Melbourne Building and Home Improvement Expo

Hey guys,

We went along to this and exhibited on the weekend - wondering if anyone else went? Was some really cool ideas there, I am falling in love with epoxy floors. Definitely going into our next home (which we will build).

Ben

i went there too - was amazed how many chinese companies came to the fair to sell their products which is good for competition on building construction prices.

i went there too - was amazed how many chinese companies came to the fair to sell their products which is good for competition on building construction prices.

How do you figure that?

Maybe the products will be cheaper? They already are; much of the stuff being used now is from O/S....taps, lights, nails and so forth.

While I want to pay for less for a house that I build, I also want there to be builders available who can do the work and make a living, and building supplies companies that can supply them.

Wood and concrete for example; let's get it all offshore yeah? Good one.

What about roofing; corrugated iron or tiles? Some of that is still made here.

How many of the local companies that supply those products won't be around if that happens?

The local glass guy here in my cubby-hole is one of our customers at the shop and did some work for me on our last reno.

He is slowly going broke having to try and compete with Chinese glass and internet.

It's ironic; once he goes, people will have to travel much further to save their few dollars on a sheet of glass....pffft.

just stating the reality - there are whole apartment blocks using glass and windows in carlton from china, kitchens, floorboards, tiles etc.

Saving a couple of dollars for a sheet of glass yes but - say a bifold or stacking doors triple glazed is only 25% of the price what you would pay to the makers of the doors here. and that is delivered with insurance to your door which can be savings of 6-8K. Not everything can be imported unfortunately - as you mentioned but Unfortunately - that's how the game is played (which is why the harvey normans) are complainig why everyone is buying their electronics off the web.

Also - take a trip to your local bunnings - and you can easily work out majority of stuff is manufactured overseas anyway

just stating the reality - there are whole apartment blocks using glass and windows in carlton from china, kitchens, floorboards, tiles etc.

Saving a couple of dollars for a sheet of glass yes but - say a bifold or stacking doors triple glazed is only 25% of the price what you would pay to the makers of the doors here. and that is delivered with insurance to your door which can be savings of 6-8K. Not everything can be imported unfortunately - as you mentioned but Unfortunately - that's how the game is played (which is why the harvey normans) are complainig why everyone is buying their electronics off the web.

Also - take a trip to your local bunnings - and you can easily work out majority of stuff is manufactured overseas anyway

I don't disagree at all.

My point is the ramifications...all bad for local jobs ultimately..

No-one believes me.

It is bad for local jobs but if u can't beat them just join them

Some parts in the middle east have seen a big increase imports of building materials and car parts as the Chinese cars have increased their mkt share there.

Back