melbourne bayside - PPOR renovation for 50K

Looking for a while after the right property for a PPOR around Melbourne bayside area - and looks to me that im not able to have a good guess around reno cost.
Would appreciate your views on the cost of the below (as an example) -
Renovation of -
1. 3 bathrooms - replace all including tiles
2. kitchen - replace all + appliances
3. put timber floor along the house (4 bedrooms, kitchen and living area)
4. paint - internal

Quality level / price range - medium level

WDYT? was thinking on figures around 50K

Last edited:
It depends on how much work you do yourself

If you do none and simply ask tradies to quote - then I think you have underbudgeted

If you can get all the fixtures and fittings yourself and ask someone to install then you might do it for 50k

What are the floors currently ?
What I think you are proposing wont be cheap

We did a bathroom for our PPOR a few months ago. We spent about $21K (from memory - there is a thread on it here somewhere). I did the costing of the same bathroom using less expensive fittings, and could have done it for $11K.

I'd be thinking for a medium level of quality and finish, assuming you pay a professional tiler, would be $10K including everything (is "tails" a typo?).

Kitchen could be done for $10K without appliances (depending on size) I reckon for a good quality finish, and upwards from there.

I've no idea about cost of floors as it depends on what is there, and what you want to do.

Painting inside also depends on how much preparation, how many coats (changing colour, freshening up, how much gloss work etc)?

I live around your area, and do renno's for profit on places similar to what your asking.

50k is very skinny depending on what finish you are after and what materials you are dealing with and whether you are doing the work.

3 bathrooms:

Removing all tiles, but replacing them with what? Floor to celing? tiled shower bases etc? Work off $100 a square meter at a minimum for just the tiles, that will include removing them, getting a basic "OK" looking tile, and having it laid. I'd be allowing at least $500 per shower base, that will keep you safe depending on what you go with, a little room for a poly marble, and probably bang on what having it screeded and tiled will cost.

Then we come to baths: freestanding will be cheaper than a hob, for obvious reasons. Allow $1000 minimum.

Plumbing: pretty much count every point in the bathroom, multiply it by $150 and you should get an idea. Taps count as points, waste points count etc.

Does it have a toilet in the bathroom?

Fittings:Obviously this varies, but you will struggle to get a decent vanity and basin/s for under $400, taps, shower heads, they all add up.

I think you should work off about $4k as an absolute minimum if you are gutting the bathroom of everything besides the plaster, and thats assuming the walls are perfect and need no alterations, and you dont have to move any plumbing etc.

The kitchen: If you are getting it custom made, basic PVC or laminex, standard size with a breakfast bar etc, work off about $10-12k plus appliances for a medium finish, that will look like an excellent kitchen for your average joe. (This is not including bench tops)

IF you want stone, you are looking at another $3k+ for most standard kitchen sizes.

Floors: Solid timber? Polished?

For a polished timber floor, work off around $90 sq/m as an absolute minimum + $laying. For 4 bedrooms, a kitchen and living area, you are looking at probably close to 7+ days of man power to lay a standard house with that many rooms, work off $80/hr if you can find the right carpenter with an apprentice etc.

Painters charge a fortune, I'd be looking at doing it yourself, for a 4br house in our area, you are up for easily a couple of grand in retail paint costs, and thats if you have all the paint gear you need......

As you can see, none of this includes internal fittings, i.e door handles etc, lights, sparkies, plasterers if need be.

Basically I don't think $50k is anywhere near feasible on a 4br home with 3 bathrooms and a kitchen..........Or your medium finish is alot lower than mine.......

For instance, I will be putting some pictures up soon of my PPOR im flipping at the moment, it's about to go to market. It was a 3br, I extended it adding an open plan and an ensuite, making it a 4/2/2, not entirely comparable because of the extension and it was completely re-roofed, but I also got a heap of materials for nothing, 90% of the labor was free and had 1 less bathroom, so it may even out, but that was around $100k, to what I'd consider a medium-high standard.

Last edited:
BTW - the example i posted came into my mind after looking at the property in the link below. The scope of the renovation is in reality much bigger than the limited items above - and should include, in my view - knocking down few walls, getting rid of an old SPA in the living room..., move or put more decent stairs etc - bottom line - so much work and effort that the only way to make this house a decent PPOR and within some reasonable budget boundaries is to pay no more than land value - and then consider again the reno cost vs new house - or the investor alternative of dual dwelling

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-115981227

Back