Motorbikes

Yes, my bike was mode of transport to and fro.

I so far have; dodged kangaroos, sheep that had got through fences, trucks that went through give way/stop signs...it isn't all roses.

I enjoy them, I have since a kid. When I first got my bike licence I took further lessons on bike riding, and I learnt reasonable basic bike maintenance skills.

They are a part of my, (and family), enjoyment and life. So far so good.

Only used for fun now though. Not my main mode of transport.

We have had road bikes and farm/ag bikes.

Has anybody done this? I know bikes can be very dangerous. I'm a very careful and slow driver and would be the same on a bike.

I've been commuting on a bike to and from work for the last 4+ years. Had some pretty close calls which I wouldn't have avoided by riding slowly and carefully. In my experience you need to ride quite aggressively. Car drivers will walk all over you (so to speak) if they think you are a pushover and that's whn it can get most dangerous. Especially in peak hour traffic you want to make sure you don't leave too large a gap between yourself and car in front or you'll have ********s trying to fill it. You don't want to putter along directly to the side of a car or they'll often try to merge into you without seeing (especially 4WD or truck drivers who are higher up). When you can scoot through cars at lights when they are stationery you do it and take off quickly to get ahead of the pack. Much safer if you can ride along with less traffic around you.

Bikes aren't dangerous - just the riders.
When was the last time you saw anyone in a car overtake a motorbike?
:confused: I agree there are dangerous riders out there, but in my experience the actions of car drivers put us at far more risk than our riding does.

Every day I see this.

GG, something like a 400 cruiser would be good. Small enough to get around traffic. Large enough for cruising 1 or 2 up. I'm a seasonal rider. Prefer riding the bike when the weather is warm and dry.

I've been riding for over a decade, although am currently without a bike :( (soon to be rectified!). Used a bike as my only form of transport for a lot of that time.

Getting into bikes is a big decision. If you're going to do it then do it properly. Get all the safety gear, use it and get a series of good lessons (not just the ones to get your licence) in defensive riding. Practice, practice, practice your emergency braking, evasive action, slow speed stability, etc etc. Know how far you can lean over in a corner. Know the correct lines to take going around corners. Practice. Get to know experienced (and safe!) riders and watch how they use the road for maximum vision and visibility, which gives them options. Develop competence and confidence with your machine and pick one for road riding, not shaving a second off at the racetrack.

And yes, assume every car is out to get you. Never go through a green light without checking if anyone is running a red. Riding is about total awareness - checking mirrors, the types of vehicles around you and running through the what-ifs all the time - what if that car pulls out in front of me? what if this guy next to me changes lanes without checking? What am I going to do? That way, if there is an accident then its your fault at least because you should always be making allowances for other people's mistakes - there is no comfort in being right!

I also cycle and would rate that more dangerous on busy city roads (which I avoid) but less so on side streets / shared paths.

It is, of course, a lot of fun but it's not like driving a car. It's far more intense riding a motorbike safely but I love it - I tend to fall asleep driving tin-top smokeboxes now! So boring!

:confused: I agree there are dangerous riders out there, but in my experience the actions of car drivers put us at far more risk than our riding does.

Well, if that's the case - and you know it is a distinct possibility, then a bike rider should ride with that in mind - not like they currently do; which is like they are the only people on the road.

Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I know this; if I'm a bike rider, and I'm likely to be in a collision with a car, truck or bus, I'm going to come off a very BIG second-best.

So, in light of this, they should all ride accordingly - not whinge about how they are "not seen" ra, ra, ra while breaking the speed limits with regular monotony.

They (car drivers) aren't trained to think of smaller, harder to see, speed of light bikers who break most road rules with monotonous regularity. Sorry; reality.

Car drivers (me) drive around with the subconscious mindset of looking for other cars and vehicles of similar and bigger size, travelling at similar speeds. We don't often think of the bikes.

So what? That's their problem - it's the reality, and they need to embrace it; not fight it and end up in the ICU with a righteous attitude.

But, hey; it's cool to do that, right? You know; being a rebel and all that, what??

Look, I used to ride a bike, so I'm not sprouting stuff I know zero about. Riding a bike is bloody dangerous, but the trade off is cheap travel.

So, ride like you might get killed any minute - which is about what happens.

Bayview - Just go ahead and tar all us riders with the same brush why don't you. Talk about steriotypical generalisations.

Bayview - Just go ahead and tar all us riders with the same brush why don't you. Talk about steriotypical generalisations.

Mate, I just call it as I see it.

Working in ICU for 3 years will do that to you as well.

And if you need any extra confirmation; just ring up any insurance company and ask them what their stats are.

What about the last time you saw a car blindly turn right when a 2 wheeler was coming the other way ? I was travelling the riht speed, this guy just turend straight i front of me like I wasnt there and I slammed into his passenger door as there wasn't anwhere near enough time to stop.

Us car drivers aren;t angels or any better than motorcyclists I don't beleive. All seem to take risks beleiveing they are safe cause they know what they're doing, oh and we're only doing it because other drivers/riders on the road are idiots and ******* us off

Makes me laugh - motorbikers are all hoons, cyclists are all selfish red-light runners, pedestrians are all jay walkers, drivers are all doing their makeup with the stereo up!

One common denominator - we're all people! And there are no stupid questions, just stupid people! :p

actually, Saturday. On the freeway, left lane, car a distance behind motorbike, car catches up to motorobike, weaves into the lane, passing bike and turning bck into left lane in time to make the freeway exit. Guess the bike was slowing him down too much

Back