metropole who has used them or knows about using them.

I would love to build units in my back garden but lack expereince. i think of possibly using metropole to do all the hard work but also ofcourse that will add to the price but at least it may be more than jsut a pipe dream it may actually happen.

has anyone used them and can tell me about their expereince good or bad

thanks

Francine.

There are threads around if you search. Seems to be some good feedback and some negative. I think what I took from reading all the threads is that things can and do go "wrong" sometimes. Costs blow out and projections can be wrong. This can happen whether you manage a project yourself or get an outside company to do the work.

Hi Francine,

Building a house in your backyard is about the simplest development you can do. Some questions.

Do you have time to manage the project yourself?
Are you aware of the local Development Control Plan & Local Environment Plan?
If so, does your block comply with the guidelines for Dual Occupancy?
Do you know anyone else who has successfully carried out a similar development in your area?

I am sure Metropole can manage the project successfully but you will pay for it. Have you been given a quote on their fees?

If the building is happening in your back yard then you will find that you will be very involved in the process regardless of who is managing the project.

I was scared to undertake my first development but it was such a rewarding experience and I gained so much knowledge from the excercise. Saying this, it is difficult for those who need to focus on full time work and family committments.

Regards, Ian :)

I put a call into them 10 days ago and spoke to a guy who took my details
etc. We spoke for about 5-10 mins on the phone whilst he sold his services.

I was told the partner was to call me back the next day......still waiting and so have decided to go elsewhere.

Just my experience

Cheers

metropole

wow thank you all for that info.

ian yes 2 houses down built a big brick unit in the back and ended up selling it.

thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated

Francine

I would love to build units in my back garden but lack expereince. i think of possibly using metropole to do all the hard work but also ofcourse that will add to the price but at least it may be more than jsut a pipe dream it may actually happen.

has anyone used them and can tell me about their expereince good or bad

thanks

Francine.
Francine,nothing is free in the real world,just a few questions?,is the property already split,and on a separate property title,if so then that is one of the big upfront problems out of the way,after a talk to the local council-town planner,they will let you know what can be built,the rest is up to you,have some rough take off drawings done,then find several builders to quote too lock up stage,try and screw everybody down in price on all trades,or you could just have all the drawings wack a simple add in your local paper -under the tender and quotes section and manage everything yourself-just subby al the trades out from the slab-frame-elec's,plumbing,too the lock up stage,but first of all educate yourself in building and learn to walk the talk,otherwise every one will take you for a ride,and last add 20% on the total finished price most times you need that back-up in place not if -but when the problems start as from my experience they always happen..good luck willair..IMHO..
btw I know nothing about the company you mentioned so i can't help you there, but i watched the main man speak a while back..

Hi Francine,

Further to my post the other day, Michael Yardley sent me a private message wanting to know the circumstances of not getting back to me.

To his credit he offered to deal direct with me and apologised. I have not taken him up on his offer as I am busy with other things.

Just thought I would let you know.

Cheers:)

Hi Francine,

Just a further comment that I should make. It was Michael Yardneys' book that provided much of the inspiration that helped me get started in small development. :)
When I said "it will cost you" to use Metropole, I don't necessarily mean that it will cost you too much!

Hi Francine,

A couple of comments...

Firstly, I have the utmost respect for Michael Yardney and Metropole in general. He runs an excellent business, is a solid contributor on Somersoft, and seems to be a solid performer in property in general.

But, I'm not sure Metropole extend their services to include NSW at present. Last time I spoke to Michael he said they were in Melbourne and extending into Brisbane. I don't think they have a Sydney office and I think you're in NSW.

Despite that, I would also suggest that their service would not be aligned necessarily with your needs. I agree with others that you might be better served doing the development yourself. The tricky bit will be getting the DA, but if you're confident you can achieve that then you'll just need to tender and engage a good builder on a fixed price quote. Specify all your prime costs clearly so there is no ambiguity around fit-out.

If you're concerned about the tender/build process then another company that I have been considering for this service is The Site Foreman. Maybe look into them as well and see if they fit the bill. I can't vouch for them as I haven't used their services myself but they do seem like a really good outfit based on the calls I've had with them. They know their stuff and run a tight shop. They also have in-house draftsmen/architects? and can assist with all drawings and approvals at a very reasonable cost.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Francine,

A couple of comments...

Firstly, I have the utmost respect for Michael Yardney and Metropole in general. He runs an excellent business, is a solid contributor on Somersoft, and seems to be a solid performer in property in general.

But, I'm not sure Metropole extend their services to include NSW at present. Last time I spoke to Michael he said they were in Melbourne and extending into Brisbane. I don't think they have a Sydney office and I think you're in NSW.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael

Thanks for the kind words.:D

By the way we did open our Sydney office in January this year and now have a team of 4 property investment strategists there.

We are actively providing strategy, research and property aquisition services for Sydney clients.

We are not running our project management and development serivces in Sydney yet. Only Melbourne and Brisbane.

Back