Money Manager software

Hi all, just wandering what software others use to keep track of their finances ???

In my case I have been using Excel. Challenge is that with Visa card cycles it's a little challenging to get an accurate state of the nation at the end of each month despite our credit card been paid in full at the end of each cycle.

What I am wanting to do is at the end of each month work out exactly what I have spent and what has been saved from our incomes. If I was to use a debit card it would be ideal however the credit cards give us the points we use to fly family around.

Anyone keen to share ?

Ynab

I've been using YNAB, you need a budget for a few months. You can import from bank accounts etc, use an ap for tracking expenses, set up whatever categories & sub categories make sense to you. I really like it $60.

I use a freebie called Toshl.com. Nice easy User interface but it doesn't import automatically. Have to manually enter it in but I find it useful to see what I'm spending on. The mobile app version lets me add expenses on the go.

Don't most folks just look at their latest ATM transaction receipt? :D

My money manager program these days is "Peter and Paul" :eek:

Don't most folks just look at their latest ATM transaction receipt? :D

My money manager program these days is "Peter and Paul" :eek:

I tend to agree, this is over analyzing a bit.

Set up a long term savings account, ideally an offset account to some non-deductible debt such as your home loan. The CBA has 'sub' accounts which can do this really well. Other lenders will allow you to set up secondary accounts if structured cleverly.

Move money into this savings account on a regular basis, don't take money out. If you find yourself with a surplus every pay cycle, move more money. Do this on a regular basis and you know you're getting ahead.

Using money manager software might help you keep track of your spending, but a note pad can do this as well. If your primary assets are property, it's not going to tell you your net wealth at any given point unless you're constantly getting valuations done.

I tend to agree, this is over analyzing a bit.

Set up a long term savings account, ideally an offset account to some non-deductible debt such as your home loan. The CBA has 'sub' accounts which can do this really well. Other lenders will allow you to set up secondary accounts if structured cleverly.

Move money into this savings account on a regular basis, don't take money out. If you find yourself with a surplus every pay cycle, move more money. Do this on a regular basis and you know you're getting ahead.

Using money manager software might help you keep track of your spending, but a note pad can do this as well. If your primary assets are property, it's not going to tell you your net wealth at any given point unless you're constantly getting valuations done.
Thanks Pete, but I was only having a bit of joke about how the masses do it (the ATM bit).

I sorta have a bit of a clue how to run my money; the problem at the moment is lack of it.

"Pussie's bow" is the apt description. :eek:

We have a pretty cool software program I use for both work and home expenses called Cashflow Manager. You can run several "businesses" at once.

Last edited:
Google Microsoft Money Sunset Edition. It is a free download from Microsoft and does the job nicely. You can also track investments like shares, etc if you wish.

I've just started using (and really liking!) Pocketbook.

I just need to figure out some appropriate categories. Thinking of something simple like"

IP1 - Interest,
IP1 - Rent,
IP1 - Expenses,
IP2 - Interest,
etc

Using YNAB now for 2nd month. Liking it alot and it's already got me to cut back on some unnecessary stuff. This is budget software though and not full finance tracking.

I've just started using (and really liking!) Pocketbook.

I just need to figure out some appropriate categories. Thinking of something simple like"

IP1 - Interest,
IP1 - Rent,
IP1 - Expenses,
IP2 - Interest,
etc

I like that once set up it remembers the transactions. So you can literally spend about 5mins making sure that everything has landed in the right category, then look at what you did with the money.

Though I dont really like the bills/budgeting capabilities - though maybe Im just not using it correctly.

For some people, who have a normal life, I guess it might be overkill. However, for me, I only have a few 'regular' bills - everything else in a month can vary dramatically.

Ive been reading a lot of Mr Money Moustache - and while I like the philiosophy of not wasting money, Im also not a fan of "I can retire now if I never spend any money on things which I enjoy". Its gone a bit too far with being frugal (most of them are just plain tight). I would rather work a few more years, and live a very comfortable life post working. There is a nice balance between focusing on earnings and controlling expenses.

Blacky

I would rather work a few more years, and live a very comfortable life post working. There is a nice balance between focusing on earnings and controlling expenses.

Blacky[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, I like to spend money on things I enjoy, life is to be lived and enjoyed! I dont mind working extra to be able to spend extra BUT good budgeting is very important, especially when you live with someone who doesnt see value in it. So we decided how much money we want to save or put against mortgage, how much money is for each of us to spend per week and as long as everyone respects that, we are doing great! And I dont ever ask questions where did money go... I dont wana know tbh as long as we dont exceed our weekly limit :)

I just downloaded ibank for Mac... It has a free-30 day trial as I am not sure if I want to pay for it as well as its annual fee to auto download my bank statements...

Back