Material change of use...

Hi all,

i have a property in ipswich which may be able to change its material change of use into a small doctors surgery or similar.

Are there any benefits in doing so? It will still be zone res a, but a change of use will be registered with the council etc.

the only benefit i can see is that i may get a better rental return..

what do others think?

the rental return will be much more in my favour. i think the only down side is that the place needs to be converted to accomodate such a tenant. eg.. sprinkler systems, wheel chair access, air con in each room etc..

plus building a 10 or so parking spaces on the property. all this would make it a fairly reasonable expense..

A residential zoning with permission for commercial use is generally the best of all worlds; residential zoning typically attracts the most $/m2 upon sale of the land, whereas a commercial zoning typically attracts a higher yield. You can benefit from the higher commercial yield, then when selling, can sell it as a residential property (or as resi land) if the market favours that option at that time. I think it's a great opportunity, if there's a market for commercial properties of the type you're proposing in the area.

there is one like that for sale in brissy atm, 1220 Logan Rd, Upper Mt Gravatt (from memory)

the ad said it pulls ~50k rent a year (again, from memory)

its a corner block that has side access to build a carpark. i would need to sort that our im sure as part of the application.

Has anyone gone through a mcu with council? curious to know your thoughts.

the other side of that equations is that i may need to put in things like.

- ac in each room
- wheel chair access
- parking spaces
- sprinkler systems...

Back