Moranbah - 100% FIFO

Yes, they will be out of a job in some cases if they insist on living local.

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/mining-operations-excluding-local-jobseekers/2195492/

I'm reading this to mean that they're recruiting locally in very limited numbers, not that they're sacking existing employees who want to live locally. This isn't illegal and perhaps their stats indicate that there's a clear commercial benefit to recruiting elsewhere.

My own business stats indicate that when hiring admin staff, middle aged women with school aged children are a good match to my needs. Nothing stopping me from hiring that person over the young single next door neighbor who's just as qualified on paper, but in my opinion won't fit the company culture as well.

My example was, strangely enough, an example.

If that could not be easily seen, well then I see that as, to quote someone: "a fail"

I was referring to the fact that these towns are EXISTING with EXISTING families and EXISTING businesses and they are struggling to remain towns when workforces are brought in from out of town.

The camp v town debate has been raging for years and years. Not just in Moranbah.

Everyone was quick to assume that the only people opposing FIFO are landlords.

I was trying to stick up for local regional businesses.

It appears that nobody else is.

I'm reading this to mean that they're recruiting locally in very limited numbers, not that they're sacking existing employees who want to live locally. This isn't illegal and perhaps their stats indicate that there's a clear commercial benefit to recruiting elsewhere.

BMA Daunia and Caval Ridge are *100%* FIFO, you don't have the option of living locally, you *HAVE* to live in Brisbane or Cairns. If you live anywhere else, you aren't eligible to work for the mine/s. Employees aren't given a choice of living locally, and if the locals want a job in this mine they have to move to Cairns or Brisbane.

What right does a business owner have to dictate where his staff live?
What next, colour of their skin, sexual preference?

As long as the staff can perform the job to the satisfaction of the employer for a suitable rate what else is there?

No one (except you) has mentioned selecting staff on race, or sexual preference. This is pretty simple stuff, try this out....A business offers to fly in and out employees and house them while they work at a salary 3-4 times what any normal person performing the same job would expect. There is no conflict between the employer and the employees. Every one is happy on this side. This is mutually agreed before you start employment with such business. Don't like it then don't work for them. Find you can't handle being away from family or friends...quit and take the 75% pay cut. Simple.

So I don't see it so much as the company dictating anything. Everyone has a clear understanding before you start employment with them. What are your options? I thought because it was a remote environment with limited cost effective housing these companies made these arrangements for staff (transport and housing)? It's not like you can ride you bike to and from work each day ;)

The only ones whinging and whining are the local investors who are now bleeding on the down side.

BMA Daunia and Caval Ridge are *100%* FIFO, you don't have the option of living locally, you *HAVE* to live in Brisbane or Cairns. If you live anywhere else, you aren't eligible to work for the mine/s. Employees aren't given a choice of living locally, and if the locals want a job in this mine they have to move to Cairns or Brisbane.

Presumably a logistical situation where it is easier for the mining firm to group fly in employees from one of two locations rather than dozens of locations. They staff these projects how they see fit to suit the logistical and financial aspects of the project.

Back