My Computer is Infected (apparently)

Hi

I need some help QUICK!!

Was surfing SS and other sites and a box came up saying i needed to upgrade a program and ughhhhh!!!!! Sucker me!! I don't even remember what it was. I usually close those unless I know what they are.

It closed down a few windows and now I have a balloon saying my computer is infected and I need to buy malware immediately and download it.

I'm currently scanning my comp with Norton antivirus and in the morning will scan again with AGV. Will that pick it up or shoud I buy the malware or is that just another suck in?? :rolleyes:

I have a new icon next to my clock called Spyware Strike 2.5. Its also planted itself next to the start button. I really don't need this crap happening right now. Anyone got any ideas?

Helpppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got the best virus protection. You don't need anymore. Just make sure you have downloaded the latest virus definitions.

Definitely a scam to make you buy something you don't need.

If the programme has installed you can safely delete via the control panel. You can get rid of the icon on the task bar by right clicking on the task bar, selecting properties & customizing the task bar to never display this icon.

Regards

Andrew

PS: Just in case don't PM me.... :p

I think Norton antivirus is cr*p. Download AVG by grisoft, its free and works heaps better than Norton, I used norton for years and always had problems with it, I've been using AVG for about 1 year now, no probs at all. I also like to use AdAware and Spybot to regularly scan the computer to remove any of these "spy ware" programs.

AVG free edition
Adaware free edition
Spybot free edition

Todd,
No doubt the application is running along with a related service. First place Id look is in add remove components within control panel. (Im assuming youre running Windows) If you cant see anything listed there, you could try task manager and looking for any unusual processes, however you really need to know what youre doing to be at that level. Id take a look in the event viewer also, under either Application or System.

When in doubt your best friend is Google. Typically you can download and run cleaners, that are designed specifically for certain types of spyware or viruses. Id say what you have is probably spyware.

As a suggestion, you could try either of these two ...

Ad-Aware
CCleaner

Theyre easy to use, just download, install, update the signature file and scan the system.

Also, run your windows update. I wont ask what "other sites" youve been viewing! :p

Good luck,
RJ

Todd said:
I think Norton antivirus is cr*p. Download AVG by grisoft, its free and works heaps better than Norton, I used norton for years and always had problems with it, I've been using AVG for about 1 year now, no probs at all. I also like to use AdAware and Spybot to regularly scan the computer to remove any of these "spy ware" programs.

AVG free edition
Adaware free edition
Spybot free edition
go with todd.
No need to buy anything.
regcleaner is also useful but dont use unless you are desperate and you know what you are doing. Spybot should do the trick

Thanks all for the replies.

Both Norton and AVG picked up a virus but they called them different names.

Norton said i was Trojan.zlob and AVG showed it as replmap.dll and also Trojan horse generic.OLO. Although they both picked it up they didn't remove it.

I'm now downloading and installing Spybot, thanks for the recommendation. I'll rest much easier when its all fixed though. I play a lot of card games online in Yahoo Games ( and I mean a lot!! :p ) and I can't get into it. The Trojan seems to have stolen my java!! :eek: :mad:

Oh well, back to it and any other advise or comments are most welcome.

NOT how I planned to spend my day off!!

Cheers

I've got a "Winfixer" window which keeps popping up. Apparently it's not uncommon- but neither AVG nor Adaware have fixed it.

btw, I got infected about the same time that somebody posted some video links in this forum. The thread was removed quickly, but the infection apparently lingers on.

SOS,
I had similar problems a while back with spy ware popups......
if you go into the microsoft updates homepage,and look for the m/s download
Anti Spyware Beta 1, i down loaded this free test progame to fix up the problem
what did worry me was the amount of key board collector trojans that i had to wipe from the p/c.i Don't know why anyone would want to see what i type in the p/c
i Can't spell anyway.sorry just can't seem to post the link,but its on the main
download page..
good luck
willair..

ggumpshots said:
go with todd.
No need to buy anything.
regcleaner is also useful but dont use unless you are desperate and you know what you are doing. Spybot should do the trick

I liked AVG but a year or two ago it kept producing false warnings and could not corral certain trojans (eg the 'Dropper' trojan. Pity, I liked AVG. So I got McAfee. For general interest, is the free AVG performing better now?

Lplate said:
I liked AVG but a year or two ago it kept producing false warnings and could not corral certain trojans (eg the 'Dropper' trojan. Pity, I liked AVG. So I got McAfee. For general interest, is the free AVG performing better now?
Avasti is free and works well . I switched from AVG as I wasnt sure it wasnt catching everything at times

FWIW
Here the address for a freebie called Shields Up - which shows if any ports are being held open, typically by Trojans. Go to the address. (Shields Up is a Spinrite product).Click proceed. Go to All Ports Probe. Been using it for a few years now, so far so good.
www.grc.com

Norton's website has 2 free scans, antivirus & vulnerability. Worth a try.
I love the way Norton sales spiel says that so many new nasties are written and released every day, and how vital the software protection and virus definition updates are, while their auto-update only gives you updated definitions every 3-4 days. Yeah right. Want a day on the computer ? Ring Norton tech support and ask them for help on removing one of their suite programs like Norton Internet Security - never again.
Dumped Norton after it gave more problems than it prevented, several times.

I have a mixture of freebies and purchased software ( anti virus and anti everything else - spyware, malware, scumware etc) and the current combination works harmoniously and keeps everything out :

Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security ($)
Trend Micro Anti Spyware 3.0 ($)
Webroot SpySweeper ($)
Ad-Aware SE Personal (free)
Spybot (free).

Hope the you get rid of the real soon . I hate 'em to pieces. :mad:
cheers ;)
crest133

Ok, its been a longggggggggggggg dayyyyyyyyyyy

I've tried installing Spybot and ad-aware several times. It seems to install ok but when I try to update the definitions it says 'program not responding'. :mad:

Malware Wipe sorta installed itself or did i sorta install it?? :confused: It said ' a free scan' which it does but then tells me I need to purchase it to remove it after it tells me there are 90 odd infections. Any other program has an 'unistall' option but not Malware Wipe. What's with that?? I don't want it!! That makes me think its dodgy.

Also, when i start Internet Explorer it starts to go to my default page and then goes to www.yoursecuritysystem.com. Is that a microsoft site? That's where the Malware Wipe stuff is. The same page also tells me the spyware I have is a very high risk and that my personal info is being collected by W32.Sinnaka.A@mm. Is that right or jsut another suck in?

I've had a gut full of it all. :mad:

Sultan of Swing said:
PS Could the programs not be responding because Norton is blocking it? :confused:
steps

down load registry cleaner or regisrty mechanic and
do system restore.
uninstall nortons
boot in safe mode
above steps arent a requirement but a good idea

run the registry cleaner program and see if you can delete the program this way. You need to know the name .
Be real careful...if you are not sure seek further advice
if it works remove/ do a new system restore

SOS,
is it worth just cutting your losses and doing a reinstall of Windows.
This will mean any data and programs you have loaded will be deleted (if you have a backup of the data that is good or can you afford to lose it).
Install all your programs that you use and start fresh.

Sometimes this is the quickest way (but not the easiest if you don't have everything at your fingertips).
Peter.

Back