Mr Rudds first Mistake

My take on it is that whether it was an unfounded fear or not Business confidence started to slide late last year when everyone realised that Johnny was getting the boot and the incoming Labor parties economic credentials were unknown and so were their plans for the replacement of Work Choices. This spooked a lot of people. Then Rudd and Swann did themselves no favours by talking down the economy just after they won the election and before their first budget. This was for political gain and to discredit the outgoing Liberal Government but I think it backfired on the rest of us. Not a good move in my opinion.

Does anyone think that interest rates will go up sharply to kerb inflation once the credit crunch / market volatility has passed?

Mate, you're getting funny now and using that high falootin language you use when challenged. Is it an attempt at intimidation?

I wrote in my post (replying to your initial post)

"How can Rudd be blamed for the world wide downturn? Regardless of what he implemented it wouldn't have alleviated "sending more families to the wall on the basis of underlying inflation"

I was pointing out that regardless of what Kev said, it was not the cause of Australia's economic downturn or lack of business/consumer confidence.

That the cause of this downturn and lack of confidence in Australia was that we are part of the world economy and therefore not immune to downturns. The western economies are very close to a recession and that causes lack of business and consumer confidence.

My 2nd point about whinging was that its obvious (to me) that Rudd is not the cause of Australia's downturn and lack of confidence and is very easy to find a scapegoat and have a whinge.

So i think my reply was relevant to your initial post but maybe just not put in a way you like. Sorry about that mate, Is this attempt better?

Not getting pedantic, just wanted to point out that your comments had no relevance to the content of my original post to which I presume you were referring. I assume that if you actually knew something you would have provided us with an example of your knowledge relevant to the thread, but unable to do so you segued into a meaningless ramble about whinging

Mate, you're getting funny now and using that high falootin language you use when challenged. Is it an attempt at intimidation?

I wrote in my post (replying to your initial post)

"How can Rudd be blamed for the world wide downturn? Regardless of what he implemented it wouldn't have alleviated "sending more families to the wall on the basis of underlying inflation"

I was pointing out that regardless of what Kev said, it was not the cause of Australia's economic downturn or lack of business/consumer confidence.

That the cause of this downturn and lack of confidence in Australia was that we are part of the world economy and therefore not immune to downturns. The western economies are very close to a recession and that causes lack of business and consumer confidence.

My 2nd point about whinging was that its obvious (to me) that Rudd is not the cause of Australia's downturn and lack of confidence and is very easy to find a scapegoat and have a whinge.

So i think my reply was relevant to your initial post but maybe just not put in a way you like. Sorry about that mate, Is this attempt better?

Highfalutin language when challenged? its called English mate, and it’s a bit precious to insinuate that another Somersofter is a whinger and then claim that you are being intimidated when you receive a response that doesn’t suit you!!

As for the rest of you post, I presume that somewhere in there is a point?

My good friend evand,

I believe that you have me confused with this new Daz chap from Sydney. Please check the spelling of the names.

I have no interest in Mr Rudd whatsoever

Last edited:
I didnt say i was intimidated at all and i certainly dont whinge. I take full responsibility for every action in my life, good & bad.

I asked if your funny language was an attempt at intimidation. I dont get intimidated easily.

Very lame effort today Daz. 5/10.:D Thanks for the fascinating debate.

Highfalutin language when challenged? its called English mate, and it’s a bit precious to insinuate that another Somersofter is a whinger and then claim that you are being intimidated when you receive a response that doesn’t suit you!!

As for the rest of you post, I presume that somewhere in there is a point?

I didnt say i was intimidated at all and i certainly dont whinge. I take full responsibility for every action in my life, good & bad.

So what are you trying to tell us, that your a hero??

I asked if your funny language was an attempt at intimidation. I dont get intimidated easily.

But you do get confussed easily, hence your inability to stick to the subject matter!!

Very lame effort today Daz. 5/10.:D Thanks for the fascinating debate.

Thanks for tuning in.

Mate, i wasnt going to reply to your baiting but can you please point out where i didn't stick to the subject matter and why my comments - according to you - aren't relevant?

Thanks for tuning in.

But you do get confussed easily, hence your inability to stick to the subject matter!!

The Rudd government has demonstrated poor judgment since its election and it is now clear that its first major error was its rhetoric about the inflation genie being let out of the bottle. It was this alarmist type of commentary that bashed consumer and business confidence, coupled with the Reserve Bank raising rates during and immediately after an election campaign in total ignorance of the global liquidity crises that was about to hit Australia.

To sum the Rudd governments first year government, they (with the assistance of the Reserve Bank) led the Australian economy charging off the cliff Thelma and Louise style.

Is economic ignorance and a short memory a prerequisite for today's resi investing community or just a nice-to-have?

Frankly Im glad to have someone with some smarts in charge of the economy at the moment instead of that swarmy git Howard.

Howard would just be doing his best to suck up the lame duck Bush (what a great leader Bush has been in these turbulent times).

Who is blaming Mr Rudd for the financial crisis?? I was referring to Mr Rudds lack of judgment demonstrated by his carping on about an inflation crisis and exacerbating the problem from a domestic perspective.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Daz,

1. We all know that;- however, unfortunately this is where the real problem is for Australia presently and we are all still feeling its effects on a real time basis.

2. As the new Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd is leading the country in the wrong direction or/and barking at the wrong tree about the risks of a runaway inflation occurring in Australia by trying to deliberately slow down the Australian Economy and by failing to pro-actively anticipate/prepare the country for the present evolving financial tsunami that the former Australian Treasurer, Peter Costello has been publicly warning the Australian peoples well in advance during the last Federal Elections campaign.

3. Many jobs have already been lost in Australia and the various Superannuation Funds have lost much of their value heavily recently, with the ASX falling some 34% below its last market peak in November 2007 when the Kevin Rudd was first voted into power to govern Australia.

4. Likewise, with wisdom gained from hindsight, we all now know that RBA's judgement under Glenn Steven's leadership, has also quite "short-sighted", (though cautious and conservative) to a certain extent, to date, objectively speaking.

5. Apparently, the present RBA under Glenn Steven's leadership, has failed to correctly anticipate the full impact and the pace at which the present worsening of the global Credit Crunch Crisis and domino down of the global financial system starting from the USA, and which was fast spreading rapidly throughout Europe, Russia, Japan and the rest of the world.

6 Likewise, unlike its precedessor under MacFarlance's able leadership, it seems that the present RBA under Glenn Steven's leadership, has failed to correctly anticipate the present rapid pace at which the slowing down of the Australian Economy is presently taking place and the number of job loss which is fast occuring in Australia.

7. Likewise, with regard to its Official Interest Rate Policy Settings, having further twice increased the Official Interest Rate by 0.25% in Feb and March 2008 earlier year, the RBA is now trying frantically to reverse its course and inflationary concerns by suddenly cutting down its Official Interest Rate by 1% in October 2008 and another 0.25% during September 2008 respectively.

8. Consequently, I would now consider the risk of the Australian Economy falling into a technical/official Recession eventually as high, with a untested economic management team/leadership presently provided by Kevin Rudd and his ALP as well as with the present RBA under Glen Steven's leadership, having constantly to adjust its Interest Rate Policy settings from time to time, based on its own "short-sighted" projections/calculations, resulting in the RBA having to adopt many sudden knee-jerk reactions/ 'crisis-management" response style to the worsening global financial crisis rather than properly and correctly anticipating the full effects of the global financial crisis and its related implications on the Australian Economy we ll in advance and formulating a proper long term policy to manage the full effects of the global financial crisis on the Australian Economy.

9. For your further comments and discussion, please.

10. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
thumbnail.aspx

At least now he can not blame the prior government for all the problems
Australia now faces,but he plays the psychology-economics hard times lines very well..willair..
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Willair,

1. I agree.

2. It's time for Kevin Rudd to quickly grow up and to prove himself worthy of the kind of the leadership and stature expected of every Australian Prime Minister, when he was first voted into power by the Australian Peoples.

3. Objectively speaking, as a government, I find that the Kevin Rudd and his ALP as "irresponsible" by continuing to indulge in their own "social-blame" political games during the various Parliamentary sessions with their Federal Opposition counterparts, instead of trying their best to constructively engage the Federal Opposition, to productively tackle the various existing and new emerging challenges facing Australia as the governing party and Elected Representatives for the Australian Peoples.

4. For your further comments and discussion, please.

5. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Frankly Im glad to have someone with some smarts in charge of the economy at the moment instead of that swarmy git Howard.

Howard would just be doing his best to suck up the lame duck Bush (what a great leader Bush has been in these turbulent times).
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Boomtown,

1. I personally do not agree with your views.

2. I believe that you have greatly "under-estimated" Australia's continued prolonged Economic Boom Miracle over the last 16 years and the kind of high international respect/regard that Australia is presently commanding within the International Economics circle, globally speaking.

3. To me, both Ian MacFarlance, the former RBA Governor and Peter Costello, the former Australian Treasurer, were highly respected for their able and effective leadership in steering the Australian Economy safely out of the various international financial crises repeatedly, relatively unscathed, such as during the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis, the 2000 Dot-Com Bubble Burst, 2003 SAR Crisis etc

4. Even Alan Greenspan, the ex-American Federal Reserve Chairman has publicly spoken highly regarding these 2 great Australian men, on a number of occasion.

5. Alan Greenspan has further reluctantly admitted in his recent memoirs that during his active office term as the American Federal Reserve Chairman, some times, he even has to look to and to learn from the Australia's highly creative and successful economic management experiences, in order to formulate his own policy to effectively manage the world's largest Economy in America.

6. Personally, I do not think that John Howard has performed well as a Treasurer for Australia in the past, as compared to Peter Costello.

7. For your further comments and discussion, please.

8. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Back