Mortgage Broker in Sydney?

Hi there,

I'm 20 years old and looking to find a trustworthy and reliable mortgage broker to sit down and have a chat with. I know a lot can be done via phone/email these days but I would prefer someone I could sit down with face-to-face and have a chat with to ensure we are operating on the same level.

I'm open to any recommendations of good brokers in Sydney who really know their stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks! :cool:

Rolf Latham, Mick C, and Marty McDonald are all regulars here who I expect would do a sit down (though Rolf seems to spend most of his time in QLD sunning himself on the beach).

Terry W is a finance broker and lawyer so is a good pick for anything that involves choosing finance structures etc as well.

There are a couple of others eg TheFinanceShop who post here too, so plenty of choice for knowledgable brokers.

Hi JMillar,

I recently had Shahin who posts on SS assist with a complicated application and he was very helpful. Whatever you do don't deal with Mortgage Choice brokers as I dealt with 2 before and they were quite terrible.

Regards

L

Hi JMillar,

I recently had Shahin who posts on SS assist with a complicated application and he was very helpful. Whatever you do don't deal with Mortgage Choice brokers as I dealt with 2 before and they were quite terrible.

Regards

L

Has SS done a name and shame topic on industry professionals?

Has SS done a name and shame topic on industry professionals?

SS generally works more on positive posting, than 'mud flinging' matches.

Lets not even get into legal threats.

TheFinanceShop (Shahin) posts on here regularly and has been mentioned in this thread already. He is based in NSW iirc.

I would prefer someone I could sit down with face-to-face and have a chat with to ensure we are operating on the same level.

Sounds like you want a mb to educate you. Which is fine, but remember that good mortgage brokers probably have a lot of clients already, so they may not be willing to spend hours and hours educating you. Go educate yourself first on how loans work and what loan frills you need and do not need. The basics of IO, offsets, refinance and cross collateralisation, for example, can be learned on this forum or bank websites on loans.

Hi JMillar,

Regards

L

It's the people you deal with not the company. Plenty of good brokers in the MC stable plenty of real duds too. How do you know which is which though? This is why good old referrals or evidence of personal knowledge via posting on this forum comes in handy for prospective borrowers.

Re the time to sit down and pick a brokers brain you really should do a lot of research yourself first. That way you can get into the nitty gritty rather than focusing on loans 101.

I highly recommend Leigh Birch from Birchcorp - he'll be more than willing to educate you in the everything there is about mortgage broking plus more.

You can check out his site for contact details - www.birchcorp.com.au

He'll save you tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years, and mention me (Victor) and I'm certain he'll be more than happy to sit down and chat with you for as long as it takes.

Thanks for the tips thus far.

Sounds like you want a mb to educate you. Which is fine, but remember that good mortgage brokers probably have a lot of clients already, so they may not be willing to spend hours and hours educating you. Go educate yourself first on how loans work and what loan frills you need and do not need. The basics of IO, offsets, refinance and cross collateralisation, for example, can be learned on this forum or bank websites on loans.

Alexlee, sorry if I painted a misleading picture in my OP. I don't want to pick their brains on basic stuff - I'm happy to do my own research.

I just figure that if I want to leverage myself as much as possible over the next 5 years to acquire property, I will need a good, reliable mortgage broker. I'd like to get some opinions from people on this forum pertaining to who to use, rather than just picking one at random and hoping they're good :)

Cheers

Alexlee, sorry if I painted a misleading picture in my OP. I don't want to pick their brains on basic stuff - I'm happy to do my own research.

I just figure that if I want to leverage myself as much as possible over the next 5 years to acquire property, I will need a good, reliable mortgage broker. I'd like to get some opinions from people on this forum pertaining to who to use, rather than just picking one at random and hoping they're good :)

Good plan. Main thing to remember is that what makes a broker good compared to average is in how they can help you with the long term plans. So it's not about getting a good rate for the current property, but which lenders to use to maximise borrowings, for example.

The more you know about the basics BEFORE you see them, the more of the 'value added' stuff you'll learn from them.

hi. yes i am a mortgage broker based in sydney cbd. i am also a solicitor and CTA. i charge a small brokerage fee for finance clients to stop the time wasters and avoid those who are not serious.

I used to just go direct to the bank rather than brokers, but have recently used Julian Fadini from Bellevue Financial, 0414 509 100 and found him very helpful with our Smsf property purchase. He is the director so he makes sure everything is done properly.
I have referred him to 3 guys at work, and they were very happy with him also.
The bank I always used to use always seemed to have a different broker every time I needed more finance which was frustrating, I prefer to deal with the one person .

Back