Moving to Gosford - nice areas??

Hi all,

Well Geoff just got offered a fantastic opportunity to open a pharmacy in Gosford with the potential to open others in Newcastle......so we're moving - in January! :eek:

We've never been to Gosford or Newcastle and I'm looking for some local knowledge. I think we'll probably start living in Gosford, as the Newcastle pharmacies are at least a year off.

What are the nice suburbs/areas of Gosford? The bad areas? Good schools? Safe neighborhoods? Cafes? Any/all advice would be fantastic!

As Newcastle is also in the plans, we could also live between Gosford and Newcastle.

As we're from Melbourne - if anyone who knows Gosford and also knows Melbourne - comparable suburbs would be great! (i.e where's the "Toorak" of Gosford or the "Broadmeadows"?)

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Jen

Well I live in both Sydney (during week) and Central Coast (weekends). Gosford is not a place you want to live to be honest. It is fine for your working husband but it is a tired old town. Ok thats the negative out of the way.

I have a weekender at Copacabana and I think that area is fantastic. If you are going to be living their yourself then I would probably suggest either Avoca or Terrigal. Both are close to Erina Fair which is a huge shopping centre and also close to the beaches. They are safe areas although expensive. (about 20 minutes drive to Gosford)

As long as you stick to the MacMasters Beach, Copacabana, Avoca, Terrigal, Wamberal, Forresters Beach areas you will be fine. They are the "tooraks" of the Central Coast.

In my view keep away from anything between Gosford and Newcastle. That is just my personal opinion.

I guess it depends what you like. I lived up the Coast for 2 years and eventually got bored of the lack of decent restaurants, proximity to the City, etc. Mind you others love the relaxed lifestyle with nice little beach cafes. During the week it is a fairly "dead" area as most people commute to Sydney for work. The weekends are however a hive of activity.

I enjoy going there on weekends and spending time away from Sydney but love Sydney during the week. If you also wanted a similar lifestyle then you could live at Wahroonga and your husband could drive to Gosford (would take him about 30 minutes). This in my view would give you both something good. Wahroonga is definitely a Toorak and is close to great hospitals, good restaurants, nice cafes and only 30 minutes into town (without traffic).

I don't like making this comment but I personally found Gosford to be a hole. It's dirty, has a lot of unemployment and with that drugs and the other social problems. The council are inept and slow and in reality the area could be beautiful. I once read on this forum that Gosford is Mount Druitt by the sea. No disrespect for the people in Mount Druitt as they are probably lovely people and to be honest I haven't been there. To me it's Auburn by the sea.

Thanks Coastymike,

That's exactly the type of local views we're looking for! When Geoff initially said Gosford, I looked at the map for the closest beachtowns nearby (if we're going to move all the way up there, we may as well live near the beach!) - and Terrigal stood out with at least being on some of the larger maps (also The Entrance??).

Which of these beach suburbs would you consider to be the largest? We're going to be moving from Inner Melbourne - so we're used to shops/cafes/city lifestyle that I know we won't get up there, but something with cafes and and a decent sized community would help with the transition! I'm used to being able to walk to everything I need.........

If the driving distance to Gosford from where we choose to live (the pharmacy is currently right next to the Gosford train station) is around 20 minutes, Geoff would be happy........and if it's a beachside/ cafe central suburb, I would be happy :D

Thanks for the help! It's going to be a BIG move!!

Cheers,
Jen

Without a doubt, Terrigal or The Entrance if money is no object :D

Both very crowded on weekends but I love it there.

I live in Newcastle - moved here 6 years ago.

If I can help with info drop me an email. If you come for a visit call in for a tea or coffee.

Most people like it here because of the beaches and easy to get around city.

Cheers,

Not sure whether Terrigal is larger than the Entrance but Terrigal is nicer than the Entrance. Terrigal attracts a lot of wealthy Sydneysiders whereas The Entrance attracts the weekend tourist.

I would not be moving to the Entrance as it is much poorer than Terrigal and the quality of the cafes, restaurants, etc are in my view much poorer than Terrigal. Terrigal is a nice location with everything you would need. If you wanted a fantastic shopping centre then Erina Fair would be a 10 minute drive for you.

Personally I have always thought Copacabana is the best town on the coast as it has one of everything a newsagency, a decent cafe (in fact two), a restaurant, a hairdresser, etc. On weekends it is is great and I must confess there is nothing better than sitting on the balcony with a glass of red wine a decent cigar and watching all the activity on the beach. Anyway it is dark and there is no activity on the beach and the traffic will have subsided so I'll be signing out and heading back to Sydney. Good luck with your search.

Thanks Coastymike and everyone for your help!!

You are making me feel much better about this move! I've been wanting to move up North to the coast (only because I don't like Melbourne's weather - I love everything else about this great city!) but I never thought it would be so fast - it was a few years away plan!! We do not know a soul up there, and the closest we've ever been is Sydney or Ballina.......

But Terrigal is looking like a really good option!! We sent an email up to someone we know in Sydney and they also said to check our Terrigal and went on about how lovely it is! :D Now, does anyone have a rental up there they need a tenant for? ;)

Simon, I will take you up on that offer and send you a message when we start looking at Newcastle, the way things are going, it won't be too far away!

Thanks again - and if anyone else has any other opinions/ideas on the surrounding areas - please speak up! We're going into this with no idea! :eek:

Cheers,
Jen

Hi,

Im with Coastymike. My parents have lived around the area for 20 years or so so I am very familiar with the area. Copa, Avoca, Macmasters and Terrigal are all beautiful places and have superb beaches. Stear well clear of Gosford itself.

Good luck
Slingshot

What are the nice suburbs/areas of Gosford? The bad areas? Good schools? Safe neighborhoods? Cafes? Any/all advice would be fantastic!... if anyone who knows Gosford and also knows Melbourne - comparable suburbs would be great! (i.e where's the "Toorak" of Gosford or the "Broadmeadows"?)Jen

Jen,

I'd have to say Terrigal as well. Copacabana is great but the drive will probably be a drag. All the beaches are good actually, like Wamberal, Avoca etc but if you're into cafe culture then Terrigal is it.

Gosford, Erina, Wyoming etc are all working class suburbs.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Aimy

Hi Jen,

I grew up in newcastle and lived in the central coast from 1998-2000. I lived in Wyoming back then and the nicest thing i can say about it is it was very 'working class'. it was convenient to me as near Gosford Station for my commute to sydney.

In hindsight, (and if money was no object:D) and if i didn't need to be near the train i would have chosen to live around Terrigal for sure. It's really nice there with great beaches (not like the melbourne ones :) sorry!), cafes, resturants etc.

If you decide to later move to Newcastle there are plenty of beuatiful suburbs to choose from there such as Merreweather, The Hill, Cooks Hill, parts of Hamilton etc (much more so than the central coast!)

I'll just warn that the CC is a nightmare to drive around due to terrible roads and too much congestion.

Jase

Hi Jen

I lived on the Central Coast a few years ago. The nice spots I remember were Terrigal, Avoca and Wamberal, which seem to be pretty much in line with all the other replies you've had.

I certainly was not a fan of Gosford itself, or Woy Woy.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks all so much for your help! We've been searching like crazy, but I won't be able to make it up there to visit the areas until after Xmas.

Terrigal is looking very beautiful. Also, we were wondering if anyone on this forum knows of or has any opinion of Umina Beach? Is it nice? Would you live there? It appears that it (might?) have more amenities than Terrigal - but it's difficult to tell from the internet. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Jen

Hey Jen, I don't know if you got to go up yet. I am in Terrigal and yes I do think it is the best place . Wamberal, shelley beach, erina heights, avoca and copacabana are all beautiful to choose from as well. You will find different types of people living in each area and when go there you will know which one suits you personally. When you move here I don't think you'll move away again. E.:):) Best of luck .If you need anymore info. P.M. me.
Thanks all so much for your help! We've been searching like crazy, but I won't be able to make it up there to visit the areas until after Xmas.

Terrigal is looking very beautiful. Also, we were wondering if anyone on this forum knows of or has any opinion of Umina Beach? Is it nice? Would you live there? It appears that it (might?) have more amenities than Terrigal - but it's difficult to tell from the internet. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Jen

I have relatives who are looking to buy in Green Point around the $500k mark. Any comments on this area-some properties have great views.

I know Wamberal well. I'd chose this or North Avoca if i had the $.

Ajax

I have relatives who are looking to buy in Green Point around the $500k mark. Any comments on this area-some properties have great views.
Ajax

Hi Ajax,

API Mag did an article on Green Point a couple of years ago - gave it a good wrap. I lived at Erina for a couple of years - GP is fine with some nice views and good long term CG.

Aimjoy

My hubby grew up in Wyoming, and we visit the parents-in-law there quite often. I quite like Matcham Valley, myself...

Gosford station

Does anyone have an opinion on the Noth Gosford i.e just North of the train station. A friend has their eye on a townhouse for 310K with 280PW rent. I drove through Gosford a year ago and it looked like a nice part of the world.. but there are a lot of negative comments about Gosford on the forum!

Advice please...is gosford worth a go??

The area is quite pretty in parts, but North Gosford is not one of the nicer parts, as I remember it. It's quite industrial - rows of houses mixed in with rows of auto shops and industrial sheds...

Does anyone have an opinion on the Noth Gosford i.e just North of the train station. A friend has their eye on a townhouse for 310K with 280PW rent. I drove through Gosford a year ago and it looked like a nice part of the world.. but there are a lot of negative comments about Gosford on the forum!

Advice please...is gosford worth a go??

Hi Kater

I had a factory in North Gosford. 94 to 2000. Gosford is a funny area. Lots of bad press, lots of 'white trash', and a local Govt. with about as much insight as a tony jones interview. Zip!

It could be a great area in the future. However, I've been saying that for 25 years. Capital growth in North Gosford has not been great. The surrounding areas of Wyoming and Narara have some great house buys for well under $300k.
There is a major drug problem there, visible for all to see. The Town of Gosford is suffering, as business's close and move out to Erina, which really is the Hub of commercial activity on The Coast.

I know lots of locals quite happily living and working/or commuting from here, so make of it what you will. I think the young ones will probably rescue the misfortunes of Gosford.

If you like I can check out the location of the town house you are looking at, and PM you.

Cheers pendo

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your help!! Very much influenced by your suggestions, we ended up chosing Terrigal to live. It took a LONG time to find a rental property, but we've found one, about 2 blocks from the beach and shops (and allows pets - most important criteria!!) and now we're just finishing the dreaded unpacking. It's a temporary move as we would like to buy up here somewhere (finally settle?!? - wow!!), and so far Terrgial is looking pretty good, just wish it was more affordable!

So, if there's anyone from the area up here who enjoys a glass of wine or a beer - certainly PM me, we know not a single soul!!

For those who were questioning Gosford - my husband bought a local pharmacy there, and they are turning it into a Chemist Warehouse (a discount Chemist which thrives in lower income areas) - so, I suppose their reason for choosing Gosford may give a bit of insight into the area. It really is a beautiful area, on the water, with a Central train station, so I think if the local govt gets their act together to help to control the drug problem and cleans up the area a bit, it will have huge potential.

Anyways, thank you again for all of your help!!

Cheers,
Jen

Back