MBA's and the GMAT

Now I start to understand why it's so challenging. The school I am interested in (INSEAD, France and Singapore campus) ranked no 2 in Europe. No 1 was London Business School - is England really part of Europe????......and it also scored no 7 in the global 2005 ranking.

I understand the points made about the company sponsoring the deal. I guess what I am seeking is out of the normal realm. When I was working in Sydney I approved a number of part time MBA's for my own staff at the AGSM. I don't think I would have any problems getting something like that sponsored. I just can't see why my or any company would pay for me to live in France for one year, off work in the process, which would require additional expat relocation exepenses for the company, and a tuition fee of 43,000 euros!! I just could not see myself asking for that.

Part of the reason for it as I mentioned earlier is the chance to live in another country. Fontainebleau (sp??), is a qualint village near Paris where INSEAD is set up. My wife loved the place when we visited the school this year during a holiday. I'm looking for a kind of "gap" year.

Actually, as luck would have it, I found out today that I have been considered for a company Business Leadership program which will run for an extended period. The location is New York City and will run in early 2006. I was wrapped to have this opportunity and this just makes it tougher to up and leave for extended period. It's so hard to leave a place that is so committed to your development.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens with this idea. Interesting comments, Thx.

PS to Michael - good luck in your studies - it must be so tough doing the part time gig.

Oscar, I knew a couple of guys in the late 80s who were given all the time off they wanted on full pay, to complete a full time Masters coursework. One of them was with AMP. We both became good windsurfers in that time :)

Though like you say, being OS is somethign else.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to negotiate a deal with your employer, where they pick up 66% of the tab and you sign a loyalty contract for x years, or a performance clause. (you oversee x% profit increase and that scales back your lock in).

TFB, I was thinking along those lines myself just today.

Whatever I decide to do, it won't be run of the mill, so agreeing to meet half way or there abouts might be the best approach.

This may also be a MLC thing, time will tell.....

Cheers mate (I don't get to say that too often around here)

Funny enough in the last week or so I have decided that I wanted to go back to Uni and do my MBA. Im not sure if the MBA im talking about though is the same one this thread refers to. I know UTS ( University of Technology, Sydney) offers this course. Does it mean less because its not from an internation business school?

Currently I am in early stages of my engineering carrer (2 years), eventually want to move on to management. Some people have advised me to wait untill then whilst others have said to do it not and then start moving up the ladder. The way I see it, any sort of relevant certification/masters is like a turbo boost in your carreer and is most beneficial once first attained. That is, the first 1 year after achieving this is when the related progression occurs.

I guess what I would like to know most is whether an MBA is an MBA regardless of where you get it from..

Also my employer has offered to pay up to 3k a year for it.. Unfortunatley at that rate it will take me 8 years!

Oscar,

I think its excellent that you have achieved this in your carreer. Congratulations and keep setting goals as thats the only way..

Dear GeorgesA, from a somewhat older engineering graduate to a younger one - I think you should do it when you feel you're ready and have the time and energy and resources to do it - if that's right now then go for it. From what I'm reading most MBA students are only a few years out of university. If you have management aspirations then the MBA will not hurt any and will only give you the knowledge you need to do better in your job. Understand though that it is no guarantee of success, your demonstrated application of what you learn in your current job is most likely what your employer would be looking for.

As for the type of school, my view is that you should shoot for the best there is. I don't know if it actually makes much difference to the knowledge you get, but on the surface many multinational companies consider *which* school you graduated from as a pertinent factor. I think the AGSM in Kensington is the most renowned in Australia.

It would be interesting to hear from others the advantages they feel they received from their MBA, whether it be career progression, or the knowledge to make their jobs easier, or the alumni network, or whatever...

George, several years ago, my circle of friends considered that it was better to become above average in your core specialty before doing a MBA. You need to consolidate as an engineer before getting involved in engineering management, that's unless your Dad owns the company, or you have been approached by management for fast tracking.

My friends did their MBAs in their late 20s early 30s.

A couple of years ago, there was a view that graduates that couldn't secure permanent work, were heading back to do Masters 1-3 years out of uni. They didn't have a lot of work experience behind them, and they couldn't get as much out of the degree. Employers did not see doing a Masters this early as a great plus.

At the end of the day, you are probably best to approach a few of the mid and large market leaders HR depts in your field, and ask their opinion.

It also depends whether or not you go the full time or part time route. I agree that if you decide to take off a couple of years to complete full time your best of having around 4 to 5 years experience under your belt. If you do it part time, I don't see any major disadvantages in starting earlier if you are very MOTIVATED to do it.

Hi Oscar,

You are correct. But then again I dont think there is a guarantee to success otherwise we wouldnt be here on this forum. If anyone does have the guarantee to success then please let me know. I also agree that you you need to show a really good demonstrated ability in curernt engineering role first.

Some people do MBA few years out of uni because like Bruce said, they can not find a good stable Job, thankfully I have this and If i decide to do MBA it will be part time over 4 years. I understand this is a really long time but this is how long i belive it will take for me to get a better technical understanding of what I do and then move in to an introductory management role such as team leading. From there who knows but I am hoping the MBA will be a good push in the back towards where I want to go.

Bruce, I know some people that have 2 degrees and masters yet still can not find work. This is due to a combination of high expectation, lack of experience and in some cases minimal life skills. Thats what happen when your brainwashed that a good education will lead to cucceess. Good education, hard work and being switched on might lead to success but never education on its own.

several years ago, my circle of friends considered that it was better to become above average in your core specialty before doing a MBA

Exactly my thoughts but do u mean being above average before commencement or before comlpetion??

Back