understand this includes house plans etc - they know nothing. Council tell me they determine whether the place is approved or not (including extensions) according to a satellite photo taken at around that time (they have no other means to check) and see how it compares to current. Hence, my understanding is that the extensions are approved (thanks to the satelite photo and lost records), but what about the roof height, build quality etc?

Does anyone have any practical experience in this? If the house were to be checked out, could they advise that the extensions must be pulled down, based on there dodgey construction etc? Is this likely to cause me issues/grief with council down the track?

I'm looking at buying a house in Logan City (suburb: Rochedale South) that has old and dodgey extensions to the front and rear (they might be old enclosed veranda's). The rear one in particular has low roof height and has some rot etc in it. They could simply remain as enclosed veranda's, except some of the walls have been knocked out to open it up etc.

Now apparently when Logan and Albert Shires were merged into one council they lost a heap of housing approval records, including for this place. I understand this includes house plans etc - they know nothing. Council tell me they determine whether the place is approved or not (including extensions) according to a satellite photo taken at around that time (they have no other means to check) and see how it compares to current. Hence, my understanding is that the extensions are approved (thanks to the satelite photo and lost records), but what about the roof height, build quality etc?

Does anyone have any practical experience in this? If the house were to be checked out, could they advise that the extensions must be pulled down, based on there dodgey construction etc? Is this likely to cause me issues/grief with council down the track?

I would think that the council have the right to order it be as per existing building standards at the time of the extension.

It is a toughie.

I thought you can get a council rep over to check it out if there are no records.

Another port of call may be the current owner. The owner may have plans and certificates of the house and any extension. If he was a motivated seller, you think it would be in his best interests to help..............maybe not if they aren't council approved.

Good luck.

Cheers,

F

Back