Mawson, ACT

How's this suburb? Are there any streets within the 'burb I need to stay away from and am I better off looking at Isaacs or Phillip? Looks like I might move everyone down from Sydney to Canberra for a couple of years then IP time.

(yes I'm aware of the stamp duty deduction in the first year if it's let out...)

Mawson is nice - fairly central. Large shopping area and not far from Woden plaza.

I've always thought the units near the shops were very ugly (we used it call it the Great Wall of China). Lots of kids sport played on the ovals on the weekends, which can be noisy.

Isaacs and Phillip are very different - Isaacs is expensive houses, Phillip is mainly units. I dont think they are comparable. It would depend on what you are looking for.

Mawson is good - I think the shops are a bit ugly but the location is great and the suburb itself is quite nice.

Agree with Nemo - Phillip is more units and townhouses as well as commercial whilst Isaacs is an established burb full of mainly houses. Check out Farrer too.

I assume you're well acquainted with www.allhomes.com.au ?

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks fellas - that's exactly what I want to hear. I just don't want to spend the dosh and ended up getting something similar to Chisholm/Gilmore/Richardson.

Check out Farrer too.

I assume you're well acquainted with www.allhomes.com.au ?

Nah Farrer's kind of out of the question as it's not the priority intake for Mawson primary. If school choice wasn't part of the option, I'd be looking around Kambah/Gordon as it's cheaper, seemed half decent and closer to work.

Yep I'm familiar with Allhomes :)

Honestly dont think you'd have much trouble getting into an out of area school in Canberra - its not like Sydney. Often govt schools here are looking at taking on extra students from other suburbs just to keep their enrolments up, particularly in older suburbs where there aren't as many students (I'd put Mawson in this category).

Farrer primary has an excellent reputation by the way - I did some prac teaching there many years ago. It is one of the best Govt schools in Canb.

Back