How to convert to Boarding house?

as you know boarding house provides multiple rental income.

Does any one know if it is possible to convert a dual occupancy house to a boarding house?

how does it all work?

It really depend on how you want to operate.

I used to rent out my property by each room. The tenants pay the rent to my bank account fortnightly. I only have 2-3 tenants at once. so it's not to hard to manage.

I knew someone had a big house with 10 rooms, and rent out the rooms individually.

however, to run a proper boarding house business, you need to register with fair trading
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tenants_and_home_owners/Boarding_houses.page

Apart from legal perspective, I think the most challenge thing is how you manage the short term tenants. People come and go, sometime bring friends into the property. The higher the turnover tenants the more maintenance/repair to your property.

Have a quick read of the Building Code of Australia, the LEP & DCP for your area and the S149 (2) (5). Once you comply with all of the requirements for unrelated parties inhabiting a building, then you're on easy street.

Please take Scott's post as the cheeky thing it's meant to be. To get a house to comply you need to get complete fire ratings and fire systems, the correct number of toilets, kitchens, etc, disability access, council and gov approvals, the list goes on and so will the dollars. Good luck with the light reading! How many rooms?

My tip is to buy an already accredited one. You want a minimum of 15 rooms returning 10%+ with a manager/cleaner living in.

Thanks Scott,

Does it have to be R3 and above ?

I have printed some docs out and will be looking into it this weekend...
Lots to read

No, boarding houses are permitted in most R zonings STCA. If you read the LEP for the permitted uses within each zoning there will also be prohibited uses R2 may prohibit townhouses, apartments, airfields, opencut mining etc whereas R3/R4 will allow a greater number of high density uses.

Absolutely essential to have a manager living on the property. My observations of boarding houses in the Burwood/Croydon area of people down on their luck, transients, drunks and welfare recipients. My idea of a nightmare to manage :eek:

Back