Melbourne End of May 2012 Somersoft Meeting - Nunawading

BTW I have just looked at google maps - and I am now more mystified by the UFO site - what the hell are those cylinderical things??? :eek:

They're sheds of some sort. They almost look like aircraft hangers, but there's no other infastructure. It would be interesting to figure out who owns the site.

Great presentation Ben. Well done!

Hi TV,

In answer to some of your questions below:

Why Bendigo?

I picked Bendigo because, in my opinion, the distance to Melbourne vs the difference in Price was out of proportion. Basically for the price difference you can live in Bendigo and work in Melbourne (1 hr 10min on the morning train from Bendigo to Southern Cross), or work in Bendigo and still easily visit family and friends in Melbourne.

Throw on top of this the clear indications from government of all levels that they want to grow Bendigo and keep it as a major regional hub:

$600m hospital development - both state and federal funding
State Trustees relocation from Melbourne to Bendigo - State funding and job creation/relocation
Redevelopment of the Theater, museum and library - local government funding

Current/Future trends in Bendigo:
From a relocation point of view we are getting a lot of people who grew up in Bendigo and surrounding areas, who moved to Melbourne to study and work, and now in post-GFC times, wanting to raise a family and want to do it in Bendigo, not Melbourne. I also think that with the continued development of the arts, and the state of the art hospital, that retirees will play a big part in Bendigo's future.

On top of this we are seeing, and will continue to see with the upgrade of the train lines and therefore additional services, people relocating from Melbourne to Bendigo to get a decent house for a decent price.

Vacancy rates:

These are quite low based on SQM research data:

Postcode 3550: 1.7%
Postcode 3551: 1.4%
Postcode 3555: 0.7%

This is compared to Melbourne at the moment at a vacancy rate of 3.1%

Median house prices:
Median prices are circa $300,000 in Bendigo. There are some differences with this number compared with Melbourne though. Remember there are a lot of larger blocks and fewer small units or townhouses, so the median type of house in Bendigo would be different to the median type in Melbourne. Saying this - the growth has been there for 2011 according to RP Data. In 2011 Victoria had only 3 suburbs in the top 20 capital growth suburbs for the year, being:
Kangaroo Flat (15th) 13.2% growth
Golden Square (17th) 12.7% growth
Bendigo (19th) 12.1% growth

This is compared to Melbourne of a 2.3% fall.

Pockets to look at/to avoid:

Totally dependant on your investment strategy. For example if you want buy and hold I would probably recommend Golden Square for lower priced opportunities (~mid to high $200's) or Spring Gully for slightly higher priced ones (mid $300's). If you are looking for development in the short-term then North Bendigo is a great option, longer term you would look at Eaglehawk, Ironbark, Long Gully and California Gully.

Hope that helps, any other questions please let me know.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Belu,

can you share your thoughts for those who cannot attend but still value your inputs

-Why Bendigo?
-Current trends in Bendigo?
-Future growth trends?
-Vacancy rates?
-Median house prices?
-Pockets to look at and pockets to avoid?

Regards,
TV

Thank Y-Man for organising, Peter for hosting and all for attending. Sorry if I went on for a while, I just get excited about Bendigo!

from a little bit of a google search, i think it is the longlea Magazine, property of the defence department.

It was formerly a magazine area for the storage of bulk high explosives, propellants and
chemicals

http://www.veac.vic.gov.au/reports/385-Chapter-13.pdf

Huh! I knew it - another Roswell coverup! :D

The Y-man

p.s. for people who have no idea what we are on about - and how would you :p - see http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-36....02995,0.038581&t=h&z=15&lci=com.panoramio.all

Thanks Pete for the link. It was good information.

I spoke to a hospital accomodation officer at the Bendigo Base Hospital today. Currently they lease a staggering 130 units (2 or 3 bedders) around the hospital. Mostly furnished units new or refurbished. They like central, north bendigo, golden square etc.

The bad news is that with the new hospital being built, there is an accomodation wing of 120 1 to 2 bedroom units to meet the need by Bendigo Health. Most doctors employed on a non permanent basis have accomodation provided by the hospital and that number is increasing.

I think furnished units in the short term is an excellent idea especially with an outside construction workforce as well but in the medium to long term the new hospital may actually have a negative impact on that market niche.

Hi Evan,

Just remember that the hospital is expanding - so their need of accomodation will increase. I also think some of those units are for patients and patient families to stay in but will confirm this.

Cheers

Ben

Bit more info on Houses in Bendigo:

2011 Median = $319,500
2012 Median = $331,500

10 Year Growth = 7.6%
36 Month Growth = 31.3%
12 Month Growth = 3.8%
Projected Growth 5 years = 2%
Projected Growth 8 years = 3%

Yield = 5%

- - - - -

I remember about 10 years ago there was a lot of hype in Lithgow, NSW (2hrs from Sydney near Bathurst) as they were building a regional hub hospital and the state processing centre for the ATO.

The new hospital, debt collection and tax office were completed and after a short, small growth spurt the town reverted to its natural flat line state. This is the norm for regional areas, they fall behind in value as they stay relatively flat and then go up when they're far too undervalued.

The vacancy rate is low and the yields aren't too bad in that area but what demand is there to drive consistent growth?

Now that may seem slightly off tangent but I feel there are some similarities with Bendigo...

I'm not disagreeing with the merits of the previously stated research but I'm challenging the notion that Bendigo will continue to out perform. I'd put a wager down that it'll stay flat for quite some time before growing again, but that's just my opinion.

Hi everyone,
I've got a couple of properties in Melbourne with my fiancé and we're looking for more like minded people to network with and hang out with on a regular basis as none of our friends share our passion for property!
It looks like I've come to the right place, is there a list or something we can get on to come to the types of events listed in these threads? We'd love to come along and meet you all to share stories and tips.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Jake what is the data source for your numbers please? They seem quite off the beaten track - i.e. they dont gel with what I have seen/am seeing.

Just as an FYI the yields are materially more than 5%, growth last year was 6% across Greater Bendigo with Golden Square, Kangaroo Flat and Bendigo itself being in the top 20 postcodes for RPData in 2011 with over 11% CG.

Also, comparing a city with over 100,000 people, a big financial services and health services industry to a town with 1/10th of the population is a bit rough...

Hi everyone,
I've got a couple of properties in Melbourne with my fiancé and we're looking for more like minded people to network with and hang out with on a regular basis as none of our friends share our passion for property!
It looks like I've come to the right place, is there a list or something we can get on to come to the types of events listed in these threads? We'd love to come along and meet you all to share stories and tips.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Welcome Cloudy:
Please refer
http://somersoft.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

We aim to meet on the last Tuesday of every month (i.e. next meet 28th August).

I'll put a notice up about a week before.

The Y-man

Hi Belu,

Source of info is Residex. Not surprised that once again Residex / RP Data / APM results differ.

And yeah I agree with you in that Lithgow is muchhhhhhh smaller than Bendigo and probably not comparable. I was only drawing a parallel to the fact that a hospital development may not see prices rise so if anything just be careful of speculation and rely on historic growth patterns more so :)

I too am in Melbourne and very keen to spend time networking with like minded property investors - especially where there isn't some shonky seminar or "educational course" involved. Is anything upcoming planned?

Back