Movies to grow by

Hey there... How are you?

Don't you love a great Movie. Ive just watched "startup.com" the movie and its a doco about a millionaire startup Co. Fantastic..
Another movie which gets into the trading room is "boiler room"... the sleazy side of it.....

Do you know of any other inspirational movies for the wealthy minded...?

Cheers

Itsounds interesting.

Do you have a little more detail? A review?

It would be good to know even if you watched it at the movies. or on video.

Cheers, and thanks for the contribution.

I really liked "American Beauty" for its examination of What Really Matters In Life.

It's a strange movie in that it tells you a lot about people who see it -- I found that everyone who saw it got something different out of it.

I'd also like to nominate "8 Mile", which we saw last week. It's about someone refusing to accept their starting position in life, taking responsibility, and making their own decisions to improve it. It's suprisingly intelligent and subtle for an American movie.

Neither of these movies is directly about making money, but for me they address the fundamentals behind a happy successful life.

So there's my 2.2c. :)

"Eight Mile" stars, and is supposedly a story loosely based on Eminem's story.

My daughter saw it at the movies about four weeks ago- she is an Eminem fan. She did enjoy it, amd the reviews sounded reasonable.

But I belong to another generation :D

High Fidelity

I really enjoy the movie High Fidelity with John Cusack. I think the author, Nick Hornsby, really captures what it is like to be a fella trying to sort out his way in life relationship wise.

I think it is also one of the few British books that has successfully been reset in the US without being dumbed down too much.

Fantastic casting with John Cusack and Jack Black supporting him, with roles by Tim Robbins and Bruce Springstein.

It is a "must see" for anyone who wants to know the truth about young men - and their obsession with music.

Hrmmm - have to hire some of these and watch/rewatch

Any more doco style ones ?

"Catch me if you can" is based on a true story, its a great weath building strategy - if you have no morals and a high risk tolerance :p

I cant think of any serious suggestions atm

Have any of you guys seen "the bank" ?

It's fantastic!!!

It's all about a guy who is a trader and gets pi$$ed off with the banking system

I loved it.

asy :D

Nothing to do with money / investing, but:

I saw Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine last week, and would have to say its one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life.

It focuses on the issue of gun control (or lack thereof) in the US, and has some fascinating insights into the culture of violence and the effect this is having on teenagers and children in the US.

I would highly recommend everybody see it if you get a chance.

There are some absolutel piss-funny bits where Moore is baiting NRA president Charlton Heston... Dont want to give away too much but!

Michael Moore

I am looking forward to seeing Bowling for Columbine. I have just read his book "Stupid White Men" which was quite an eye opener as to his opinions of the US leadership.

Highly recommended read.

Cheers,

Jamie, Simon,

You might also try to get hold of a copy of "Waco: The Rules Of Engagement". This OSCAR-winning documentary provides a very unsettling perspective on the siege of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, in which about a hundred people were killed.

AND the movie that has it all? love,adventure,music,car chases,shooting, religion,shopping malls,funny names,prison,comedy,money,a good cause,infact so many things l could go on for ever. THE BLUES BROTHERS.

Originally posted by mitch
AND the movie that has it all? love,adventure,music,car chases,shooting, religion,shopping malls,funny names,prison,comedy,money,a good cause,infact so many things l could go on for ever. THE BLUES BROTHERS.

Well said, Mitch...

and...

Don't forget...

IT WAS ALL DONE IN THE PERSUIT OF REAL ESTATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehehe

asy :D

Come and see Gettin' Square when it's out with David Wenham (from The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers) and Timothy Spall (from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). The movie follows a group of small-time crooks who are trying to go straight, but find themselves pitted against all the high-tech resources of the newly formed Crimes Investigation Commission. From the grotty back streets of Brisbane's Fortitude Valley to the glitz of the Gold Coast, they call on all their street-smarts and rat-cunning tp stay one step ahead of the Commission's "super-cops".

Gettin' Square is a fast-paced romp in the vein of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels with all the wise guys style of Ocen's Eleven.

It's out soon.

Lotana
---------------------------
Disclaimer: I have invested in this movie and am one of the owners of the copyright.

Originally posted by Lotana
Come and see Gettin' Square when it's out with David Wenham (from The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers) and Timothy Spall (from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). The movie follows a group of small-time crooks who are trying to go straight, but find themselves pitted against all the high-tech resources of the newly formed Crimes Investigation Commission. From the grotty back streets of Brisbane's Fortitude Valley to the glitz of the Gold Coast, they call on all their street-smarts and rat-cunning tp stay one step ahead of the Commission's "super-cops".

Gettin' Square is a fast-paced romp in the vein of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels with all the wise guys style of Ocen's Eleven.

It's out soon.

Lotana
---------------------------
Disclaimer: I have invested in this movie and am one of the owners of the copyright.

There are some nice tax breaks for investing in aussie films isnt there ?

Do we get a special somersoft premiere ?

Tax breaks is all I'm getting from it so far, but Gettin' Square is going to hit the box office here and overseas. Why? Because it's a great script which allowed them to secure excellent cast (higher profile than was originally planned, but within the same budget). Special Somersoft premiere is a good idea. I'll see what I can do. The movie has been shot but has not yet been released.

I also have more Ausie movies in the pipeline. Lower budget, but hopefully equally enjoyable. I'll tell you more about them when the information becomes available.

As an investment, I don't think Australian Film and TV is good - too risky. But as a gamble it is much better that playing pockies. At the end if things go wrong you can still keep the DVD and watch it for the rest of your life.

Cheers,

Lotana

Originally posted by XBenX
There are some nice tax breaks for investing in aussie films isnt there ?

Do we get a special somersoft premiere ?
I invested in some Aussie films some years ago- when there was a 150% discount. There was the movie "Bliss", the mini series "Harp in the South", and a documentary where the producer ran off with all the money.

Bliss had some critical acclaim, though I didn't like it much. Harp in the South wa quite enjoyable. None of them made money.

I've also invested in 2 TV series: Young Lions and McLeods Daughters. The former one was a disaster, the latter one is a success.

Cheers,

Lotana

Back