Melbourne tops the nation for the steepest rise in rents

From The Age :

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...e-top-of-nation/2008/05/16/1210765176395.html

"MELBOURNE has topped the nation for the steepest rise in rents for houses and units over the past year. It underlines the city's rental crisis, placing further pressure on governments to increase the supply. And the situation could get worse. About 1500 people a week are expected to move to Melbourne, with experts predicting the population will hit 6.2 million by 2020 — a decade earlier than forecast a few years ago.

The poor investment climate is also reducing the availability of new homes as investors seek higher returns elsewhere.

Research by Residex shows that for the year to April the median weekly rent for a house in Melbourne increased by 22.95% to $375, eclipsing all other capital cities. Sydney recorded a 19.05% rise in rents.

Rent for a typical house in Perth lifted 18.64%, and in Brisbane the increase was 6.25%.

It was the same story for units. Melbourne posted the biggest gain for the period, with the median rent racing 18.52% higher to $320. In Sydney the weekly rent for a unit rose 9.46% to $405.

John Lindeman, chief property analyst at Residex, said Melbourne's population was growing at a faster rate than the national average, with those locked out of the housing market forced to rent, driving up prices. "And it could get worse for that reason," Mr Lindeman said. "Combine that with new arrivals into the city, and I think that will drive up rents..........."

Better than good ...

22% year to date to April .... where I come from that's quite a bit better than good .

...and everything I read says it's going to continue ....

Gotta love "the market":).

LL

22% year to date to April .... where I come from that's quite a bit better than good .

...and everything I read says it's going to continue ....

Gotta love "the market":).

LL

As the rental yields keep on marching up, the investors that can manage their cash flow currently will see a lot of upside as it becomes easier to hold the portfolio with improving CF in the coming months and years.

Short term improvement in capital then takes a back seat as the shortage of investors coupled with increased demand keep pushing the rents higher and make it easier for current investors to add more prop to their portfolio, once the subprime mess clears up and the cycle starts again.

Harris

Research by Residex shows that for the year to April the median weekly rent for a house in Melbourne increased by 22.95% to $375, eclipsing all other capital cities. Sydney recorded a 19.05% rise in rents.

Rent for a typical house in Perth lifted 18.64%, and in Brisbane the increase was 6.25%.

It was the same story for units. Melbourne posted the biggest gain for the period, with the median rent racing 18.52% higher to $320. In Sydney the weekly rent for a unit rose 9.46% to $405.

I'm very curious why residex publishes figures like these when the ABS rent price index (in the CPI) is not even CLOSE to these figures. Somebody has a very bad methodology at best, lying at worst.

There are many property investors here. Tell me is these percentages are close to what you got on your place? Is there anybody from Sydney for example that can tell me they got a 19.05% rent price increase??

I'm very curious why residex publishes figures like these when the ABS rent price index (in the CPI) is not even CLOSE to these figures. Somebody has a very bad methodology at best, lying at worst.

There are many property investors here. Tell me is these percentages are close to what you got on your place? Is there anybody from Sydney for example that can tell me they got a 19.05% rent price increase??

I did get close to 20% on a few IP's in the last 12 months. Rents for Melb properties went up by 17%. Least increase in % term for an IP over the last 12 months was 10% for a prop in Cairns.

Harris

Somebody has a very bad methodology at best, lying at worst.

I agree yieldmatters. What is the saying?.. "there's lies and then there's statistics" ..... I also note different medians being reported for the same suburbs in different publications. I often wonder if they actually know/use the correct method for arriving at the median figure.

There are many property investors here. Tell me is these percentages are close to what you got on your place?

No. Our recent Melbourne reviews are about 10-12% ...but once again, when they quote "year to date" is it calendar year or financial year?

LL

Back