Multiple electricity meters in the same house

Hi all, my apologies if this was already discussed but I couldnt find any specific topic, is it possible and legal in QLD to have multiple electricity meters in the same house if its not legally subdivided for dual occupancy?

Thank you

Generally you would have the main meter which is read by the electricity supplier then have sub-meters which are then read by your property manager.

Hi Nem,

Not full bottle with the Queensland rules but here they are anyway for you to read

As previously mentioned you could theoretically have as many meters in an installation as you like.

As long as you're not expecting the retailer to be reading them....:eek:

More to the point would be segregation and order of the sub circuits for that metering to ensure that the occupant of the "unofficial" unit 1 isn't paying for the occupant of "unofficial" unit 2's hair dryer......:D

Disclaimer: This used to be prohibited, because as a customer you were not supposed to "on sell", this could possibly still be the case.......:confused:

Ciao

Nor

(another issue would be switchboard accessibility)

Hi Nem,
Disclaimer: This used to be prohibited, because as a customer you were not supposed to "on sell", this could possibly still be the case.......:confused:
Ciao
Nor

Some stratas do a bulk deal and then divide according to usage within the strata title. The key thing is "divide". What you bill may not exceed what you are billed. (according to my understanding which may be out of date.)

Not much help as this is NSW but a property that is a street away from me was
set up illegally to two flats and has two separate power metres.
Council stepped in and had then take our secound kitchen and forced to have one lease.
Been like this a few years now , had a view at property recently after being listed
and it still has its two metres , so one would presume house has been wired
up separately and someone is paying two supply charges for both metres..

It was a question I needed answered a few months back, you will struggle to find an answer on the internet. So I rang Energex and asked, the lady I spoke to said yes and gave me her own personal circumstance, she had a shed out the back of her house which was used to run a business from. The shed has its own meter and receives its own powerbill seperate to the house with its own supply and connection charges etc...

However, running a business from home = allowed
Dual occ in most qld councils = not allowed

But if the council or power wholesaler dont state anywhere that you cant...

Last edited:
Back