Made in Australia: The Future of Australian Cities - Anyone read it?

Made in Australia: The Future of Australian Cities - Anyone read the book?

I was reading an article in the latest edition of API magazine titled "The future of Australian Housing" in which the above book was referenced. It gives some thought provoking insight into what the population, house prices and economic outlook of australian cities might be in the next 50 years.

In the article its interesting to read that Perth ($1.21 mil) will be the 3rd largest capital city in 50 years and Perth will be the 2nd most expensive city behind Sydney (1.2mil) but way above 3rd place melbourne ($820,000) and that the density of capital cities is predicited to INCREASE from 66.1% to 73.4% by 2061. (Perth population is predicted to overtake brisbane in 2028)

I thought this may be a good book to start reading for my 'long term' planning. If you have read this book, can you recommend it? and have you changed your investment strategy after reading it?

here is an extract from the book: http://uwap.uwa.edu.au/static/files/assets/247afcec/Made_in_Australia_Extract.pdf

Last edited:
There's no doubt capital cities will get denser. It's the primary way for our population to grow.

As for Perth outgrowing Brisbane, it's certainly on that trend, but the number of women moving there is not as high as men.

Interestingly, Victoria and SA have the lowest male:female ratio; whereas NT (by a long shot) and WA have the highest ratio.

Could it be men are or have to be more mobile when it comes to work?

I was reading an article in the latest edition of API magazine titled "The future of Australian Housing" in which the above book was referenced.

I read the article(at the start of the month) and found it thought provoking, had a quick look at the ABS website afterwards also.

Regarding your comments about "...good book to start reading for my 'long term' planning." Totally agree, I think I'll end up getting it also.

If you do read it soon though, post a comment on what you thought. :)

Re: Aaron's latte comments - lol :D

Interestingly, Victoria and SA have the lowest male:female ratio; whereas NT (by a long shot) and WA have the highest ratio.

Could it be men are or have to be more mobile when it comes to work?

My guess is something simpler: certain industries (mining) that are almost completely male, and the relatively small sizes of populations in NT and WA (especially NT), making the ratio easier to skew.

I don't like Perth. Last time I was there 2 coppers at the airport kept staring at me.

And the place is also too expensive unlike the Druitt.

I don't like Perth. Last time I was there 2 coppers at the airport kept staring at me.

And the place is also too expensive unlike the Druitt.

When was the last time you visited Perth??? Its become a vibrant city, been lots of money pumped into the place. I just got back from Melb and I think offers an equally wonderful lifestyle.

You still probably wont like it though, too many hipsters now;)

Last edited:
Hi

Can somebody tell me the exact name of the magazine and which edition I can find this article in?

I know I can read it from the web link above but I am interested in the whole book.

regards,

alicudi

The book is called
Made in Australia: The Future of Australian Cities

I have a pile of other property books I must read first so I might buy this book in about 6 months and post the good bits.

Back