Moranbah?

Hi all.

has anyone bought in Moranbah or any of the Qld mining towns??

I am looking to make an offer in the next couple of days.There has been a lot of capital growth but still getting about 10% yield.

Anyone got any comments??

Thanks!!

hi herselman74,

residex list Moranbah in their top 100 postcodes for return (predicted rental + predicted capital growth) for next 5 years.

Is coal the only industry there?

Ajax

Hi ajax,

Coal is the main industry,also a gasline.There is 30 years industry growth left and 100 years of coal. There has been talk of further housing developments but space is limited due to potential mining land being too close to the proposed new development.This should keep demand high and yields high(i hope!!)

Hiya

I have a few clients in the mining industry in Moranbah and surrounding coal towns. They are investing elsewhere for growth.

Maybe its the forest for the trees sort of thing.

One thing we all need to remember re Residex type data. Its based on stats, of historical data. Its a good base, but you need to overlay some additional data which you are doing.

ta

rolf

Hi there everyone,

This is my first post. I actually live and work in Moranbah. Just a few details about the town. The main industry here is the coal industry, local gossip says at least 5 new mining projects are on the drawing board, I know of two that will become a reality.

Prices here have gone through the roof in the last few years with the average home (3 beds, 1 bath etc...) going for upwards of 230K. However we have a severe accommodation crisis and therefore rentals have been quite good eg; 350k house can easily get $500/week.

If you are looking for good yield this town is a good example, just bear in mind that the town is heavily dependant on coal which is good until coal prices drop!!

A friend of mine went to a town meeting about its future. Apparently there is a bit of drama about land being released for more development versus the coal underground. I'm unsure on whether there will be new developments in the future.

Hi there Pitts,

Not related to another forum member - Pitt st? :D

Just wondering about Moranbah.
How long to drive from Mackay?
I heard that it's hard to buy a house if you come from out of town.
Don't know why that would be, we all use AUD$.
The yields are huge compared to most other places...why?
Do miners who work in Moranbah send thier families down to Mackay to live?
Is this what's driving Mackay prices skyward?
How big is Moranbah?
Are there banks and services etc in town?
Should I consider an IP there?

cheers

Hi there Ray,

Nope, sorry not related!!

Moranbah is 2 1/4 hours drive to Mackay. Here's a bit of info about the town;

Has a population of 8000 permanent residents (more if you count people who work at Moranbah and reside elsewhere on their roster off)
It has coles, KFC, Red Rooster, a small hospital, heaps of sporting facilities, 2 x pubs, several restaraunts, > 4 banking facilities, 2 state schools, 1 primary school, even a small cinema. (Macdonalds is apparently on the cards and so too is Woolies).

The town supports several mines around the area both underground and open pits. Also has a CH4 gas plant.

It's hard to buy a house here because there is a severe housing shortage. I just saw a bloke the other week getting out of his trailer in the morning at the minesite to get to work!!!

The yields are good because of this. ($500/week is considered the norm for a 300k house)

Due to a booming coal market a lot of money goes through Mackay as mines support services begin to base themselves there (DBT, Joy Mining etc...). Add the high incomes that are associated with mining positions and the amount of people required to operate mining companies, you have plenty of people who can afford houses. I think this has definatley helped the rise in housing prices.

If you are looking for good returns Moranbah or Emerald is worth a look. Just bear in mind that the town is reliant on the Coal industry. Emerald however has both the coal and agricultural industry (not long ago having had the most millionaires per capita).

Hope this helps you!

I am based in Blackwater for the next 4 weeks on contract, and researching opportunities in the coal towns. Went up to Emerald yesterday and spent the day with the locals.

Can confirm Moranbah has new mines planned shortly.

From my experience, Blackwater and Emerald both have rental accomodation shortages. However, I would caution anyone without local knowledge or contacts to be very careful investing. The local councils are playing funny games at the moment in releasing new land for sub division. I am hearing they do all sorts of deals with the mining companies that favour the mining companies. Clinton Adams is supposed to be the most straight talking REA in town.

Blackwater has a lot of transportable sheds set up in big clusters for contract workers. Only about 20% of the workers and contractors live in town. THe rest bus it up from Gladstone, Rocky, or Yeppoon for the working days. You wouldn't have any trouble getting $500+ a week for a 3 bed house. But have heard a lot of houses get trashed during drunken bouts.

Emerald has a couple of new estates coming on line. Av blocks will start around $100k but one division is around 2km from town (towards airport) and locals prefer to be closer. Emerald got whacked by the canker outbreak which led to destruction of citrus crops. However, there are only 4 major growers in the area. And one of the biggest is an Indonesian outfit that is heavily suspected of importing the disease. They had armed security guards 24/7 before the outbreak. Locals reckon they were not only importing illegal plants, but illegal Indonesian workers..... As for coal, that only makes up 20% of the town's commerce. The rest is agriculture. There certainly is lots of money in town. However, much of the retail sector cannot get employees. No one wants to work for $15 an hour when the mines and mine servicing companies pay a hell of a lot more than that. McDonald's had to reduce their trading hours because they can't get staff. There's almost no unemployment either, as anyone hanging around in town would have difficulty justifying to Centerlink that they can't find work.

Spoke with a builder doing 2 spec houses in Blackwater yestarday. Hebel block 3/1/1 He is asking $350k for them. I nearly fell over. You can certainly get the big yields but just remember that you could buy houses in these town 2 years ago for $70k.

Further, if you want to build, best to bring your own gang. The tradies up here are flat out working for themselves for at least 12 months.

Meanwhile, I have gone off buying residential and am looking at commercial. THere's lots of opportunities once you start looking at supply and demand disequilibrium.

Final word is to do your own due diligence re price of coal. Most economists are predicting the price will drop by 30-40% next year (see latest 2 issues of BRW). Though volumes may continuing climbing.

Mining is still cyclical

I always knew that China had plenty of coal reserves and still weren't a huge importer of met coal, but just found out the other day that they import less than 3% of all BMA's (main coal miner in Bowen Basin) exported coal. So if you are a believer in the China story I am thinking iron ore might be a better way to play it. The iron ore China does have is pretty crap so it looks like an increase in demand should affect iron ore more than coal. Which explains why they are talking about decent gains for iron ore in the current negotiations while for coal Baosteel (main Chinese steel company) is wanting a 10% drop and the coal miners are only hoping for a 10% increase (looks like a flat rollover is probably most likely). There is a reason houses in these areas were selling for less than $100k three years ago. Coal being a cyclical industry, houses will sell for or near this price again and that will be the time to buy. As I have said before, the best way to play it in the Bowen Basin is bring your own crew in and build a speccy.

Cheers,
Todd

Hi firstbruce,

Great 'word-on-the-street' post.

As for this,

thefirstbruce said:
Spoke with a builder doing 2 spec houses in Blackwater yestarday. Hebel block 3/1/1 He is asking $350k for them. I nearly fell over. You can certainly get the big yields but just remember that you could buy houses in these town 2 years ago for $70k.

These are nothing but hype values, for when the coal runs out these properties will crash and burn....

George

I lived in blackwater for 14yrs :( was offered houses for $8000

I lived in blackwater for 14yrs :( was offered houses for $8000 in 99

to bad I was to busy partying oh well maybe someone will one day invent a

time machine hell even a few yrs back blocks were only around 2-5k

oh well you win some you loose some anyone got a crystal ball for the next big thing?

moranbah

I have been watching the market around the mining towns for a few years and it is quite an interesting tale. The valuers are coming back with higher risk ratings now than what they were 1 year ago.

They are cyclic so buyer beware.

cheers
amanda

BlackWater (near Moranbah)

Hi
I have got some properties in Mt-Isa that return around the $300PW and BlackWater (near Moranbah) that return $450PW.you do your sums.
My opinion Mt-Isa is the better bet for short-medium growth.

In my previous life I spent 2 weeks a month in mining towns throughout Australia and every town I spoke to locals agents and builders, that is a lot over 8 years! There is the late run for the mining boom and lets face it when the papers are telling you that it is a good buy the clever money is selling.

In my humble opinion Mt Isa over 2yrs ago was a good place to buy. Over a 6 mth period hitting the streets early last year it was obvious there was more money in selling to the investors than the short term gain of $50pw cashflow which may last 2 years due to the shortage of accomodation. At that time Xstrata was entering an arrangement with a developer to build a new housing estate and the developer would rentain rental rights - not good news for the investor with mine supplied housing to entice good recruits soaking up all those paying over price for rentals. I would be checking if there has been any change to these plans prior to buying.

Moranbah, Emerald, Blackwater etc etc the boom is underway and has been for awhile and rentals are scarce. I have a number of clients currently developing in mining boom towns and onselling before the market moves.

Interesting fact, at a mining conference last year on safety and concerns over fatigue issues etc it was revealed that over 1000 people a day are driving from the Mackay to the mines due to the lack of accommadation ...

Mackay is on the coast, has a number of industries, yes it has a booming market. But if the coal market falls which others above have suggested or a mine enters an agreement with a developer for housing where does that leave you?

In Mackay unfortunately you have to forget the reno and refi or flip strategy for the moment as you will wait 18mths for a builder - those who are not chasing big money at the mines are in short supply. As with any type of investment research not just the recent history or current gain but long term potential needs to be looked at and a number of strong industries provide that.

Just my thoughts - for those chasing mining towns - there is 2 new mines going in at Mudgee - apparently - the council website has a great run down on future housing development plans - there is a number of industries wine, ag, race horses, 3.5 hrs from Syd.... But as all things I looked at this last year so may have many of you and maybe the smart investors are selling now, once again it is all about research.

Interesting in a lecture two weeks ago John Edwards said he personally will be buying in Adelaide in the next 6 mths due to Uranium mining in the State. This week a new mine was alluded too in SA - maybe time to follow the man with the stats.

4 weeks ago BIS Shrapnel said that rents in Syd would go up 45% by 2009 and 30% in Bris and 20% in Bris. Not so unlikely, my rent went up 10% last week. Macquarie Bank economists said a 15% increase in rent is equivalent to a 0.5% interest rate rise on housing affordability. Not good news for renters in capitals cities but nice for investors. Another thought for another 90 secs.

Buzz.

I have a property in Moranbah which I bought for $300k and I have it rented for $660/wk. I dropped in (snap inspected it) last Saturday and the tenant/company is keeping it very clean. This is generally the best way to go rather single tenant.
There are plenty of properties on the market in Moranbah and the rental prospect is very strong. Moranbah is a multi-company mine town (+ subies)which gives it depth and more mines are popping up all the time.

My best friend/flat mate is from Moranbah, and she just returned from a weekend trip home - her comments might interest anyone looking in the area.

She was pretty upset by how dry/dead everything was. They've always been on high water restrictions - but this was the worst she's ever seen. She hated taking showers while there because she felt like she was covered in a layer of dirt afterwards. They don't drink the tap water as it's too murky - everyone is drinking filtered water. The mango tree in her backyard isn't producing fruit at all anymore, the trees in her front yard are all dead - the drought is extremely severe. In fact, it's so bad that she was talking about all the new housing estates - and they've stopped allowing you to build any new homes unless you can source water from other areas. So all of her friends from the area are sitting on land waiting to build while they can source water from other areas.

I imagine in the short term - with the demand that everyone is talking about for housing - prices will climb even higher as will rents - as they simply are not allowed to build there anymore.

In the long term - well, I've known this girl and her friends/family for a long time, and Moranbah is a hole to say the least - mining is the only thing keeping it alive. I'm not gutsy enough to take such risks on such a mining dependent town - but those who are - might be handsomely rewarded in the short term at least :D

Cheers,
Jen

I hold a couple of properties in Moranbah.
Purchased them in '06-'07-'08.

At today's prices I would be very careful buying into them.
Prices and Rent returns are quite volatile.
My rental returns for a 4 bed property are:

'07 - 950 pwk (bought for 400s)
'08 - 1050 pwk
'09 - 1200 pwk
'10 - 1800 pwk
'11 - 2800 pwk (revalued at 900k very conservatively by the bank)
'12 - 1700 pwk

Had the property rent for 2800 pwk for 12 months and now the same is renting at 1700 pwk from April this year. Luckily I had purchased them at 400k mark. Sad for the investors who paid 1m plus just a couple of months ago to find it valued at around 7-800k today.

Risk outweigh the returns imho.

At today's prices I would be very careful buying into them. Prices and Rent returns are quite volatile...

Risk outweigh the returns imho.

There was a really interesting/scary article in the July 2012 Australian Property Investor magazine about the dramatic slump in Moranbah right now. One property manager said he had 50 properties on his books in April and has not been able to rent a single one of them out :eek:

Back