Lot entitlements/liabilities - what to do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like some advice on what I should do about the proposed changes to my lot entitlements and liabilities.

Mine is Lot 1 (old freestanding house, separated by a wooden fence to newly built townhouses, no shared land/driveway) - entitlement 1, liability 1.
Lots 2-6 are townhouses that share a driveway - entitlement 100, liability 100 each.
The OC has building insurance for all the units including mine. My current fee is a mere $15 pa.

An agenda at the upcoming first OC meeting (which I cannot attend!) is to get unanimous resolution to make all units have equal entitlement and liability. I would then be paying for maintenance of their driveway, garden, lighting, cabling etc, correct? This would not be in my interest.

Should I inform the OC in advance of my disagreement with this proposal? Or are there any benefits of increased entitlements and liabilities?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like some advice on what I should do about the proposed changes to my lot entitlements and liabilities.

Mine is Lot 1 (old freestanding house, separated by a wooden fence to newly built townhouses, no shared land/driveway) - entitlement 1, liability 1.
Lots 2-6 are townhouses that share a driveway - entitlement 100, liability 100 each.
The OC has building insurance for all the units including mine. My current fee is a mere $15 pa.

An agenda at the upcoming first OC meeting (which I cannot attend!) is to get unanimous resolution to make all units have equal entitlement and liability. I would then be paying for maintenance of their driveway, garden, lighting, cabling etc, correct? This would not be in my interest.

Should I inform the OC in advance of my disagreement with this proposal? Or are there any benefits of increased entitlements and liabilities?

You should seek legal advice asap and attend that meeting.

Obviously the others in the BC are suffering an inequity at present and would wish to rectify this (probably set up by the developer with themselves benefitting from having only a small entitlement and liability). Obviously, from your side you don't want to pay any more than you need to but there are many shared costs which need to be covered.

As Terry said, I would seek legal advise asap!!! and definitely make every effort to go to the meeting.
If I understand your set up properly, you sound like in all honestly, you shouldn't even 'belong' to this. ...I wonder if somehow, you can legally separate yourself, get your own title and become a regular neighbour ? You would definitely need good legal advice on this one to see if you can be subdivided off...hat's what I would be looking at. Might involve some big expenses to do this however. Subdivide your self out some how if possible. Terry, any thoughts?
Tgan

You can choose to go to the meeting or not..if you object it or didn't vote for it, they couldn't get it passed through anyway as it requires a "unanimous" resolution. Either way, they can't change it without your vote!

They could go to VCAT and try to get it through, then you can seek legal advise on how to defend your position.

Back