Matching floorboards?

Hi all,
Just purchased a property which is all carpet, but underneath most of it is some beautiful old hardwood. Part of the house however is an extention and I believe has some kind of pine.

Is it feasible to get someone to come out and replace the pine with some new/2nd hand wood that will match the rest of the house?

Alternatively, swapping the boards from the 3 bedrooms into this living area? The bedrooms will be carpeted so it wouldn't matter too much.

I am in Blackburn South, VIC

THanks!

You can do either of those things. We have done both in different houses.

Of course with a large section both options will be costly, but for a uniform finished look, it could be worthwhile.

If you have a definite break from one area to another, a different timber could also work well, but if it flows from one area straight into another with no visual break other than different floorboards, it would be something we would do too.

we have different timber in one section and have stained it all to match. Unless you look closely , you cant see where it changes. The biggest difference is the width of the timbers. the older timbers are much narrower.

Hi all,
Just purchased a property which is all carpet, but underneath most of it is some beautiful old hardwood. Part of the house however is an extention and I believe has some kind of pine.

Is it feasible to get someone to come out and replace the pine with some new/2nd hand wood that will match the rest of the house?

Alternatively, swapping the boards from the 3 bedrooms into this living area? The bedrooms will be carpeted so it wouldn't matter too much.

I am in Blackburn South, VIC

THanks!

Baltic pine?

Have done this twice. Both occasions, I have taken a sample of the existing board, cut it, so you can see the colour on the end. This is unaffected by previous staining and normal wear and tear. Old timber yards, although I don't know any around your area will have stock. You will need to make sure the widths match (they are either 19mm or 22mm for memory) and then match the colours as best as you can. Cost is around ~$7-10 per lineal metre.

You can then get a handyman, carpenter etc to take up the other boards and install them. Their labour cost will be more than the boards.

Once sanded and polished they'll come up a treat.

Check out recycle centres and demolition yards. They might be able to supply you with a really close match if that size/type, etc timber is not available new to match..

Thanks a lot for your advice guys. Much appreciated.

I would rather get matching timber than stain the pine as from what I recall (haven't settled yet) the pattern is quite different. Not sure what specific species either of them are, but will take photos and enquire at a few recycle centres.

Unfortunately it's quite an open area where the wood changes so making a feature of it I don't feel would work.

Will update thread as we progress...

Back