Machans Beach

Is anyone familiar with Machan's Beach? I have only visited briefly on holidays a few years ago. Would it be easy to get stable tenants, or do people tend to leave the area over the wet season?

Realistically, how great is the danger from cyclones & flooding here & in the general Cairns area?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Toon

Hi Toon,

As you would know Machans is the first beachside suburb north of Cairns CBD, it is quite small, and to me has quite a beachside holiday home feel (a little alternative) about it..lots of little old cottages in desperate need of reno, and some newly reno'd/constructed homes on the foreshore. A once prolific poster, Sailor, bought a beach-front Queenslander on the Esplanade a couple years ago and reno'd it, including raising the whole home..it is literally less than 10m from the water,(http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29559) and I actually just messaged her to ask how she fared in the recent big rains..

Unless they have done something about it in the last 12 months the access road from the highway into Machans is quite flood prone, and when I lived in Cairns would become impassable a couple days a year, if a big monsoon/cyclone came nearby. I think Machans itself would be quite flood prone as well, but didnt live there long-enough to see it happen..The Cairns Council has quite a good website with all the overlays and zonings (Cairns Plan - http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/include/IA/index_pages/planningInfraBldg/planningSchemes.html.)

As far as tenantability, I dont think you would have too much problem, especially if your property was in reasonable condition, as it is the classic beachfront lifestyle, while only a few km from the city. I have 2 mid-range IPs in Cairns, and haven't had the prob of people leaving in the wet. Of course if it was a holiday let it would be a different story..

One thing to check with a prospective IP is proximity to the creek (southern end of Machans), as the mozzies and sandflies can be horrendous, although for many who live in Cairns permanently its is par for the course, just a minor downfall of living in the tropics.

As for the market in Cairns at the mo, my PM tells me it is still pretty flat, after many years of high growth, although mid-range properties are holding their own...upper range properties are losing out a bit, and are more difficult to tenant, not sure what the current vacancy rate is, but it took me 2 weeks to tenant my 350/wk IP last April. There is a lot of new stock for sale in the new subdivisions.

Hope this is of assistance.
Cheers,
Nadia

Machans

Toon,

I think the guru on machans on here would be Sailor. She recently moved into a wonderful ocean front house there and is very familiar with the whole Cairns area.

If she does not respond soon, you could PM her, I'm she would not mind.

Cheers

Chrisv

Actually I was thinking I hadn't noticed sailor on the forum much lately, is she ok?

Yep, she has been conspicuous by her absence. It may be she is too busy with the toyboy or finishing the reno. Then again it is silly season up there so she may be flat strap at work.:D:D

I am going to Cns biginning of March to sort a contract for the new build so will try and catch up with her then.

Cheers

Chrisv.

Last I heard she was busy having a book she co-wrote published etc...

Actually, Toon, thought of another thing - obvious, I am sure..but Insurance..make sure you have it and make sure it is suitable for cyclone prone Cairns...Sailor lost some IPs in Innisfail in a cyclone, but was covered by good insurance (CGU from memory) and has actually done very well out of it! Reno al-la insurance!;)

Nadia

Thanks Nadia & Chrisv :) I'll have a read through Sailor's post & check out Cairns Council's site - thank's for the links.

Toon

You (or the tenants) will experience significant aircraft noise at Machans beach.
Have a look out the window when you fly into Cairns. You will see your potential IP a few metres below you.
However some people arent bothered by that.

Although Cairns is a nice place I have some doubts about it as an investment location. I think you could do better elsewhere.
It is basically tourism that drives that place - not many other industries i.e. compared with Tville (or Darwin) which has a lot more mining, govt etc. The reef is in trouble and tourism is a bit of a fluctuating industry. I.e. when Qantas cut some flights to Cairns everybody freaked out.
One possible advantage to Cairns is it has some cheap places there. I bought a 2 bed unit for 139k in May 2007. It was about 5ks to the CBD. In fact my friend is looking for a unit and Cairns is about the only place in qld she can find anything. However that suburb had some pretty hard brothers living there. Maybe I will do a story about that in Coffee Lounge sometime.

Is anyone familiar with Machan's Beach? I have only visited briefly on holidays a few years ago. Would it be easy to get stable tenants, or do people tend to leave the area over the wet season?

Realistically, how great is the danger from cyclones & flooding here & in the general Cairns area?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Toon

Gday Toon, curious when you picked Machans as opposed to beaches further north like Trinity and Clifton where theres a lot newer homes.

Gday Toon, curious when you picked Machans as opposed to beaches further north like Trinity and Clifton where theres a lot newer homes.

It wasn't so much that I picked Machans, there was just a particular property there that I liked the look of, which seemed comparitively cheap & was thinking along the lines of something I could eventually live in in a few years. I'm still open to other areas up north though.

You (or the tenants) will experience significant aircraft noise at Machans beach.
Have a look out the window when you fly into Cairns. You will see your potential IP a few metres below you.
However some people arent bothered by that.

Although Cairns is a nice place I have some doubts about it as an investment location. I think you could do better elsewhere.
It is basically tourism that drives that place - not many other industries i.e. compared with Tville (or Darwin) which has a lot more mining, govt etc. The reef is in trouble and tourism is a bit of a fluctuating industry. I.e. when Qantas cut some flights to Cairns everybody freaked out.
One possible advantage to Cairns is it has some cheap places there. I bought a 2 bed unit for 139k in May 2007. It was about 5ks to the CBD. In fact my friend is looking for a unit and Cairns is about the only place in qld she can find anything. However that suburb had some pretty hard brothers living there. Maybe I will do a story about that in Coffee Lounge sometime.

Thanks Gatoblanco, I didn't realise it was under a flight path :( No wonder properties seemed cheap. Don't think I could handle that noise. Will have to do more research on other areas.

About 15mths ago they changed the flight path in Cairns for planes taking off also. It meant that the residents along the Cairns esplanade got even more noise (the Cairns esplanade isnt far from the airport anyway). Anyway the residents got quite upset.

It wasn't so much that I picked Machans, there was just a particular property there that I liked the look of, which seemed comparitively cheap & was thinking along the lines of something I could eventually live in in a few years. I'm still open to other areas up north though.

Don't think you will have a problem with noise there. Just stay upper side of Christensen St and not down by the river. It is a place that you will like retiring too. So close to Cairns yet its like a fishing village of its own. Everyones friendly and know each other. Plus developers are not very welcome. Great for retirees, not so for property investors.

If you find a renovator, get it done cheaply and you'll be able to rent it out for mid $300s very easily. Good luck.

Back