Murray Bridge..Forget the stigma!!

TrainTrax,

Thanks for the informative ground zero summary.Your post has confirmed my thoughts and research before i bought our duplex in the bridge.I am half tempted to run again with another IP,as the one we have is a cash cow,now and into the future as the duplex is on 1 title.Problem now is the doubles on one title seem to be selling very quickly,wonder why?

Thanks Paul and Jim,

Now is certainly not the time to be going for any commercial property, unless you were an owner occupier, or could afford the 2,3,5,? years before that takes off again. Just too many empty ones that need to be soaked up first.

But residential is another matter ...

We're certainly looking to buy more when the sums add up, though our next one will hopefully be a splitter or block deal to try and manufacture some growth.

Don't want to use up all our equity and then be sidelined for too long.

Jim you wrote ...

Problem now is the doubles on one title seem to be selling very quickly,wonder why?

:) ... Yeah ... I can see value in that. They are super cheap ... and obviously could be put onto two titles which gives them more value again.

It would have to be easier to get a better price selling them individually than to try and sell them together ... and getting them revalued then has to help also.

Plus they can be cash flow positive or at least neutral right from the start.

Plenty others have twigged onto them as well, and at least one astute agent who is marketing them that way.

You also asked a question I didn't answer ... sorry.

Where are the better areas for the ill informed

Years ago, it would have been fairly easy to answer this, but with the sell-off of housing trust homes and the infilling of new houses ... there is a real change.

Also, where there were small blocks of streets that you'd want to avoid, the very next street over can now have a great appeal with new subdivisions all over the place.

I still struggle with my view, trying to delineate between where I'd be prepared to live ... and what makes a good investment.

Was it you (writing about Elizabeth) that it boils down to checking out the neighbours ... junk in the front yards, car bodies and engine blocks everywhere ... That would be a great idea here too.

Years ago, Jeffrey Cres, Frances St, Laura St, Gail Cres, most of 'Birdsville' (all the streets were named after birds) etc etc were places I would have avoided, but driving around with fresh eyes (and an investor's cap) can change things.

Anyway, enough for now.

Cheers, Roger

Thanks Paul and Jim,

Now is certainly not the time to be going for any commercial property, unless you were an owner occupier, or could afford the 2,3,5,? years before that takes off again. Just too many empty ones that need to be soaked up first.

But residential is another matter ...

We're certainly looking to buy more when the sums add up, though our next one will hopefully be a splitter or block deal to try and manufacture some growth.

Don't want to use up all our equity and then be sidelined for too long.

Jim you wrote ...

:) ... Yeah ... I can see value in that. They are super cheap ... and obviously could be put onto two titles which gives them more value again.

It would have to be easier to get a better price selling them individually than to try and sell them together ... and getting them revalued then has to help also.

Plus they can be cash flow positive or at least neutral right from the start.

Plenty others have twigged onto them as well, and at least one astute agent who is marketing them that way.

You also asked a question I didn't answer ... sorry.

Years ago, it would have been fairly easy to answer this, but with the sell-off of housing trust homes and the infilling of new houses ... there is a real change.

Also, where there were small blocks of streets that you'd want to avoid, the very next street over can now have a great appeal with new subdivisions all over the place.

I still struggle with my view, trying to delineate between where I'd be prepared to live ... and what makes a good investment.

Was it you (writing about Elizabeth) that it boils down to checking out the neighbours ... junk in the front yards, car bodies and engine blocks everywhere ... That would be a great idea here too.

Years ago, Jeffrey Cres, Frances St, Laura St, Gail Cres, most of 'Birdsville' (all the streets were named after birds) etc etc were places I would have avoided, but driving around with fresh eyes (and an investor's cap) can change things.

Anyway, enough for now.

Cheers, Roger

"Birdsville".I like this.The duplex we have is in one of those streets,and yes,i agree re your years ago comment,myself included,but times and things do change,as you have commented on.To be honest,i would never live in our IP,but i didnt buy it for that purpose,and it seems it has been a good judgement buy,lots of new development going on around Birdsville,and the unity college,can only be good for the long term.:)

Hi Jim,

,i would never live in our IP,but i didnt buy it for that purpose

Yeah ... a lot of people (outside PI) dont get that. Took me a long time too. :rolleyes:

lots of new development going on around Birdsville,and the unity college,can only be good for the long term.

Yeah, agreed. It's not like big cities where the housing trust areas are complete suburbs ... these are just a handful of streets ... and as I said earlier, the infill and adjoining development seems to be lifting the overall area.

Unity College is there for the long haul, they're going to keep spending money there and growing ... they've had plenty of ours. :)

Yeah, agreed. It's not like big cities where the housing trust areas are complete suburbs ... these are just a handful of streets ...

A very valid point which is one of the reasons i titled this thread "Forget the stigma". Most people think Murray Bridge has predominately HT homes,which is incorrect.;)

Considering the rest of this thread ... can anyone show me the negatives on these blocks ... http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-sa-murray+bridge-200402307

Cons:
  • Not the best part of town, but liveable
  • Across the road from a landscaping supplies
  • Only 100 mtrs from railway crossing ... ding ding ding :(
  • Cypress Tce is a heavy vehicle route
  • Rear blocks are on community title
  • ... and particularly narrow ... 9.5 and 10 mtrs wide (still 445-500sqm)
  • Land has a fair slope towards the rear

Pros:
  • Hard work is done .. blocks ready to go
  • 1Km from TNR meatworks crying out for accomodation for it's workers
  • Less than $35k per block when the cheapest blocks in town are generally $65-75k+
  • Remaining blocks are between 491-577sqm

Having said all that, I live about 1k from these and while I wouldn't line up to build a PPOR there for myself, I have no doubt anything built there would still be snapped up by renters.

Any thoughts please. :)

Cheers, Roger

Last edited:
(still 445-500sqm)
  • Land has a fair slope towards the rear.Hard work is done .. blocks ready to go .
i would ask a few simple questions.All the hard work is done??
Sewer points?
water points?
underground power?
drainage?
sealed common driveway?
Kerbing?

Rear sloping blocks can be a nightmare.If the sewer cannot flow with gravity,You cant push &*^% uphill,SA Water can and will put a easment over the land to cover this,Extensive retaining walls are expensive as well.
Civil services quotes tend to read like mobile telephone numbers,so watch this one.

Last edited:
i would ask a few simple questions.All the hard work is done??
Sewer points?
water points?
underground power?
drainage?
sealed common driveway?
Kerbing?

Rear sloping blocks can be a nightmare.If the sewer cannot flow with gravity,You cant push &*^% uphill,SA Water can and will put a easment over the land to cover this,Extensive retaining walls are expensive as well.
Civil services quotes tend to read like mobile telephone numbers,so watch this one.

Whoops ... :eek: Thanks.

I can see sewer points being a major expense unless there is access from Cypress Tce (unlikely).

Drainage, yes ... big problem as well.

Retaining walls too! All those things.

Now I can see why it hasn't been snapped up ... that slope really kills it.

Thanks. I guess that's what I'm here for ... an education. :)

Also,on google maps,there is a 1st national sign on the fence,which is not who is selling it now.And it says Prime Industrial Blocks,so i would question has this been changed to R1.Whoever owns it has already looked at carving it up,hence the division plans.Seen the civil cost to do,and is bailing,IMO

Also,on google maps,there is a 1st national sign on the fence,which is not who is selling it now.And it says Prime Industrial Blocks,so i would question has this been changed to R1.Whoever owns it has already looked at carving it up,hence the division plans.Seen the civil cost to do,and is bailing,IMO

Good eye Jim. It sounds like there is more than meets the eye.

Those signs were on land diagonally across the road from the blocks in question :)

Google street view shows that Ray White is selling it, and also shows some Sterling house and land package signs ... but it's now on the market by 1st Real Estate. I also found some reference online to AV Jennings being involved at some stage too.

I just had another look at it while I was out for lunch and it has probably a 3mtr fall from the driveway in Alma to the diag opposite cnr on Cypress.

If the back 4 blocks could be levelled (terraced) parallel to Alma, they could drain out to Cypress (if council allowed), but the driveway would be one great funnel! The top 4 blocks would still be a problem too.

Then, as you said ... sewerage is going to be a problem ... unless there is a line going down Cypress.

Either way ... a lot more to it than I'd thought about. :(

Those signs were on land diagonally across the road from the blocks in question :)

Ugggghhhhhh,i was looking at the wrong one.....derrrrrrrrrr.The new houses built on the land borders,wonder if there is a sewer easement at the rear of those properties,that would help.
The current agent would be able to give you the low downs on whats been found in respect to water,sewer & drainage.
Would still cost a few bob to develop though,once you start,there is no stopping as its too hard and costly though.

Just goes to show that I shouldn't "assume"! .. What's the saying ... makes an *** out of you and me !!! :eek:

Turns out the land has not had titles issued like the heading seemed to indicate ... so is still in the "proposal" stage.

According to the agent the owner has spent quite a bit towards the community title acquisition ... whatever that amount actually is ???

He also mentioned having just recently subdivided into four titles, another block here in town and the subdivision cost was $45k for the lot. They've all been sold already with three settled and the last to settle in a few weeks.

Also mentioned there'd been a lot of new activity because of the money being thrown in by the govt, with another parcel of land having been sold to be split into 6, and with the developer wanting to fast track the building construction to access the $$$.

I am thinking Christian Rd.

Yeah, that's the one.

Certainly a much nicer area than Alma Ave ... lots more built up and modern homes etc.

The larger area behind is the one snapped up by the developer for 6 more blocks

Thought so.The 4 blocks are the road frontage.The additional 6 are at the rear,the "expensive" ones to develop with all the services needed to be within the common driveway.

Ahh! Ok. That makes sense. Pick the low hanging fruit.

He said two of them were under contract within 24 hrs of listing.

He also mentioned they'd sold another ex-housing trust home. Listed it Fri night and sold it Sun morning. I'm pretty sure it was just one side of a duplex, not both.

Back