Mentor for property investing

Hi forumites,

I am still new to the property investing game and I am keen to find a mentor. Can someone shed some light? Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Catherine :)

Hi Catherine,

You probably need more than 1 mentor IMO. To do property investing "properly" (i.e. in a big way) then you are going to need a 'team' of mentors for:

1. Mindset (and overcoming self-doubts, hangups about large debts etc)
2. Property selection & purchase (agent/s, both selling & buyers)
3. Finance (including strategy)
4. Legal (structures)
5. Accounting (tax & succession planning)

Many of these are offered in a "one-stop-shop" but you need to be extra careful going down this path as there is potential for conflict of interest and other stuff to be avoided.

Mentors can also be found in books written on the subject, seminars etc.

There are also meetings with like-minded individuals that you can attend to get ideas and form friendships with.

There is the old saying: "when the student is ready, the teacher appears" and I've also found this to be true for me :)

Hi forumites,

I am still new to the property investing game and I am keen to find a mentor. Can someone shed some light? Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Depending on your own skills and what you are unsure about then the mentor is in the search tab in this site,anyone that holds your hand will
also want something in return,why pay 5k and above to listen to others people ideas,the only person that can make it happen is you..willair..

Thanks for your thoughts, Propertunity and Willair.

I have bought a first IP last year. It is great to share and discuss thoughts with people who have more experience, just to know if I am on the right track.

Catherine

i had recently attended a workshop by Positive real estate and they talked about providing 'mentorship' for a fee.
Not sure how truthful they would be in their guidance though....maybe someone in this forum have had some experience with them.

g'luck
k

Pos real estate seemed good

I did wonder if they'd make much time though as they seemed very busy
and they had mentioned a goal if retiring in future I think it aSton build schools but can't remember .

I've seem others offer mentirship including steve mcknight and the lady who wrote a book about 47 mistakes to avoid when buying property .

I've been listening again to basic CDs that have alot if info though can't find all the books i bought a few yrs ago.

I think a mentor would b great to get confidence in the beginning if u want to spend some 6 or 7 thousand .

Good luck .

I think a mentor is a good idea, there should be more people offerng this service as there would be a big market for it.

I had decided to go to a seminar earlier this year but I was disapointed after researching them that their goal would be to sign me up with one of their expensive programs.

It would be good to find some local community groups etc in this area.

There are a number of websites offering free CD's that can help. I also get them out of magazines sometimes.

propertunity can you pls tell me more about your property mentors for he various areas you mention
as i loved your post and found it very helpful
thanks

I think a mentor is a good idea, there should be more people offerng this service as there would be a big market for it.

I had decided to go to a seminar earlier this year but I was disappointed after researching them that their goal would be to sign me up with one of their expensive programs.

It would be good to find some local community groups etc in this area.

There are a number of websites offering free CD's that can help. I also get them out of magazines sometimes.

When you mention mentor I immediately think of the likes of Positive Real estate who want your $9000.
I think what you really want is a group of like minded investors (like Somersoft) that you can toss around ideas, chat about property etc. There are meetings organised which are great but not to frequent. There are other groups in Sydney that meet regularly that do not require thousands of dollars or signing up for anything.
Networking is the key when you are starting out (and after that).:D

Hi forumites,

Thanks!

Look under meeting point and watch for SIG meeting. That is the Sydney Investor Group meeting and then attend.

Cost:$0
Who is there: Us
Ask questions: welcome.

Anyone who takes money for mentorship is dodgy because if they are that good they don't need it.

Some free advice: what is your strategy plan?

Get rich is the wrong answer - too general.

Buy a PPOR, or an IP or save a deposit etc. is the idea.

FYI Peter 14.7

Pos real estate u pay once and it's for a lifetime

Helen colliers has a system of mixing pos and neg properties .

Steve mc knight has achived phenomenal things and has many methods to achieve goals .

Good luck with your choice

Hi forumites,

Thanks!

This site is the best Mentor you can have.

Except for whatever I say. :eek:

But seriously, if every newbie started here and did nothing else in terms of spending money on getting educated (except for the series of investing books we all recommend) they would all do very well.

It's a pity the Trolls don't realise this.

Back