Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Ukraine, 295 dead, 27 Australians dead

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/07/17/a-real-time-picture-of-how-flights-are-now-avoiding-ukrainian-airspace/

This link shows commercial flights avoiding the area - one that is the cheapest (fuel wise) to fly from western Europe to SEA. MH was a little naughty, flying over a war zone to save on fuel.
They weren't naughty, it's a normal route that plenty of airlines fly. Flying over conflict zones is completely normal, I've flown over Afghanistan heaps of times and even over Iraq the year the US invaded.

No one knows who did it or why, mistake or not, everything is speculation.

Humans unfortunately die everyday, Illness, Natural Disasters, Car Accidents etc
Some things just cannot be helped.

What I do not agree with is when Innocent people get caught up in acts of War and Terrorism, its an injustice and sickens me.

My thoughts and Prayers to the Families and the Innocent Taken on Flight MH 17.

Last edited:
I believe mistaken for a Ukrainian plane

What purpose would shooting down a civilian plane from another country do for them?

Trigger happy young soldier perhaps?

Very sad though

Oh Neeko - there are no words ... it is sad and upsetting enough without knowing anyone on the flight - but it must be shocking for you ... thoughts and prayers and silent cyber hug

Oh Neeko - there are no words ... it is sad and upsetting enough without knowing anyone on the flight - but it must be shocking for you ... thoughts and prayers and silent cyber hug

Thanks lizzie It's ******** what has happened. My gf is in shock too. All 3 of us lived together it's a joke!

Sorry for your loss Neeko!!!

Apparently it was separatists (backed by russia) that accidently shot it down thinking it was a ukranian plane. The idiots posted on social media they accidently hit a civilian plane. The post was pulled down hastily..
They also said they have the blackbox and are sending it to the kremlin??????

By doing this inadvertantly are making the west intervene..the exact opposite of what they wanted.

Devastating on sooo many levels.

These words came to my mind:
None shall sleep as those who sleep in peace

I found a corresponding verse by Google

Proverbs 3:24

When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Recent lessons ....

Having flown many airmiles during corporate life recent lessons have been eye opening . One. Airline transponders can be easily turned off so that the plane is not readily tracked ....and hence like MH370 can be , well , lost. Two. Commercial flights routinely fly over recognised war zones !!!! Holy s---t!! Who is in charge of this system? How many times have I sat through the "safety" video.... Buckled up my seatbelt....etc etc ....And then flown over a war zone? Beam me up Scotty ...... LL PS give Qantas credit. They have been avoiding Ukraine airspace for some months. Go Oz!

Having flown many airmiles during corporate life recent lessons have been eye opening . One. Airline transponders can be easily turned off so that the plane is not readily tracked ....and hence like MH370 can be , well , lost. Two. Commercial flights routinely fly over recognised war zones !!!! Holy s---t!! Who is in charge of this system? How many times have I sat through the "safety" video.... Buckled up my seatbelt....etc etc ....And then flown over a war zone? Beam me up Scotty ...... LL PS give Qantas credit. They have been avoiding Ukraine airspace for some months. Go Oz!

my thoughts exactly

Hi

To neeko...I simply don't know what to say but this is an absolute tragedy for all involved.

I cannot believe I didn't know about it for a couple of hours and it has basically taken over all news headlines around the world and to lose so many Australian's and in your case a house mate is just sickening.

Hope you and your partner get through this bad time by thinking of the good times you had with your house mate. Lives can be lost but memories last a lifetime.

Regards,

alicudi

Sorry to read that Neeko.

I was listening to an interview yesterday and the guy said this is what can happen when sophisticated war machines are being operated by unsophisticated people, very true, unfortunately:(

They weren't naughty, it's a normal route that plenty of airlines fly. Flying over conflict zones is completely normal, I've flown over Afghanistan heaps of times and even over Iraq the year the US invaded.

No one knows who did it or why, mistake or not, everything is speculation.

It's a normal route when it's not a conflict zone. My OP and http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28364306 suggests a lot of airlines have been avoiding the area.

This is footage from Ukranian news, first scenes of the crash. Small pieces of fuselage are still quietly burning. Some people lying amidst the wreckage look as if they are sleeping but the footage shows later an unmistakable human body that is half-charred...

I've been to a crash site before. This is different.

Warning: Graphic scenes
Do not click if you are likely to be traumatised
The first page of the website states:
"By clicking on CONTINUE you confirm that you are 18 years and over".

Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea9_1405620477#oxGo0UyLzHo5P7Hx.99

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea9_1405620477

This is footage from Ukranian news, first scenes of the crash. Small pieces of fuselage are still quietly burning. Some people lying amidst the wreckage look as if they are sleeping but the footage shows later an unmistakable human body that is half-charred...

I've been to a crash site before. This is different.

If the plane had been shot down you would expect the wreckage to be spread over K's not contained in one little area, as it is on the video. Also a lot of the bodies seem too well intact to have fallen 10ks.

Back