Murray Bridge..Forget the stigma!!

I was up there a bit over a week ago to go to Monarto and speedway. I have to admit the place is a lot better than I remember it. Can't get over how friendly most people were - in less than an hour I had 3 random people say 'Hi'.

Although there was also the drug dealer loudly telling his mate how he 'smashed' someone :-/

It's hard to rid a town like Murray Bridge of it's stigma...ask a Port Augusta resident!

:) You're right Fuzz ... in fact there's no point trying. Pretty pointless exercise.

I've lived here over 30 years, and it's not the odd feral or bogan that I give much thought to, it's the generally pretty decent people that make up the majority of the population and who I choose to spend my time with.

Is my glass half empty or half full?

I've always said I could live anywhere ... though I'd have to qualify that by saying I'd need somewhere there were enough decent people to be in relationship with.

I know the thread tag says "forget the stigma" but I don't really care one way or the other ... and I know I'll never convince anyone who has made up their mind that this place is the pits ... it's not really any of my business what they think.

... unless maybe I was selling real estate and badly wanted people to buy down here :D

Our local paper yesterday had two letters to the editor bemoaning the fact that someone could not rent a 4 brm house here in MB, despite an "impeccable" renting history (according to them anyway). ;)

Whether it has anything to do with any real rental shortage ... or a less than honest applicant I don't know.

Anyway, first time I've seen this complaint from that angle.

That house has quite nice brickwork on it, no cracks or lines.

Willing to disclose price paid?

$210/wk, the rent in MB is always so low. Do you think there is going to be a big shift in rents in the medium term, or just inflationary rises?

That house has quite nice brickwork on it, no cracks or lines.

Willing to disclose price paid?

$210/wk, the rent in MB is always so low. Do you think there is going to be a big shift in rents in the medium term, or just inflationary rises?

Paid 170k.Rent will go to $250pw in line with our other MB stock.Plan is to render the home,and cut the back off for a cottage.The site is approx 900sm,not the advertised SM.

Paid 170k.Rent will go to $250pw in line with our other MB stock.Plan is to render the home,and cut the back off for a cottage.The site is approx 900sm,not the advertised SM.

Good work Jim! Sometimes what's shown on re.com.au hides the real potential.

Render yourself, or do you have a contact?

Seems like a healthy return and a good buy.

How do you go about cutting the back off? Is that something you discuss with the tenants before they move in.

Thats assuming your doing the cutting now and not in the future.

Bumping this one up to see if there is any interesting news on MB? Anyone else apart from Jim had a crack at finding an IP there? Anything else interesting on the market there?

Cheers, Paul

Jim I'm dubbing you the expert on the area

I'm Flattered :D. I have looked at the Hill st property,and would be the better buy.The corner blocks are going to be especially valuable,as the Development Plan has just been amended for more infill building and more affordable housing,as in medium density.Overall,i would think the price was pretty spot on,see how long it lasts,with 2 bathrooms and possibly a 4 bedder,rent would be quite good as well.Now ya got me going.......may give Peter another call tomorrow.
This thread may interest as well

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91093

Last edited:
Hi guys,

i am planning to buy a property for investment in murray bridge. Is still right time to buy? or am i like 5 years too late that the values have moved significantly?

Hope i could get any advice here, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ondo

i am planning to buy a property for investment in murray bridge.

Myself and a few fellow investors are heavily invested in Murray Bridge.I don't think its too late,most properties can still be bought and positively geared without too many issues.There are lots of new builds going in,and infills which is what i like doing.My opinion is its the next Mount Barker,and we all have seen whats happened there!Which area are you actually looking to buy? and what budget are you looking to spend?

Back