Maintenance - Elecronic Garage doors, internal door handles

1) I have a B&D Roller door with new motor etc about 12 months old. When it was installed I was told it needs to be serviced every 6 months. When I asked what's involved in the maintenace they said it needs to be oiled. To to do it myself, can I just use RP7 or do I need to use a different oil.

2) The house I'm living in was built about 13 years ago. Several of the rooms have never been used and the door handles are extremely difficult to turn and unlatch. The handles are brass, round handle on long plate. Should I take them apart and oil them? Could that possibly damage them?

Thanks, I know nothing about maintenance and building products.

Last edited:
Can't believe a roller door needs to be serviced every six months. I have one and don't think it has ever been serviced in eight years. Works well.

Methinks the roller door company is trying to fleece you :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments Wylie. You just don't know who to trust. I usually avoid all of the warranty bullshi. Surely all moving parts need to be oiled though??? We've alrealdy been through one rollerdoor and house is 13 years old. What about my geourgous knobs also? Do you think I should pull them apart and oil them??? IMG_1207.jpg

I used to use 20W40, but best to use it early in the morning so smell can go away before night falls, as it can be unpleasant especially in the bedroom.

I would not pull them apart as first choice, oil them first as see what happens.

There is also smell free I was told, silicon based spray, but bit on the expensive side for me and since I have few spray cans of 20W40, I thought to use them first.

Best to use with thin tube it is supplied with and stick that tube into any opening or as close as possible to gap between handle and plate.

Also turn the knob and spray inside opening of the latch.

Use little bit at the time so it doesn't leak out and stain the paint.

As to roller door mechanism, same 20W40 spray can be used.
Just have a look if chain is getting rusty or looks too dry.

If you use oil it will attract dust and might also drip, so use it while car is outside and if you used bit too much let it drip on the floor rather than a car.

I have used graphite powder to "loosen up" locks. It comes in a little plastic squeeze bottle and you "puff" it into the mechanism via the keyhole. I would try that first.

You should get the door serviced every 12 months. if it a new door then may be once within the first 6 months.

You can apply silicon spray yourself if you notice the door struggling. If you do not service the door regularly then it places strain on the motor causing the motor to wear out early.

During the service they will also test the tension on the spring. One way to test the tension yourself is to switch to manual mode...then see if the door goes up with little effort. If the door feels heavy then the spring needs to be tightened.

Thanks for replies everyone.

Sailesh - I've printed a copy of your instructions to keep in my garage for maintenance. Those motors aren't cheap! Thanks heaps

The door handles looked similar to ones I had seen advertised years ago by Gainsborough. I ended up emailing them for advice and they kindly called me back today. They instructed me to to pull them apart and spray Inox on them (a fast drying lubricant that can be purchased from Bunnings) Also instructed never to use oil as it attracts dirt and clogs them up worse.

Regards, Linda

1) I have a B&D Roller door with new motor etc about 12 months old. When it was installed I was told it needs to be serviced every 6 months. When I asked what's involved in the maintenace they said it needs to be oiled. To to do it myself, can I just use RP7 or do I need to use a different oil.

Does it have a chain?
If it does, you could use the lubricant people use on motorbike chains
It comes in a spray can.
I wouldn't use RP7.

If it doesn't have a chain it will have gears and in that case you need to be careful as to what and where you lubricate.
I'd say follow the manual but 6 monthly lubrication seems excessive to me.
In a household environment they should go for years with need for lubrication.

Cheers

Back