Minimum Block Size to subdivide (VIC)

Hey there forumites,
in Perth we have R codes that state the minimun size of land for subdivision...
simplified way is 10000 divided by the r code value, say r20 will equal 500sqm required for block. this is very simplified and not exact as there are a heap of other factors involved. my question is, in Vic, do they have these codes or is there another system used. does any one have info on this or any good links to sites where they explain the ins and outs? Also interested in QLD too so any help there would be good also!!
Cheers:)
Boods

Last edited:
I'll just add, the reason I want to know this info is because im looking at properties in Frankston and have noticed some of the properties are listed as being subdividable around (650sqm)subject to council approval...its not an absolute pre requisite, however it would be nice to know the actual figures if im trying to decide between two houses...

600m2???

Hi boods99,

I was told by an agent 600m2 is the minimum size. Not realy sure the details.

Hope someone here can help you out.

Good night.

Aulyna

Hi boods99,

I was told by an agent 600m2 is the minimum size. Not realy sure the details.

Hope someone here can help you out.

Good night.

Aulyna

I don't think there is a minimum lot size when it comes to sub-division in Victoria. It varies from council to council and I believe most (or all) councils follow the ResCode guidelines. I would start by speaking to your council. But I think a lot of it will come down to the design of the building.

Ozi

I don't think there is a minimum lot size when it comes to sub-division in Victoria. It varies from council to council and I believe most (or all) councils follow the ResCode guidelines. I would start by speaking to your council. But I think a lot of it will come down to the design of the building.

I have found the same information. The council is more worried about streetscape, Over-shadowing, Traffic Management issues relating to the development than minimum land size. They do however like am minimum garden of 30m2 per unit / townhouse.

Hope this helps

Adam

It varies from Council to Council. Typically 600m2 is fairly safe in most councils i have looked at to dual occ, but you can go smaller but the regs tend to get much tougher, set backs etc get tighter.

Be careful of easements etc though as they can present problems.

Brisbane seems to be limiting the cutting up of blocks. Entire suburbs were being ruined by trendy little Tuscan McMansions (i.e, huge houses on little blocks) with no eaves or shade being plonked into streets with traditional timber and tin Queenslanders.

The minimum used to be 800sqm that could be cut into 2 x 400 sqm blocks, but there are more restrictions on setbacks and side allowances now for the smaller blocks. I think the new minimum is now 450 sqm, but could be wrong.

Check with the local council.
Marg

Back