Moderators ammending threads

Asy why ammend threads to suit yourself and then lock them. This defeats the purpose of an open public forum.

If ideas and opinions dont agree with yours or you feel the heat clarify your statements it is no reason to lock and then adjust the thread as you did in to "Agents should get real post".

You have deleted many peoples views on agents in this post which carry merit and were backed up with examples. To keep the post open could off had the effect of showing good agents and reversing the stigma.

Please dont treat the forum as a dictatorship that isnt its purpose.

Hi ted

When a thread is chopped or trashed its not done lightly, its primarily for the long term survival and never for self interest. The moderator group hold each other accountable for that.

ta
rolf

It is rather presumptuous of you to suggest that it was asy who closed the thread.

Asy has never edited posts or closed a thread in which she was involved - if there is ever any question, the matter gets discussed amongst the moderators.

In this case, it was I who made the decision that the thread was just re-hashing old topics which (in my very extensive experience) don't ever achieve anything and just become flame wars. Asy was not involved in the decision, and neither did she ask for the thread to be edited or closed - it was my decision.

Please dont treat the forum as a dictatorship that isnt its purpose.

... and neither is the forum a trolling ground. So don't troll.

I edited that thread in question because it lost it's way. The original topic for discussion was not about how evil agents are - but how some agents have missed the fact that the market has changed quite rapidly and they are not keeping up.

Our policy here is, as much as possible, to maintain a hands-off approach to moderation. However, there are some occasions when we need to keep threads on track - especially on some key subjects which have a tendency to get off-topic and thus lose the meaning of the original question or comments.

Sim said:
It is rather presumptuous of you to suggest that it was asy who closed the thread.

Asy has never edited posts or closed a thread in which she was involved - if there is ever any question, the matter gets discussed amongst the moderators.

In this case, it was I who made the decision that the thread was just re-hashing old topics which (in my very extensive experience) don't ever achieve anything and just become flame wars. Asy was not involved in the decision, and neither did she ask for the thread to be edited or closed - it was my decision.

... and neither is the forum a trolling ground. So don't troll.

I edited that thread in question because it lost it's way. The original topic for discussion was not about how evil agents are - but how some agents have missed the fact that the market has changed quite rapidly and they are not keeping up.

Our policy here is, as much as possible, to maintain a hands-off approach to moderation. However, there are some occasions when we need to keep threads on track - especially on some key subjects which have a tendency to get off-topic and thus lose the meaning of the original question or comments.

So isnt it presemptuous to call me a forum troll now.

Dictatorship... well you have a business relationship around the same RE office and you have jumped on the thread in Asy's defence which is so hypocrytical.

So if I start i thread with topic "evil agents" and it stays on topic you should have no reason to close it or ammend it to your own agenda?

It is presumptous to make assertions without facts. This was my point.

I have business dealings with quite a few people who post on this forum. My business dealing have absolutely nothing to do with what I do here and are not up for discussion. End of topic.

"Agent bashing" as we call it is one form of negativity which we, the moderators (not me alone), have agreed deserves harsh treatment.

We deal with real estate agents in every day in our investing lives. Spending our time complaining about how evil they are is non-productive, negative, inflamatory, bordering on defamatory at times, and almost always (in my experience) leads to flame wars that prove and achieve nothing.

If you have such a problem with agents, how about providing some useful, positive, or constructive suggestions on how to manage your relationship with them - how to get the most out of negotiating with an agent, how to avoid problems at auctions, how to list your property and choose a good agent, etc etc.

This forum is for learning, it is not for whinging or taking pot-shots at people or their professions.

Sim said:
If you have such a problem with agents, how about providing some useful, positive, or constructive suggestions on how to manage your relationship with them - how to get the most out of negotiating with an agent, how to avoid problems at auctions, how to list your property and choose a good agent, etc etc.

This forum is for learning, it is not for whinging or taking pot-shots at people or their professions.

Well to provide constructive positive suggestions on dealing with RE issues thier first must be an identified problem...............which i have identified.

I agree the forum is for learning but learning from other peoples negative experiences is the best learning tool there is. To post only positive without showing the reason it is derived from a negative experience is pointless if the (negative experience is deleted).

And to bring up a bad agent experience isnt agent bashing.. especially if its factual information and not a generalised rant.

Doing a good job admins :)

Being an admin is a tough job, and they are critical for maintaining the integrity of an online community.

My experience of online communities is that they live or die by the fairness of their moderation. A small number of trolls can do a lot of damage. I visit the BB of a certain national games organization now and then, but the experience is so much poorer for the presence of one or two trolls who post a lot of useless posts and live to draw other members into flame wars. Because these trolls are not banned or kept in check the forum loses members like myself who are exactly the sort of person they are trying to attract/keep!

One thing I have learnt in the last 9 years of online communication, is to be very slow to take offense. A great majority of communication is non-verbal, which makes it simple to misinterpret the meaning of someones language online. The smiley's just dont cut it unfortunately :( in communicating all the non-verbal communication you lose by using text only.

One interesting observation about the major troll on the other BB I am referring to is that in real life he is apparently really sensible and intelligent! It's just that he turns into a fool when he is online.

superted said:
I agree the forum is for learning but learning from other peoples negative experiences is the best learning tool there is
I learn more from positive experiences.

Or how people have resolved issues.

Simply posting negative experiences and saying, there it is - isn't very constructive at all.

So Superted - what positive experiences in property investing have you had?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
I learn more from positive experiences.

Or how people have resolved issues.

Simply posting negative experiences and saying, there it is - isn't very constructive at all.

So Superted - what positive experiences in property investing have you had?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Yuo should probably read the whole post Acey... Negative experiences show people pitfalls that others have made along their journeys.

Backing the negative up with a positive direction is best.

Last edited:
Try going about it in a non-inflamatory way then, I'll be happy. Jax's original post was a bit anti-agent, but it was written in a way which was informative and useful.

In general, the biggest cause of posts being deleted, is the tone of the post, much more than the content.

Hi Superted

I can appreciate that you must be feeling a little rebuffed as some of the recent posts that you have made have been effected by moderator input.

Thank-you to Sim/Rolf for clarifying the moderator position in respect of these decisions.

I would however like to add that personally I feel more comfortable that this forum is moderated to such a high standard with rules of conduct appropriately in place and action taken when these rules of conduct are broken (intentionally or otherwise).

Without these guidelines and moderation, the forum could become like other forums out there, a haven for those peddalling there wares, or there own self interest or flaming situations of personal conflict. It would be unsafe for newbies and certaintly confusing to read the good from the bad.

The Somersoft forum is the best out there, with many of the top 20 contributors honerably and respectably offering advice and lessons learnt from there many combined years of experience in the investing arena, and I feel very much privaleged to be part of the forum to learn from these people. Opinions should be made that reflect both sides of various issues, but not in the context of negativity nor defamatory ways.

Superted, you have only started posting, with time and posts generated and contributed on a timely basis, you will harvest your "internet" reputation and hopefully then you will feel that your comments and opinions are noticed and respected.

Kind regards

Corsa

Sim said:
Try going about it in a non-inflamatory way then, I'll be happy. Jax's original post was anti-agent, but it was written in a way which was informative and useful.

In general, the biggest cause of posts being deleted, is the tone of the post, much more than the content.

Fair enough.... but how do you bring up a bad agent experience without you veiwing it as agent bashing especially if it doesnt mention the agents name and isnt deflamatory to begin with but is an actual life experience and a helpdfull eye opener for new investors..

Sim said:

Sim, I generally agree..

But lets not forget that we are all Property Investors and as Property Investors an enormous part of our profession is dealing with Agents. When we sell, when we buy, when we have our properties managed.

So its inevitable that issues that may exist within these professions are going to get vigorously discussed on the forum and those Agents that participate are going to need a thick skin. This isn't the case at the moment as evidenced by Asy's "crawl under the rock" style comment.

To then have the 'offending' thread selectively trimmed and modified rather than simply 'locked' has only further inflamed those members who perhaps feel we're becoming a little precious about discussing Agents on the forum.

Cheers, Duncan.

Turning a -ve into a positive

Good Point Acey,

I am trying to do that with my investments :)

It's natural though that RE agents really get the spotlight focused on them at Somersoft seeing as this is a forum dealing with RE investment mainly. Blanket sweeping statements that are so negative about RE agents seem to be very pointless however, why not suggest/ask for some solutions to any perceived problem.

Here's my 15c worth (2c CPI adjusted from 1972 until present day) about RE agents on the Gold Coast.

I have found it much easier to find a good RE agent than I have a good car mechanic (still looking for one). Now how's that for a sweeping statement?

WaySolid

:cool:

For the record, asy did message me yesterday and ask me to have a look at her post wondering if it was overstepping the mark. I was too busy at the time to look at it in detail and give it the consideration it deserved.

In retrospect and after reading all of the responses that were generated, I should have acted at the time and requested that her response be toned down a bit or removed. It is because of the way the thread was heading that prompted me to find the last useful and on-topic post and cut it off there, including asy's post.

The moderators regularly use each other as sounding boards to determine whether the responses we are giving or the actions we are taking are appropriate, we have our own accountability mechanism, as Rolf described earlier.

Also, for the record, posts are (almost) never deleted, they are "trashed" or "removed from circulation" - sometimes this is for discussion amongst the moderators. We usually have the option to re-instate posts if we change our minds. This is another accountability mechanism we have been using with much success for quite some time now.

Damn, this is a big issue.

I know I posted but I cant even remember what it was... I must of selectively filed it to trash anyway.

I think that given we can discuss why the thread was truncated shows it's not a dictatorship. Dictators wouldn't bother explaining.

I think the moderators around here do a good job of balancing when to step in.

I haven't seen what was truncated, so can't comment on that, but since I've not seen too many threads played with (other than the odd post, or warnings issued), I'll assume they had a good enough reason....

To show openess - is there a point in reinstating but locking the thread? I don't know - I haven't seen it - it may just fuel the fire..... I'm sure the moderators will make the correct decision there.

I agree with what others have said. By all means ask how to deal with a situation about an agent, or relate about a situation and how you resolved it. Either of these will produce a positive result. A post just bagging agents (or anyone for that matter) usually produces a bad result.....

It's as I keep telling my boys, "More often than it's not what you said, so much as the way you said it. You can still make your point, but without the nasty stuff" (They're still young).

Cheerio to all.

Simon.

Sim said:
Also, for the record, posts are (almost) never deleted, they are "trashed" or "removed from circulation" - sometimes this is for discussion amongst the moderators. We usually have the option to re-instate posts if we change our minds. This is another accountability mechanism we have been using with much success for quite some time now.

Perhaps you could reinstate this post as i believe there was some good information in it which would help out other members of the forum?

Any reason why it couldn't be left intact but locked?

Perhaps you could file these posts into a seperate category of their own?

duncan_m said:
So its inevitable that issues that may exist within these professions are going to get vigorously discussed on the forum and those Agents that participate are going to need a thick skin. This isn't the case at the moment as evidenced by Asy's "crawl under the rock" style comment.
To then have the 'offending' thread selectively trimmed and modified rather than simply 'locked' has only further inflamed those members who perhaps feel we're becoming a little precious about discussing Agents on the forum.

I totally concur with Duncan's comments. Perhaps the post was chopped because Asy felt quite embarrassed about her impulsive comments and this was the easiest solution?

To be perfectly honest stanley, I really don't care.

I am a very busy person - I run this forum in my spare time (what little I have of it) because I love doing so, not because I get paid to do it or anything like that.

I indulged this thread because I felt enough time had passed since the last time we had this topic in the Help and Feedback forum and it was worth spelling it out again (believe me, the moderation topic has come up several times before with exactly the same content, and exactly the same complaints).

At the end of the day, we have to make decisions about what stays and what goes. In the nearly 2 years I've been administering the forum and 4 years I've been contributing, I've come to a good understanding of what works and what doesn't, and so have the other moderators, some of whom have been here longer than I have (Les was one of the original forum members - here from almost day 1).

We have chosen to run this forum with a more hands-on approach than most internet discussion forums are, and we get much praise and a bit of criticism about it as a result.

At times I have spent literally hours agonising over how to split a thread to the best benefit to extract the useful information while dealing with the trolls or the inflamatory posts and such. I take great pride in what I do, but I do have to draw a line somewhere.

The measuring stick I tend to use is to simply look at the very first post in the thread. This is the most important part of the thread - and sets the topic and the tone. All responses should, as much as possible, be responses to that topic. Some deviation is allowed and expected, but significant deviation from that topic, or a degradation in the tone of the posts will require action.

Significant deviation where we just got onto another topic can be dealt with by splitting the thread in two so they can both have their own "life". Degradation of the thread requires that selective posts be deleted, or entire segments of the thread be "pruned".

In this case, it was an old subject, with rapidly degrading tone, which rings all the alarm bells. Sure, I could have tried to extract the more useful posts there, but when I looked back at what started it all (superted's original post and asy's overzealous reponse), I realised it was just going to be easier to mass prune. It's either that or spend an hour or so carefully considering each post and perhaps even editing posts to remove references to deleted posts for the sake of continuity.

I have done this more time-intensive form of moderation before, and would do so again if I felt it deserved it, but there are some topics which are "red flag" topics, and we take a less lenient approach with.

For the record, some topics which generally receive harsh treatment from moderators are Jenman, Henry Kaye, "Agent Bashing", Spam, and non-compliant advertising. This is not a definitve list, just the topics which are forefront of my mind at the moment. There are differing reasons for the treatment of these topics, and they are not all considered in the same light. Just for example, we are forbidden from saying certain things about Jenman because his lawyers told us so. Understand ?

I'm not going to invest any more time in trying to justify my actions or the actions of the other moderators. We act because we think that is the right thing to do. We discuss it between ourselves, and we have a mechanism in place to reverse decisions that were made if necessary.

Regardless or whether we act, or don't act, we will always have some people who are upset by it. We cannot please everyone and so we don't try. It is mostly a case of looking after the "greater good" in preference to the feelings of a few. Again, if you don't like that, I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

If you simply can't cope with the way we moderate this forum, I suggest you go find one of the many other forums out there which are much less hands-on in their moderation, we really don't mind, and we wish you well in your investing.

I hope I make myself clear here.

It comes down to, you start paying me money, I'll start spending hours carefully editing troublesome threads.

If you pay me enough money, I'll even run your own forum for you where you can set the rules completely.

That all being said, we do appreciate your feedback and we do take it on board.

Perhaps the post was chopped because Asy felt quite embarrassed about her impulsive comments and this was the easiest solution?

Once again, for the record (I thought I've already played this record)... asy asked me to look at her response immediately after she posted it, I did, and didn't take any action. She did not ask me to do anything with it after that point, I discussed with other moderators and made a decision to act. And yes, I took the easiest solution, as I mentioned earlier. I make no apologies for that.

Back