mission beach

looking for some one on the ground that lives in the area
I know where it is and who moves there and why question is if someone lives there and can give me market movements

A close family member owns properties there so I watch the market a little. It looks like prices for good properties are holding their own but others are dropping.

I don’t see why there would be decent increases again for a few years but then Woolworths opened a very large store there 2 years ago so they must expect the area to grow.

When we were there last year there seemed to be a surplus of newly built houses for such a remote area and a quick search today shows a huge number of blocks advertised. They have put a stop to development of rainforest areas so what is available now is it for the next few years.

I personally would only be looking for the property with the difference in the right area and avoid the run of the mill new ¾ bedroom house. I saw a couple of properties advertised that had promise if I had the funds to consider them.

Rents are low and maintenance is very expensive. It’s a great place to live though, just one long tropical holiday, great restaurants/cafes, very relaxed.

Roughly half way between Cairns and Townsville, just north of Tully. Did some work up there a couple of years ago. Apparently Tully has the highest rainfall PA in the whole of the country!! :eek:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=e...CFxZTLHeGozZcfyv_cgI&ved=0CCQQ8gEwAA&t=h&z=13

We just got back from Cairns - supposed to stay for 11 nights, but pulled the pin 2 days early due to the rain, and the continuing forecast for the week.

MAN, did it rain - 100mm in 24 hours on Sunday.

That whole region - once it decides to rain, it bloodywell does!!

At least it was warm.

Heavy rain is more like 300mm in a day, as can happen for a few days in a row when a cyclone is around. A few years ago, Townsville had 540mm in a day. I think the 'world record' rainfall for 24 hours is about 1.9 metres!

hi
do you have people on the ground in mission beach.
and if they can give me some ground feedback
thanks

You may already know more than some locals GR :D

Not funny, I only spent a week in a place and when talking to a workmate who used to live there for years, he reckons i knew more about the place and had gone to more local areas of interest than he ever had

hi for those that don't know
mission beach is the closest point to dunk island
which is at the start of the great barrier reef.
most of these places have there issues
one being the gfc
but they are also the last places to move and when they move they tend to bound
mission, airlie and places like this are a problem for local funders but they still can have very good value if you look at them as a smsf point of view
as these are long holds
so you can wait for the bound
I do like to work with a external local if possible but if not thats fine
and yes I do know alot about both areas
these areas from a smsf point of view are prime areas
they have steady growth and places you would like to hold a property in your portfolio
the other part about the area is that there is very limited development allowed so as the current sites get soaked up the demand will grow from my view anyway
yes you have alot of rain
but then this type of vegitation goes not grow in a desert
and the place is a place people like because of the greenery
you need to see where people will look to demand when that demands comes and these types of areas may well not be in demand right know because of the flow of finance but that will change
and these are the types of places people then look to retire of fund into
for me I put smsf in at the start and then hold and use the smsf to hold for long term
and if you get 3% in amp say its better to have a 300 per week rented unit in a place like mssion and just leave it there
you could say there are lots of places to invest the same
this is true but these units are all smsf's so they are all long haul long stay developments
and they have the benefit of being in an area that most would like to retire to or at least stay a few months of the year
and after all thats what a smsf is for.

Back