A little rant about agents

Hi there, I had a thread a while ago asking some basic questions about the buying process, had some good info from the forum, as well as learnt alot over the last few months. I thought I would point out a few things I have personally found during this house buying process.

Real estate agents are special. From the withholding of plans and permits, private bidding wars and all the games that go with it, non returned phone calls, missed appointments, bare faced lies and general surly demeanor, never have I had to deal with people like this in my day to day life.
Reminds me of Lionel Hutz from the simpsons explaining to Marge- the right house is the house for sale and the right buyer is anyone.
There's the truth :( and the truth :) The worst thing is there is still plenty more times I will need to, as I haven't found the house yet.

The 1st time I made a written offer was in the office of a REA, property was asking 350. After much research I valued it at 365-370, So I made an offer for 350 and said this is my one and only offer im not here to play the game. The offer expired before they called back with a counter, it was a good thing I had a sounds of the ocean cd on as I explained to the REA that one and only offer means just that, I offered what they asked, was open to their settlement preference and deposit, what more do you want? And maybe next time to call potential buyers back before the deadline expires.

'How much do you have to spend?' At the start of my endeavors I was polite and skirted around this most innocent question, giving no real answer. Now I use a trick I read about on the forum- stare blankly. Works a treat and makes you look like a psychopath at the same time.

I've been to open houses where the house is basicly a knock down job, to be told its nothing a coat of paint and a new kitchen wont fix. They usually pipe down after I let on I'm a plumber and deal with reno's (and am privy to the costs involved) on a weekly basis.
Council permits mysteriously go missing, sec32's that arent worth the paper theyre printed on.

Had an agent try to take my pen off me while filling out a contract of sale as 'you dont need a B+P im telling you its all good so its all good'

Had an agent nicely fill out MY contract of sale offer to his client, and get his knickers in a knot when I wanted to change nearly everything he had written.

I've been told I couldnt put '10% deposit paid on vendors signiture'
even after I spent an hour in the solicitors office discussing my rights and obligations in making offers, and contracts in general.

Laughed at by an agent for specifying 'fixtures and fittings to be included, and for the house to be clean with no rubbish on site at settlement'

The marketing terms: gently sloping, cosy, quaint, short stroll to...
If its on a hill just say so. if its on a 250m2 block just say so. Getting me 'in the door' under false pretences wont get me to look at your other properties.

Auctions are a joke, with the 'terms of sale' supposedly being something legally binding. Last time I checked I'm honor bound untill I sign. I've seen someone win the auction only to have another bidder yell out '+20k!' and get ushered inside quick smart.

As you can tell I'm more than a little disenchanted with the whole process of buying a PPoR. I've learnt now to hope for the bare minimum of professionalism, and expect less. It still dosent make up for the countless hours arranging inspections, emailing solicitors and banks, compiling sales data and DD, and driving to and from houses, but I've come to terms that as a 1st home buyer at the entry level (-420k) I'm just not worth the time a highly skilled job such as a REA demands.

There are decent agents out there, just not many in my market in my area in Vic.
I'm feeling better now I've had my whinge, feel free to post humerous anecdotes relating to the above.

Or pictures of cats with funny captions

Buying properties never go smoothly..at least for us.

As Aaron_C says..if it was easy, everyone would be rich.

The worst part of buying for me, is the jumping thru hoops for the lender.
Might be different here in Australia.
We tend to deal with one REA and have her show us any property we are interested in.

Persevere. Some REA's can be jerks while others are decent people....like most professions I guess.

What's important is that you go into negotiations knowing what you want and how much you are willing to pay. As smug and annoying as some REA's can be, I believe it's important to try and build some rapport with them. Others might disagree but this has been my experience.

Cheers

Jamie

funny-pictures-australian-cat-reads-american-captions.jpg

funny-pictures-ceiling-cat-rests.jpg

funny-pictures-kitten-needs-only-his-bear.jpg

funny-pictures-stackable-cats-conserve-space.jpg

Househunt kitteh said

Lil while ago josh33 sed long post ov hooman werdz, i say joshs werdz in kitteh
oh hai thar, i had thread while ago askin sum basic queshuns bout teh buyin proces, had sum gud info frum teh forum, as well as lernt alot ovar teh last few months. I thot i wud point out few things i has personally findz durin dis houz buyin proces.

Real estate agents r speshul. Frum teh withholdin ov planz an permits, private biddin wars an all teh gamez dat go wif it, non returnd fone calls, misd appointments, bare facd liez an general surly demeanor, nevr has i had 2 deal wif peeps liek dis in mah dai 2 dai life.
Remindz me ov lionel hutz frum teh simpsons explainin 2 marge- teh rite houz iz teh houz 4 sale an teh rite buyr iz anyone.
Thars teh truth an teh truth teh wurst ting iz thar iz still plenty moar tiems im gonna ned 2, as i havent findz teh houz yet.

Teh 1st tiem i made written offr wuz in da office ov rea, property wuz askin 350. Aftr mutch research i valud it at 365-370, so i made an offr 4 350 an sed dis ar teh mah wan an only offr im not her 2 pulay teh game. Teh offr expird before they calld bak wif countr, it wuz gud ting i had soundz ov teh ocean cd on as i explaind 2 teh rea dat wan an only offr meanz jus dat, i offerd wut they askd, wuz open 2 their settlement preference an deposit, wut moar do u wants? An maybe next tiem 2 call potential buyers bak before teh deadline expirez.

How mutch do u has 2 spend? At teh start ov mah endeavors i wuz polite an skirtd around dis most innosent queshun, givin no real anzwr. Nao i use trick i read bout on teh forum- stare blankly. Werkz treat an makez u look liek psychopath at teh same tiem.

I has been 2 open haus wer teh houz iz basicly knock down job, 2 be told itz nothin coat ov paint an new kitchen wont fix. They usually pipe down aftr i let on im plumbr an deal wif renos (an iz privy 2 teh costs involvd) on weekly basis.
Council permits mysteriously go misin, sec32s dat arent worth teh papr theyre printd on.

Had an agent try 2 taek mah pen off me while fillin out contract ov sale as u doan ned b+p im tellin u itz all gud so itz all gud

had an agent nicely fill out mah contract ov sale offr 2 his client, an git his knickers in knot when i wantd 2 change nearly evrythin he had written.

I has been told i couldnt put 10% deposit paid on vendors signichur
even aftr i spent an hour in da solicitors office discusin mah rights an obligashuns in makin offers, an contracts in general.

Laughd at by an agent 4 specifyin fixturez an fittings 2 be includd, an 4 da houz 2 be clean wif no rubbish on siet at settlement

teh marketin terms: Gently slopin, cosy, quaint, short stroll 2...
If itz on hill jus say so. If itz on 250m2 block jus say so. Gettin me in da door undr false pretencez wont git me 2 look at ur othr propertiez.

Aucshuns r joke, wif teh terms ov sale supposedly bean somethin legally bindin. Last tiem i checkd im honor bound untill i sign. I has seen someone win teh aucshun only 2 has anothr biddr yell out +20k! An git usherd inside quick smart.

As u can tell im moar than lil disenchantd wif teh whole proces ov buyin ppor. I has lernt nao 2 hope 4 da bare minimum ov profeshunalism, an expect les. It still dosent mak up 4 da countles hours arrangin inspecshuns, emailin solicitors an bankz, compilin salez data an dd, an drivin 2 an frum haus, but i has come 2 terms dat as 1st home buyr at teh entry level (-420k) im jus not worth teh tiem highly skilld job such as rea demandz.

Thar r desent agents out thar, jus not lotz da in mah markit in mah area in vic.​
josh33 iz not happeh kitteh

Last edited:
Ughhhhhhh haha I feel the pain. :)

For me the bank is the easier part.

The real estates we have dealt with were mostly moronic. However you do come across some great professionals.

To cope:

#1 : I ask to see contract, section 149 and rental appraisal (in writing or via email at least) before even bothering to look.

[If I were a dog this would be = to ******* on their shoes. :p Kind of says "Im in control and know what I want." ]

#2 : Further DD, researching value online and speak to bank or other real estate about likely value of property of interest. You need to confidently know what it's worth now and likely to be worth in the near future.

#3 : Visit the property. I take a Property management type inspection report to fill in.

#4 : I submit a professional fair, but frank conditional written offer. Listing reason's for offer. ie: comparative values, state of property etc and clear expiration of offer.

Then go from there.

Most real estates respect professionalism and will behave accordingly if they think you demand it. (Even more so if they think they might get to manage your IP.)

*** Small RE's sometimes get offended (and quite bitchy) when you offer lower then they ask (more often then not they ask more than it is worth quite simply because they need it to keep their lights on.)

With these one's my theory is this is property investment not charity. No matter how skilled the RE agent they are not always going to be able to sell a property for what they would like. Better the vendor has your offer then no offers.

Pssst. Dont get me wrong, I dont hate RE agents my Mum was once one, however in saying that...I know the crap they can go on with.

Josh,

Just some food for thought after reading of your experiences.

1). Sometimes trying to establish yourself with agents as the clued up, savvy, property hunter can be your undoing. Depending on how you communicate with any REA can have a huge bearing on your result. I think you are better off appealing to their ego and playing along e.g., rather than staring blankly, just give them a guiding range set well below what you know you can pay; this will leave you both with room to negotiate. It's all well and good to learn "tricks", but the substance is in how you execute them. I believe people get so hung up on trying to beat the REA, they forget the whole reason they walked in the door in the first place and then whinge when they get shown the door.

2). If the whole process continues to be a totally negative experience for you no matter how hard you try........maybe you're trying too hard? Perhaps there is something wrong in your approach & demeanour? Honestly, just cast your mind back to some of the conversations you've had with these agents; are some of your comments to them possibly negative? If you approach an agent and start spewing about your experiences to date, then I can hardly see any of them spending time with you.

3). Finally, if out of the two points above you come up smelling like roses and it is clearly all the agents out there that are causing you this grief, perhaps consider using a buyers agent. Seriously, they may well be able to find the right property for you and negotiate a price which even after you add their fee could just about break even with what you could do off your own bat.....which to date doesn't sound all that flash.

Of all the agents I've had dealings with over the years, only one was a bad experience. All the others were relatively amicable, with some good dealings and properties transacted with good outcomes.

Looking forward to hearing your future experiences.

Cheers,

Ian.

@ Bob, I guess you need to do something in your spare time... ;)

@ Josh, my favourite part of buying a new place is dealing with a smooth agent. Don't get me wrong, I know some fantastic agents whom I have a great deal of respect for... And then there are others. I get a kick out of playing games with them.

One point; if an agent asks me how much in have to spend, I'll usually reply that I have a million bucks to spend, but I'm sure as heck not gonna spend it on THIS place.

Re. Not responding to an offer on time;
Agent calls up: congrats, your offer has been accepted!
Me: what offer?
Agent: your offer of X on property Y.
Me: oh yes, that offer was valid until 12pm, it's now (pause for effect) 12.15. I've bought a place from XYZ agents because they bothered to reply within the deadline!

Great post mate-best larf I had all day. Another Simpsons line: "It's funny cause it's true!"
catlol.jpg
I have posted this one previously but I like it so here ya go.

househunt kitteh says EVRYONE SHUD SPEEK LOLCAT

an act 2 constitute teh commonwealth ov australia. A.d. 1900 [9th july 1900]
whereas teh peeps ov new south walez, victoria, south australia, queensland, an tasmania, humbly relyin on teh blesin ov almighty ceilin cat, has agred 2 unite in wan indisoluble federal commonwealth undr teh crown ov teh unitd kingdom ov great britain an ireland, an undr teh constitushun hereby establishd:
An whereas it expedient 2 provide 4 da admishun into teh commonwealth ov othr australasian coloniez an posesshuns ov teh queen:
Be it therefore enactd by teh queen’s most awsum majesty, by an wif teh advice an consent ov teh lordz spiritual an temporal, an commons, in dis present parliament assembld, an by teh authority ov teh same, as follows:—
1. Dis act cud be citd as teh commonwealth ov australia constitushun act.
2. Teh provishuns ov dis act referrin 2 teh queen shall extend 2 her majesty’s heirs an succesors in da sovereignty ov teh unitd kingdom.
3. It shall be lawful 4 da queen, wif teh advice ov teh privy council, 2 declare by proclamashun dat, on an aftr dai therein appointd, not bean latr than wan yer aftr teh pasin ov dis act, teh peeps ov new south walez, victoria, south australia, queensland, an tasmania, an also, if her majesty iz satisfid dat teh peeps ov western australia has agred thereto, ov western australia, shall be unitd in federal commonwealth undr teh naym ov teh commonwealth ov australia. But teh queen cud, at any tiem aftr teh proclamashun, appoint governor-general 4 da commonwealth.

Commencement ov act.
4. Teh commonwealth shall be establishd, an teh constitushun ov teh commonwealth shall taek effect, on an aftr teh dai so appointd. But teh parliaments ov teh several coloniez cud at any tiem aftr teh pasin ov dis act mak any such laws, 2 come into operashun on teh dai so appointd, as they mite has made if teh constitushun had taken effect at teh pasin ov dis act.

Operashun ov teh constitushun an laws.
5. Dis act, an all laws made by teh parliament ov teh commonwealth undr teh constitushun, shall be bindin on teh courts, judgez, an peeps ov evry state an ov evry part ov teh commonwealth, notwithstandin anythin in da laws ov any state; an teh laws ov teh commonwealth shall be in force on all british ships, teh queen’s ships ov war exceptd, whose furst port ov clearance an whose port ov destinashun r in da commonwealth.

Definishuns.
6. “ teh commonwealth “ shall meen teh commonwealth ov australia as establishd undr dis act.
“ teh statez “ shall meen such ov teh coloniez ov new south walez, new zealand, queensland, tasmania, victoria, western australia, an south australia, includin teh northern territory ov south australia, as 4 da tiem bean r parts ov teh commonwealth, an such coloniez or territoriez as cud be admittd into or establishd by teh commonwealth as statez; an each ov such parts ov teh commonwealth shall be calld “a state.”
“ original statez “ shall meen such statez as r parts ov teh commonwealth at itz establishment.

Our lastest communications with some Sydney agents have been interesting.

Text from an agent after emailing an enquiry:
"Please have a man call me. No females will be spoken to".

Agent: Great property ready for a tenant to move straight into.
Inspection date shows a property approx 40% fire damaged internals.

Agent: You need to come into the office before we will issue prices and addresses.

Me: Why?

Agent: I need to see you eye to eye to ensure that you are right for the properties.:confused:

Thanks for the helpful and amusing reply's. And cats.
Have 2 booked in to look at tonight, see how I go.
I'm usually pretty polite and straight foreward with everyone, including agents, hell some of the work I do is through agents for rentals etc.
Just seems funny when I have the buyers hat on instead of the tradesmans the difference in treatment I recieve. Still, Ive taken on board a few things, I think as a 1st time buyer I'm investing too much effort into this, just need to step it down a notch.

I think this means you just didn't realize you were bent over.

They are experts at hiding their BS and tricks. The agents you see doing the wrong thing are the ones that are found out, as it's the industry that's dishonest not a 'few rogue agents'. The whole RE industry is pretty much dishonest, from reporting of auction clearance rates to dummy bidding to conditioning vendors. And on and on.......and on......

Of all the agents I've had dealings with over the years, only one was a bad experience. All the others were relatively amicable, with some good dealings and properties transacted with good outcomes.

Looking forward to hearing your future experiences.

Cheers,

Ian.

"I think this means you just didn't realise you were bent over."

Go easy there Evan, I don't let just anybody in the back door.......I am fairly selective. :D

The RE Agents have their games, we have ours. I generally don't get too worried by it, because once you've bought a few properties you can generally spot their tricks.

When an agent asks your budget, they are usually just qualifying you as a buyer, to work out whether you are a likely prospect. As someone else mentioned above, I normally just say "heaps, but I'll only buy if the price is right". They often ask if I'm an investor, and I will always say yes. I then tell them that I'm looking at a few places, and if the numbers work I'll buy it.

I will usually make an offer that I would be happy to pay, minus some contingency. I never make a written offer, and in fact try to always make my offer at the first inspection (if I intend to buy, sometimes I inspect and say thanks but not for me). I have found that when an agent sees you move quickly they spot you as a person with whom they can do business quickly, and thus close the sale and get their commission.

I always keep it friendly. If the agent comes back with a much higher counter offer I will generally say "no thanks, but if they are prepared to negotiate closer to my offer, feel free to give me a call. See ya!"

At the end of the day, I as the buyer am the one with the power. I can choose whether or not to buy, and choose the price I will buy at. If someone else gets in with a better offer, I am unconcerned. There are plenty more fish in the sea.

To the OP, I'd suggest not taking the whole thing quite so personally.

Back