Melb rental advice for couple/baby..

Hi all,
I hope its okay if I post in this forum...
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Heres our situation, we are a stable couple relocating from Perth to Melbourne towards the end of the year, or early 2014.
We are hoping to rent in Northcote/Thornbury/Fairfeild/Brunswick area.
We have rental refs, are clean and respectful...
My partner will fly in and out to Perth and is on $120K plus per annum.
I will be studying.
We will be renting out our home in Perth and with baby in tow Im becoming increasingly nervous that our timing and looking for a rental in the above areas will become a nightmare!
Our preferable rent will be under $500 and we are hoping for a small home, but can be flexible.

Do any of you have any advice on how to best tackle applying for rentals from a landlords perspective?
Will there be many available early Jan? Very nervous that we will be homeless with the youngin if the search is dragged out!
Or do any of you on here happen to have any rentals in these areas?
Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

When we shifted from Melbourne to the Gold Coast we booked the whole thing on line. Look up rentals on realestate.com.au, find the one you like, can look up position and street view on google maps, contact agent, send refs. pay dep and bond. Piece of cake!

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
Im still working out all the kinks, but feeling more ready to tackle to task after some great advice off these forums. cheers

Back